Flight Test Covering Question

TinmanJones

I'm just learning about Flight Test. I'd like to buy an airplane from the site, but am confused about covering the airplane. From looking at the pictures, it looks like all the builds come uncovered. If that's the case, how are you all covering the airplanes? Do you paint it once built? Use some sort of iron on covering? Or is there another way that I've never heard of? Thanks for any insight.

tamuct01

Most folks will paint them with foam-safe spray paint. There are other techniques using colored packing tape. I would stay away from iron-on covering as the heat required to set the covering will likely melt the foam. Some don't paint at all and just decorate with stickers and magic markers. It's really up to you, but I'd stay away from anything that requires heat and be cautious with paint as some will eat the foam. Test on a scrap piece first.

Piotrsko

Master member
And the brown kit foamboard is semi waterproof and slightly hot fuel proof, so no protection may be necessary. My FT Bronco was wet grass and lawn spinkeler proof. Anyone mention minwax for waterproofing?

tamuct01

I seal the edges of the water-resistant foamboard with thinned wood glue. It works well and doesn't add much weight.

Merv

Site Moderator
Staff member
...but am confused about covering the airplane...
Covering a FT plane is completely optional. If you are using the original DTFB, you will want to waterproof it, landing in dewy grass will reduce the strength of the FB. I use an oil based polyurethane, the stuff used for wood working. Wipe it on, let it set an minute or two, then wipe off any excess. Anything that is not too heavy and will not destroy the foam will work. Paint, colored packing tape, vinyl covering are all widely used. Use caution with rattle can spray paints, some will eat the foam, it's the propellent, not the paint. If you hold the spray can 18" or so away from the foam, it will allow the propellent to evaporate. All water soluble paints are foam safe, something like apple barrel acrylic paint from Walmart. Low temp airplane coverings films will work with caution, ~200F. High temp coverings will not work, they melt the foam, ~350F.

Last edited:

skymaster

Elite member
It's very much optional, if you want it for show take your time with the scheme you are goin with. but if you are like a lot of us that got beeff with the ground and wana help plant some plane's in the ground see if they grow into trees that give off airplane's instead of fruit Lol. I myself want to hit the ground and see if my plane come's out some where else so far no luck. Best of all have fun and male friends. enjoy and good luck.

WillL84

I'm not bothering to cover my Legacy at all. I'm sure it'll get crashed and repaired many times. Once I get my "learn to fly" wings I'll move on to another model and then spend the time painting it or whatever lol