FlexRC Owl 118mm / LUX FC / DLUX OSD / Busybee2 4-in-1/ SunnySky R1406 3300kv rebuild

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Back at it again. Another rebuild of my first FlexRC Owl 118mm frame. After spending several months fighting the last incarnation which turned out to have a bad Gyro on the FC, I pulled it completely apart and started from scratch. Taking advantage of newer parts to tidy up the build and also wanted a tamer 3300kv build compared to the other 4000kv build. All the old parts are going to other builds going on behind the scenes. (you have seen some (awk210/ danaus) and will see others pretty soon (falcon130 + ???))

Build Specs:
Frame: FlexRC Owl 118mm
FC: Luminier LUX (picked up a used LUX V1, waiting for pre-ordered LUX V2 to be released and shipped)
OSD: Luminier DLUX (fancy stackable micro MinimOSD with usb, 5v and 12V BECs)
ESC: Busybee2 20A BLHeli_S 4-in-1 ESC
Motors: SunnySky FPV Racing Motor R1406 3300KV
RX: TBD (have known compatibility issues with the LemonRX 0037 I usually use and the LUX)
Camera: TBD (want to upgrade from the pico cams used in the past)
VTX: TBD (RMRC Cricket v2 200mw??? or maybe just a 25mw??)

Going to start with BetaFlight. The LUX can run BetaFlight, RaceFlight, and dRonin, so there is plenty of opportunity to compare different firmware on the exact same hardware.

Have the Motors wired to the 4-in-1 ESC
BusyBee2andMotors.jpg

Add the FC on top of that, he LED bar on the back, and the LemonRX (to be replaced)
FcRxLeds.jpg

Add the DLUX OSD on top and pico camera, current sensor, and XT60 power plug (Cam will be upgraded before completion) Adde props too to make adjustments to the stack alignment to avoid choppng wires....
LuxStackedOwl.jpg

Side view of the stack (we're almost in the air!!!)
LuxStackSideView.jpg

With every new combination of gear, there are always some quirks to figure out. That is part of why I like to use different hardware on every build... I'm Nutz ;) The LUX did not let me down. The documentation is kind of vague and the RX input pin is shared with the UART1 RX1 pin.... So initially had the OSD and RX contending for the same Uart. DOH. Next was the 3.3V power from the LUX does not suit the LemonRX LM0037 Diversity receiver and it is a known incompatiblity. Now that all that is worked out, should be up in a day or two. Just waiting on good weather and daylight.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Well, more quirks figured out and now I am ready to maiden. Was going to try using a Strix Ochi 650 camera, but it appears the DLUX OSD is not compatible. The Lumenier DLUX OSD also violates the rules of serial communications well established for many decades. Instead of crossing TX->RX between the OSD and FC, you run TX-TX and RX-RX. <sigh> Wasted a ton of time figuring this one out.

Sometimes the incorrect picture really is correct! LOL
DLUXpinouts.jpg

Checked the Firmware on the 4-in-1 ESCs. BLHeli_S 14.2 which is known to have desync issues. Flashed up to latest version, calibrated ESCs from BetaFlight, and disabled "programming by tx". Armed long enough to get a quick sanity check. Too late to LOS. Looking forward to getting this bird back in the air after a long time on the sidelines. Temporarily mounted the pico cam and a 200mw VTX up to complete testing. Looking to swap those out and tidy a few things up for it's final configuration.

DluxOwlSide.jpg
DluxOwlCheckout.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Came in here for a refresher for how I set it up last rebuild. Still enjoy playing around with these Owl builds. Swapping dRonin in place of BetaFlight on the LUX FC . Hope to get it to the dome tomorrow night. Going to swap out the VTX for a low power or switchable power unit. Thought this was a 25mw and it's a 200. Might have contributed to reflections and all the flashing last time in the dome.

Cheers!
LitterBug

vickj55

DLUX OSD

Back at it again. Another rebuild of my first FlexRC Owl 118mm frame. After spending several months fighting the last incarnation which turned out to have a bad Gyro on the FC, I pulled it completely apart and started from scratch. Taking advantage of newer parts to tidy up the build and also wanted a tamer 3300kv build compared to the other 4000kv build. All the old parts are going to other builds going on behind the scenes. (you have seen some (awk210/ danaus) and will see others pretty soon (falcon130 + ???))

Build Specs:
Frame: FlexRC Owl 118mm
FC: Luminier LUX (picked up a used LUX V1, waiting for pre-ordered LUX V2 to be released and shipped)
OSD: Luminier DLUX (fancy stackable micro MinimOSD with usb, 5v and 12V BECs)
ESC: Busybee2 20A BLHeli_S 4-in-1 ESC
Motors: SunnySky FPV Racing Motor R1406 3300KV
RX: TBD (have known compatibility issues with the LemonRX 0037 I usually use and the LUX)
Camera: TBD (want to upgrade from the pico cams used in the past)
VTX: TBD (RMRC Cricket v2 200mw??? or maybe just a 25mw??)

Going to start with BetaFlight. The LUX can run BetaFlight, RaceFlight, and dRonin, so there is plenty of opportunity to compare different firmware on the exact same hardware.

Have the Motors wired to the 4-in-1 ESC
View attachment 77811

Add the FC on top of that, he LED bar on the back, and the LemonRX (to be replaced)
View attachment 77812

Add the DLUX OSD on top and pico camera, current sensor, and XT60 power plug (Cam will be upgraded before completion) Adde props too to make adjustments to the stack alignment to avoid choppng wires....
View attachment 77813

Side view of the stack (we're almost in the air!!!)
View attachment 77814

With every new combination of gear, there are always some quirks to figure out. That is part of why I like to use different hardware on every build... I'm Nutz ;) The LUX did not let me down. The documentation is kind of vague and the RX input pin is shared with the UART1 RX1 pin.... So initially had the OSD and RX contending for the same Uart. DOH. Next was the 3.3V power from the LUX does not suit the LemonRX LM0037 Diversity receiver and it is a known incompatiblity. Now that all that is worked out, should be up in a day or two. Just waiting on good weather and daylight.

