Flight Test Aura 5 light installed in Nano Goblin Question

jerryn

Hi,

I installed a Flight Test Aura 5 light in my nano Goblin. I had a FrSk9 S6R installed but no matter how the sensitivity was set it was extremely twitchy
As you can see from the flight video, the wind is N/NE at @ 17mph. My club's airfield is near the coastline so it does get extremely gusty.
Here's the Nano Goblin flying with the S6R:

I figured the Aura 5 lite with my Spektrum Satellite receiver was a better match for the nano Goblin.
I have it installed and configured. One question, I had the airplane laying flat on my bench and was testing elevon travel. When testing 6 axis stabilization and low rates (mid position on the gear switch) If I hit the pitch stick to push the aircraft down the elevons barely moved. Up elevon had a little travel. 3 axis high rates had the expected amount of travel for the elevons. Is this normal ? I know how crazy the nano goblin flies in high winds. I can land it manually but I don't want to crash it. The goal is to install a Split Cam nano in it with TBS Crossfire and VTX. But I want to see how well it flies first. It's easy to do loops and barrel rolls with it.

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I can't speak to the Aura 5 light myself (given that it requires a Windows executable to configure it, I am apparently not the target market), however you should be able to change the PID values and your max rates and setup expo on the controller board (at least you can do all of this with most Flight controller software packages). I would take a look at your configuration.

looking at the wind sock, it was clearly very gusty were your at, which will always make more work for the flight controller (and likely make any miss match on the config to model characteristics very evident).

jerryn

I run Linux.. and I followed the Flight Test non computer setup. just boot, and use the bind/trim button to setup wing type, direction, etc.
I can check it with a windows vm... maybe the software allows you to change the PID values and max rates.

The flight you watched was with the FrSky S6R reciever. I checked the forums, on large airpanes it works fine. On small aircraft no matter how the PIDS and gyro sensitivity is set it's twitchy.

dap35

Elite member
I run Linux.. and I followed the Flight Test non computer setup. just boot, and use the bind/trim button to setup wing type, direction, etc.
I can check it with a windows vm... maybe the software allows you to change the PID values and max rates.

The flight you watched was with the FrSky S6R reciever. I checked the forums, on large airpanes it works fine. On small aircraft no matter how the PIDS and gyro sensitivity is set it's twitchy.

I would connect to it with the windows config utility and make sure the setup is clean. I'm on a Mac, so I ended up with a VM as well. I have one installed on a FT Mini Scout and initially the rudder compensation was reversed so it was very squirrelly. After setting a fresh config and making sure all was right, mine flies great.

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I have a couple Nano Goblins and other nano flyers. They do not like wind. Stabilization does help, but there is only so much you can do with a very light plane in gusty conditions. The control surfaces and the stabilizers are pretty flexy, and some people replace them with balsa to get rid of some of the flex. I mostly fly mine at dusk or dawn when the air is calm. Your video above shows there was quite a bit of oscillation. I'm guessing that was when you had the stabilization enabled.

Make sure you know which switch your flight modes are on for the Aura 5 and have checked all three on the ground. I would not be too concerned about the servo motions in 6 axis on the ground before you have actually flown it. Get it in the air and try all the modes before you start making changes to the config. I currently have an Aura 5 in a Strix Alatus Race wing, and another on the way for my newest Nano Goblin. I haven't flown either yet, but should have them out to the field in the next couple days. We'll have to compare notes on Aura 5 settings after we get them in the air. :)

Cheers!
LitterBug

EDIT: FYI, I'm a linux guy myself. Winderz is a necissary evil so I have a copy to boot from if it is absolutely necissary.

Last edited:

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I choose to spend my $ on products that don't force me to use windows (at least when at all possible).

yes, in the video, it looks like oscillation, which is probably to much P and to little D.

dap35

Elite member
I choose to spend my $ on products that don't force me to use windows (at least when at all possible).

yes, in the video, it looks like oscillation, which is probably to much P and to little D.
I agree that it is aggravating when only one OS platform is supported. Especially, when that platform is Windows. I have a VM on my Mac for the last couple of hold outs and recently gave in and resurected an old Thinkpad with Win10 so that I could run RealFlight. First time I have had to sully my hands with that OS in many years. I think the Thinkpad started with RHEL5 or 6.