Flexible electronics spec when moving from beginner to intermediate airframes

snuffy

I have spec'd up the following from combining various articles on forums and info from YouTube over the past several weeks, and would like the perspective from the professionals on here as to whether it will be suitable for use on the below airframes. I am looking to limit the cost when progressing from the trainer, up to the Versa Wing/Specter 2/Bixler, so am looking for something that will allow the flexibility to move the electronics from the trainer to the other airframes.

I am a novice, so should I have made any glaring mistakes/oversights, please feel free to laugh and set me straight :) (I have ignored items such as radio & receiver, connectors, prop-savers and small items).

Models:
  1. FT SwappableTrainer - a standard high-wing trainer with optional dihedral wing or flat wing (Part-built)
  2. FT Versa Wing (pusher config) (half-built)
  3. Specter V2 - popular twin-boom, for FPV
  4. Bixler 2

Kit:

I hope I shall be able to dial down the power on the motor from my radio for the trainer, and maybe increase the prop size for the Versa Wing?

Does the above spec sound reasonable? It appears to be ok from my noob perspective, but may you know otherwise, or have a more cost-effective or better performance to price ratio idea?

Cheers,
Snuffy

Ron B

Posted a thousand or more times
I think you are going to want the bigger prop for the trainer and the smaller prop for the wing.

NewZee

I'm using the NTM 26 28 1200kv motor with 1300 mAh 3S (30C) batteries and a turnigy 25A super plush ESC! this combo works very well in three different planes (Spitfire, Old fogey, and a Cub I designed) I do use different size props 7X5 for the cub, 8X6 or 9X6 for the Spit, and a 9X4.7sf for the Fogey . I think your power combo will serve you well! Might want to get a few different size props to experiment with.

snuffy

Prop sizes

I think you are going to want the bigger prop for the trainer and the smaller prop for the wing.

Ahh, yes, I recall now, for slow flying you need low rpm and large prop for low end 'grunt', and for fast flying you need high rpm, smaller prop as the larger props at high speed require greater force to turn and therefore higher wattage.

Thanks Ron B

snuffy

I'm using the NTM 26 28 1200kv motor with 1300 mAh 3S (30C) batteries and a turnigy 25A super plush ESC! this combo works very well in three different planes (Spitfire, Old fogey, and a Cub I designed) I do use different size props 7X5 for the cub, 8X6 or 9X6 for the Spit, and a 9X4.7sf for the Fogey . I think your power combo will serve you well! Might want to get a few different size props to experiment with.

Thanks NewZee. I shall be purchasing this weekend, and will get a range of props (and watt meter) as you suggest.

Thanks.

whiskeyjack

Hang on to your cheque book there Snuffy. A 2200kv motor no matter who makes it will swing props in the 6" range, 6x4, 6x3 and on the outside a 7x4.(7x4 on 2s battery) Anything above that and you will overload the motor and ESC.
The FT trainer your talking about, is that the FT Flyer? If it is then refer to the recommended motors. You will find they are all similar, 1100 to 1300kv swing large slow fly props weighing in at around 25 grs.
But I do understand the value of having one set up for all your planes but the ones you list I think the Wing and the Bixler may be the only ones that would benefit from a 2200kv and a APC style "pusher" prop. I can't comment the Specter because I am not familiar with that design.
You might be further ahead if you do this in 2 steps, first with the recommended power setups for the swappable series and when you are ready move up to the 2200kv setup which will open new doors for aircraft you can build using that motor. It's up to you! WJ.

snuffy

Hang on to your cheque book there Snuffy. A 2200kv motor no matter who makes it will swing props in the 6" range, 6x4, 6x3 and on the outside a 7x4.(7x4 on 2s battery) Anything above that and you will overload the motor and ESC.
The FT trainer your talking about, is that the FT Flyer? If it is then refer to the recommended motors. You will find they are all similar, 1100 to 1300kv swing large slow fly props weighing in at around 25 grs.
But I do understand the value of having one set up for all your planes but the ones you list I think the Wing and the Bixler may be the only ones that would benefit from a 2200kv and a APC style "pusher" prop. I can't comment the Specter because I am not familiar with that design.
You might be further ahead if you do this in 2 steps, first with the recommended power setups for the swappable series and when you are ready move up to the 2200kv setup which will open new doors for aircraft you can build using that motor. It's up to you! WJ.

The FT Trainer uses the swappable power pod but is a high wing traditional trainer style plane.

OK, I understand. I'll work out the costs for a smaller motor. I have a feeling I need to do some math to determine the battery options there. I need to watch the beginner series again on electrics to fully understand; been a while since I did electricity in science class!

Thanks whiskeyjack.