Flight Psychology/Philosophy (and THEORY....) 101 (L6)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
What's the difference between a trainer and a front line fighter? Take away the armor and armament and it's speed and power.

I was thinking about gifts recently and I thought about this:

cox10.jpg

Which got me to thinking about this engine:

Black Widow SP 2.jpg

Then this plane that was powered by it:

1350.jpg

As was this one:

4600.jpg

That was way too much to think about so I went back to this. A very nice looking foamboard RC version of the PT-19 by Mike Robey. Article here.

pt-19.jpg

The PT-19 was a primary trainer used by the military. Pilots would transition from these into the T-6 Texan and then on to the front line fighters. In the following video you will see how a pilot trades altitude for speed and vice versa. You will see a demonstration of most of the basic maneuvers. You should also note that this little 200 hp airplane could fly as good as the pilot that was flying it.

A lot of the fancier stuff is just a matter of combining loops and rolls.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Thank you for the nostalgia trip!

My first plane, (scratch built), was a Cox powered Q-Tee and even now I have an Electric powered S-Tee with the streamlined cowl but modified for Ailerons.

As for the question of the difference between a trainer and a fighter! A trainer is hopefully designed to be stable enough to return the trainee pilot safely to the ground whereas a fighter is designed to have the highest speed, greatest maneuverability, and a heavy hitting weapons package.

As for the pilot of a fighter, EXPENDABLE! 2 famous fighter aircraft each the best of its era were famed for their unforgiving nature towards their pilot. Both killed a large number of trainees and inexperienced pilots and one actually killed or injured more pilots than were lost in combat.

The 2 planes? Simple! Sopwith Camel and the BF109.

Have fun!

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Thank you for the nostalgia trip!

My first plane, (scratch built), was a Cox powered Q-Tee and even now I have an Electric powered S-Tee with the streamlined cowl but modified for Ailerons.

Nice! Glad you liked it.

The Q-Tee and the S-Tee represent 2/3 of the balsa airplanes I built back in the day. They were great.

I was noticing how that 36" wingspan seems larger than I remember. The tiniest of engines. I also built a .40 size shoulder wing trainer, one ARF and did one refurbishing of a Middle Stik.

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
I agree that 36" seems bigger now than back then. Also I do not remember them being quite so fast!

As for others I had a kit C/L Spitfire, Das Ugly Stick, and a Super Turkey that I fitted a .19cuin Enya.

Things were simpler back then!

Have fun!