Flight Controllers.

IcedStorm777

This may be a stupid question but what flight controller do I use for fixed wing planes. I am wanting an OSD and to not have a lot if any soldering and want it to be pretty easy to work with (so preferably no coding from scratch.) What options do I have and what all will they give me (OSD, GPS, Airspeed, Altitude, Heading etc.). Thanks!

IcedStorm777

And how well would a Matek F411 work? With a matek F411 would it already have accelerometers, gyro, OSD, etc. on board or what? Thanks!

Last edited:

IcedStorm777

I have some other questions. I am planning on getting an F411 board. How would the ESC's attach to the board? So I understand that we attach the two main ESC wires to the board but their are three wires (that we usually plug into the recievers JST port) and there is only S1 and ground and S2 and ground so how do I get that to work. Out of the box what features does the OSD show? Thanks and sorry for the ignorance!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
The Matek FCs are great for running iNav and has all the features you are looking for. You could also add a GPS if you wanted Speed, and/or Navigation capability. I have several of the larger f405,f765, and H743 wing controllers. You will have to solder the pinheaders and power leads to the board, but once that is done you can use plugs for the servos and ESC(s).

Cheers!
LitterBug

IcedStorm777

The Matek FCs are great for running iNav and has all the features you are looking for. You could also add a GPS if you wanted Speed, and/or Navigation capability. I have several of the larger f405,f765, and H743 wing controllers. You will have to solder the pinheaders and power leads to the board, but once that is done you can use plugs for the servos and ESC(s).

Cheers!
LitterBug

Outstanding! Is there a GPS you would recommend that won't break the bank and doesn't have 0.0001mm solder pads :). Thanks so much!

IcedStorm777

Thanks so much for the answer! Last question (until I get my F411) which one is better, is there any difference? The GPS will just show me airspeed right? Also, do I have to buy pins separately to put on the F411 or do they come with the pack? Thanks!

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Thanks so much for the answer! Last question (until I get my F411) which one is better, is there any difference? The GPS will just show me airspeed right? Also, do I have to buy pins separately to put on the F411 or do they come with the pack? Thanks!
GPS will give you an additional altitude fix, speed, direction, and position. You would be able to domreturn to launch, heading lock, pre-planned routes, etc... In addition to just flying. The pins come with the FC.

LB

LitterBug

Techno Nut
Either one will work just fine. Everyone pretty much uses those same ones and just puts their stickers on them. ;) The more expensive one has a compass which you really don't need for a plane. It is highly recommended to use the actual direction of motion from the GPS for planes unless you are going to be doing VTOL/hovering.

LB

IcedStorm777

If you are buying an matek f411, get the F411-wse version. It has much better filtering on the video feed.

Thanks for the advice, I did end up getting the Matek F411 because there was a really good deal locally for one ($20) and my GPS gets here on Tuesday so hopefully everything works smooth but otherwise I might have some INAV setup questions. Thanks so much!

CarolineTyler

Legendary member
Thanks for the advice, I did end up getting the Matek F411 because there was a really good deal locally for one ($20) and my GPS gets here on Tuesday so hopefully everything works smooth but otherwise I might have some INAV setup questions. Thanks so much!
Add a 1000mf low ESR capacitor across the battery inputs, I found it cleaned up the video considerably :)

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I was looking at the specs for the 411wse and was surprised that it actually lost a pWM out. 4 instead of 5... It picked up another camera input for camera switching, but I would rather have more PWM out....

IcedStorm777

Ok so I just got my F411 and I have to send it back because it was damaged so hopefully I will get it by the end of the week. That being said it didn't come with any pins so if I don't have pins how do I attach servos and stuff? How can I get some of those pins? Thanks!