Cheers!
LitterBug

How did you set up the port on the LUX FC so it would talk to the DLUX???

LitterBug

Techno Nut
How did you set up the port on the LUX FC so it would talk to the DLUX???

UART2 TX --> DLUX TX
UART2 RX --> DLUX RX

It seems dumb, but the way they built and labeled the DLUX this is the way it needs to be wired. Then configure MSP on UART2 in your firmware configurator and all is good!

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: FWIW, This frame is going through yet another rebuild with a LUX2. Was a rough and tumble indoor season resulting in a broken upper frame. LOL Main frame still intact.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
So these motors have been, how do I put it nicely, VERY un-ideal for this build. Too much vibration, not enough thrust, just all around not fun. Completely stripped this frame down last night and am going to go back to DYS 1306 4000kv motors that I had originally built this frame out with. Have recently been flying another "test" Owl frame with my second OWL Frame electronics and motors (Emax 1306 4000kv) and really had some good flashbacks of how this frame used to fly. So on to the 4th iteration of this frame. Going to keep the same electronics, change the main power wiring, and motors. Also switching back from pull to push prop orientation. Will probably test a new micro FPV camera that has much better optics than the diatone pico cam that is currently on it.

Breakdown of previous builds on this frame:
1) SPR F3 acro FC, Clean/BetaFlight, individual DYS XM20A ESCs, DYS 1306 4000kv motors
Flew GREAT
2) BrainFPV RE1 FC, dRonin/Betaflight, 4in1 20A BLH_S ESC, F20 4100kv motors
Twitch of death. Turned out had bad gyro/ACC on FC
3) "Used" LUX FC, BetaFlight/dRonin, 4in1 20A BLH_S ESC, Sunnysky 1406 3300kv motors
Lackluster performance, poor thrust, Vibrations freak out FC mid throttle.

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Completely stripped it down last night, started on the rebuild tonight. Got the motors and 4in1 ESC mounted, wired up the motors, and verified correct rotation. Was running typical puller orientation with the previous iteration, going back to pusher this go round.
It4MotorsESCb.jpg
It4MotorsESCa.jpg

Cheers!
LitterBug

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Well nuts.... This is a setback....
DOHtooStrong.jpg

90% done, plugged the FC into the 4in1, gave it a little extra oomph to make sure it was in.... (Guess that was a LOT of extra oomph....) and knocked the :mad: signal connector off. Gotta undo the tape on the motor wires, unbolt the motors and FC stack, and hope I can get the heat gun in the right place.... <sigh> I dislike micro connectors. Just sayin' :black_eyed:

Cheers!
LitterBug

Last edited:

LitterBug

Techno Nut
So after trying to solder the connector back on with limited success in alignment and connectivity, I decided to scrap the connector and hard wire it. It was WAY more eazifieder that way and all is good in OWL land. Have both back in action with 1306 4000kv motors and the owl goodness is all most excellent again! Had them both out LOS in the back yard, but the bees must be gone. Nobody was chasing...

The FlexRC Owl TWINS are Back and happy fliers!
OwlTwinsRback.jpg

Just need to finish up the FPV gear.

Cheers!
LitterBug

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Yeah after breaking off two of them micro connectors on my VTX's I started super gluing them before even trying to connect anything to them. I don't know why they don't get epoxied like when I was doing board fabrication back in the 80's and 90's.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
FlexRC Owls flying at Flite Fest East '17

Took my lightest built full size Owls to Flite Fest last week. One with 25mm standoffs SPRF3 Evo FC, the other with 30mm standoffs and LUX V1 FC. Both running dRonin Firmware. What a blast Flite Fest is! If you ever get a chance, GO! Had them set up for LOS with no VTX on-board. Didn't want to accidentally plug in over top of someone else, and also didn't do much FPV out of not liking to get plugged in on top of and loosing FPV feed like can happen at huge events. Left the micro Runcam cameras on. Wasn't too concerned about hurting those, they are built like a tank! Have LEDs on one and used it for night flying. Also have a giant spider that likes to fly along.
20031637_10211167321873405_3225934130001615384_n.jpg
Found some video from TJ's ive stream of one of the Saturday night flights. Link goes right to where it starts. Ends not long after I had a mid-air with a plank. No owls or Spiders were harmed in this video!
https://youtu.be/DrA8P47Lv28?t=2592

Had a few people who wanted to know what made the spider tick. One is an original Owl frame I bought used off the RCGroups Owl forum, the other is a test frame that FlexRC cut with some special Lightweight sauce for me to do some durability testing. Stefan let me enter "The Spider" in to the Sunday 12:30 Combat session. Had a price on my head as soon as I took off! :cool: Got tagged at least once and the spider got bent making fighting the wind a bit tricky and also ended up running the battery down pretty quick. Ended up out in the corn field and spent a good amount of time searching for my poor lost spider and owl buddies. Finally gave up and walked out of the corn only to find a fine young man that had come out to help us look for downed planes in the corn had retrieved it. Not an ounce of damage! Bent the legs back, bought him the FT kit and power pack of his choice, and snapped a pic of him and his dad with the Owl and Spider buddies.
SpiderAndOwlFOUND.jpg

Absolutely LOVE these frames for their versatility and durability! Still love to fly them even with all my other bigger badder faster builds.

Cheers!
LitterBug