Flight time with reccomended swappable setup

N222NY

Hi guys! I'm curious about how much flight time folks are getting out of the "beef" power setup:

FT Racer
Emax GT2215-09 1180KV
Lazertoyz 20 Amp ESC
1300 Mah Lipo 20C discharge and 5 C charge rate

Lets assume light winds, 70 degrees, and normal throttle useage.

I know there are a lot of things that effect batteries....just looking for a ballpark estimate based on this setup..8 to 10 minutes maybe?. Also I'm curious on how folks measure this.

Shawn

NewZee

Hi guys! I'm curious about how much flight time folks are getting out of the "beef" power setup:

FT Racer
Emax GT2215-09 1180KV
Lazertoyz 20 Amp ESC
1300 Mah Lipo 20C discharge and 5 C charge rate

Lets assume light winds, 70 degrees, and normal throttle useage.

I know there are a lot of things that effect batteries....just looking for a ballpark estimate based on this setup..8 to 10 minutes maybe?. Also I'm curious on how folks measure this.

Shawn

Great question I'm curious myself also a newbee so I set my timer for 6 minutes fiqured I should get at leat that much time on my 1300 mA lipo. (I'm assuming I can keep them in the air that long)

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Haven't played with the beef setup, but I typically use this on my fixed wings:

http://www.lazertoyz.com/Programmable-Battery-warning-alarm_p_397.html

The same widget is sold in many different places but the design is usually very similar. Two features to look for: loud alarm, and adjustable voltage threshold.

I *don't* trust the default setting of 3.3v/cell (why you want an adjustable one). That will typically burn down my batteries below empty. I've grown to be happy setting 3.7v/cell. at that setting, I'll ignore it at WOT, but I'll land if it sounds at cruise throttle. I'll usually have 15-25% charge left, which is a good target for long battery life.

Flynn

I'm guessing the the Racer is close in spec to the Spitfire and I've been getting 9-10 mins with a 2200 mah. However, I've been using 25c. I did get some 20c, I'm yet to try that out.

xuzme720

Dedicated foam bender
Mentor
The "C" rating won't change the flight time, only what the maximum amp draw the battery can provide. mAh rating tells you how long it will provide that power for and therefore how long the flight times will be at full draw. 2200 mAh would provide 2.2 amps for 1 hour in a perfect world if you could use all of it and not hurt the battery. Real world safe draw is about 70%. If you are getting 10 minutes, you are probably drawing an average of around 9 amps.

How did I get that?
Battery can supply about 70% of it's rated current. 70% of 2200=1540mAh total usable capacity

1540mAh=1.54 Ah means battery can supply 1.54 amps for an hour but you are only getting 10 minutes. Multiply 1.54 x 6 to get what the amp draw is in 10 minutes and you get 9.24 or an average of 9 amps.

Have you ever put a wattmeter on it to see what full throttle draws?

Flynn

Once again xuzme, you the man! I started with heli's. So I had a bunch of 2200 at 25c a couple at 40c laying around. I wasn't sure about the c ratings effect, thanks for clearing it up. I need to get a watt meter. The last three months I've been starting with 8x4 and trying different things from there.