Flight Psychology/Philosophy (and THEORY....) 101 (L4)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Lesson 4.

When I was a pre-teen itching for a chance at the controls, we didn't have jets, or 3D, or even fast gliders. We did have guys that went vertical. To me these guys were like Michael Jordan and I wanted to be like Mike :eek:

Nowadays, Mario Müller could be my hero. When you watch this, pay special attention to the crisp, clean and very decisive maneuvers through the vertical plane. The half cuban eight and reverse half cuban eight turnarounds.

It seems as though most guys tend to prefer racetrack patterns in the horizontal plane. Where is your style on the horizontal-vertical continuum?

*Simulator Tip* Take you warbird or other power plane up on the slope. You can get various closeup views of your maneuvers.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Hmmm........no takers. Too esoteric? Not interesting or important?

I would encourage everyone to be a little creative in their flying. Your airplane is operating in 3 dimensions. Carve it up a little! If it's going up and has safe altitude you can push the stick in just about any direction.

Last edited:

earthsciteach

I would describe my flying style as free-form and eccentric. Others may describe it as unplanned and chaotic. Same thing. :cool:

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
I'm the same at Patrick above, I do not fly patterns and just free flow and do what feels nature in the air with the occasional loop, roll, and stalls thrown in for fun.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I'm pretty free form as well. I don't do patterns either. Not yet anyways. I have been known to try to get my money's worth out of battery charges however. If you if you crack the occasional smile while you're doing it, you are probably doing it right ;)

Last edited:

F106DeltaDart

Elite member
I fly at a club, so the pattern is more or less mandatory if there are others in the air. But, when I am (frequently) the only one at the field, I like to change things up a bit. Loops, rolls, immelmans, and Cubans 8s make things much more fun, especially when its done smoothly, and slowly. That Jet glider is certainly beautiful and smooth in that regard! Here is a video of my typical flying when I have the airspace to myself.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I fly at a club, so the pattern is more or less mandatory if there are others in the air. But, when I am (frequently) the only one at the field, I like to change things up a bit. Loops, rolls, immelmans, and Cubans 8s make things much more fun, especially when its done smoothly, and slowly. That Jet glider is certainly beautiful and smooth in that regard! Here is a video of my typical flying when I have the airspace to myself.

Very smooth. I like. Need to get me an EDF.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
I would describe my flying style as free-form and eccentric. Others may describe it as unplanned and chaotic. Same thing. :cool:

If they like it or make the oooos and ahhhh it's free-form and eccentric (eclectic?). If they scratch their heads and frown it might be something else :rolleyes:

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
That jet glider (who knew that existed????) is gorgeous.

I can only imagine the time this guy has spent getting to this level. Thanks for the post.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
That jet glider (who knew that existed????) is gorgeous.

I can only imagine the time this guy has spent getting to this level. Thanks for the post.

It is indeed very cool. There's some nice orange ARF hi performance motor gliders here at Flitefest. I need to get some details tomorrow. They look like they might be good "trainers" for that style of flying.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
It is indeed very cool. There's some nice orange ARF hi performance motor gliders here at Flitefest. I need to get some details tomorrow. They look like they might be good "trainers" for that style of flying.

The motor gliders they were demoing were Strix Stratosurfers. Very cool and sporty.

Last edited: