Flight Time with the Rotorbones Tri

Mastrmindz

Hey everyone!
A few months ago, I built the FT rotorbones tricopter and have had a blast with it. One issue that I have is flight time. Using a 2100mAh 3s battery, I only get between 5-6 minutes of flight. Does that sound low, and if so, any suggestions on how to increase the flight time? Also, how big of a battery is "too big" where the weight counteracts the mAh provided? I have been thinking about stepping up to a 3200mAh battery or possibly connecting two batteries in parallel. Thanks for the feedback.

cranialrectosis

Faster than a speeding face plant!
Mentor
I fly an 650 gram (without the battery) Bat Bone with an 1800mah or a 2200mah or a 3000mah 3S battery.

I get between 6 and 12 minutes of flight time depending on how hard I push the copter.

I fly acro. With the 3000mah lipo the copter flies like a bus. I can flip it but mainly I use the weight as ballast on windy days. The 1800 is the lightest and the copter responds best with it. But flying the 1800 hard torches the battery in about 6 minutes. The 2200s are a good middle ground giving me 8-10 minutes depending on how hard and fast I fly.

I fly at 6,300 ft above sea level. I fly Suppo 1450kv motors with 8045 rotors and I run my batteries until any cell hits 3.7 v.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
My 2200s running the Altitude Hobbies kit run between 8 and 10 minutes for me depending on how hard I push the copter. What battery are you running and how old is it?

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Yes and how do you charged it, What size is the battery, how low voltage do you go before stopping the flight, what alarm do you use to measure he voltage?

More on the battery, how many cycles has the battery had, what voltage do you store it at when not in use and how long do you leave it at a fully charged and empty state. All these things should effect flight times.

Jim Bridger

I'm fairly new to multi-rotors having recently built a Tri Bat myself. I am running the FT recommended Turnigy Park 300 1380kv motors on a 2200 3s and get 8-10 minutes just hovering and taking it very, very easy. 8x4.5 slow props btw.

I have a 3300 3s battery i plan on testing tomorrow if it is not too windy. I will let you know know flight times. Curious myself although not expecting anything drastic in either direction.

I plan on testing out some SunnySky X2208 KV1260 motors once they come back in stock. Not sure if 1000kv difference will have much of a difference. My current Turnigy motors are very warm to the touch after burning a battery at 40-50% throttle. Also one of the cans is already loose w/ slop in the shaft.

FinalGlideAus

terrorizing squirrels
Those park 300 motors don't like running 8x4.5 props. That is why they are hot. They are too big and you are killing the motors. Unfortunately flitetest continues to recommend them and we continue to say the same thing when new members come on here. Rather frustrating. I know because I have park 300's sitting in my spares draw for the same reason. You will probably just kill the motors quicker by adding the extra weight of that bigger battery. The new motors you are looking at should go nicely on 8x4.5's. Maybe even try 9x4.5's. Another Sunnysky to look at would be the x2212 1400kv which runs really nicely on 8x4.5 props on 3s.

Jim Bridger

Thanks FinalGlideAus. Appreciate the feedback. I tested the 3300 3s tonight and got 11 minutes for flight time w/ 3.6 volts remaining on the pack.

Rear motor was extremely hot although that is the one w/ the issues. Regardless they are all too hot. Talked to Buddy RC today and they are hoping to have SunnySky motors in this week.

I will experiment w/ 9x4.5 on the new setup in hopes of more efficiency. I have some SK Flashed ESC too. If anyone cares i'll share my new data.

cranialrectosis

Mentor
Thanks FinalGlideAus. Appreciate the feedback. I tested the 3300 3s tonight and got 11 minutes for flight time w/ 3.6 volts remaining on the pack.

Rear motor was extremely hot although that is the one w/ the issues. Regardless they are all too hot. Talked to Buddy RC today and they are hoping to have SunnySky motors in this week.

I will experiment w/ 9x4.5 on the new setup in hopes of more efficiency. I have some SK Flashed ESC too. If anyone cares i'll share my new data.

Bet those park 300s LOVED that 3300. :D

Make sure you check all your rotor and motor mounting screws after a warm up like that. It is amazing how fast heat will back out a machine screw. :black_eyed:

moldavia

I'm using a Turnigy Nanotech 3S 2200mAh on my FT simple copter tri. I have 10x4.5 props and Multistar MT2213-935KV motors. I get almost 15 minutes flight time. My voltage alarm is set to 3.5v/cell. Granted I am mostly hovering and learning to fly this thing.