Flite Fest 2014 Road Trippers Organize!

lonewolf7717

Fun, fellowship, flight and friends.....2014 Flite Fest has been officially announced and will be upon us in short order. I would offer that this thread be a place to coordinate and organize all those either:

1. Planning to make a road trip to Ohio for the event and are more than willing/have the extra space to pick up fellow like minded travelers
2. If you would like to go but are unwilling or unable to make the journey alone.

We will have a great many vehicles of all shapes and sizes converging upon Malvern, Ohio in July from all over the place. I suggest if your able to accommodate others on this journey and wouldn't mind a little extra company please make that known here. Ideally I would like to see this thread utilized to match up folks that can then hash out the details and specificities via the forum PMs.

To keep things as clean and straightforward as possible if you are willing to lend a ride please state your point of origin and schedule (roughly).....likewise for those that may be seeking a ride. Remember RC enthusiasts going to an event such as this may have more rc gear than clothes so compromises may have to be made on one or both sides of agreeable parties.

Organization is not a strong suit for me so if anyone else has suggestions as to how the thread should be directed I'm all ears. Happy flying!

http://flitefest.com/
http://www.flitetest.com/news/flite-fest-2014-kickstarter

lonewolf7717

Fort Worth, TX
Plan to hit road the 23rd with possible stop overnight around Nashville. Complete rest of drive to Malvern the 24th.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
This is an awesome example of what a great community the Flite Test fans have created. I can't wait to see how this develops.

Just a warning, be careful who you ride with. ;)

A few years ago at SEFF, a guy decided to commit the ultimate insult, by dumping out an ashtray onto the Hodges Field grounds. Mac is very meticulous about his field. Even one cigarette butt hit by the mower flowers up into a white blob of offensiveness. Well, when confronted, the guy was a bit of a jerk about it. Mel, the Hodgehound enforcer went to politely discuss the situation with the guy, and unfortunately for the butt dumper, he thought it was wise to puff up at the suggestion that he clean it up. Mac happened to be right behind Mel.

Mac is the easiest going, nicest guy you could meet, but do not disrespect him and his hospitality. The man was told to leave, right then. Unfortunately, the guy was a passenger with his friend. Who they had to track down, and they both left. I would not like to have been the cig chucker on that ride home...

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I'll be driving my station wagon full of gear but would love a RV to sleep in. I've done these July fly-in before and they are no fun for me without A/C. With hotels further than I would like from the event I would love to sneak a bunk with someone. I'll quote my post from the roll-call thread:

"Well, My wife had a suggestion that I'll throw out there. To whomever has room in their RV for me to sleep I can offer prints or plots of plans as a trade. I can plot plans up to 36" wide and print them up to 44" wide. Both in color. I'll roll them up and throw them in the car. If you want more than just FT plans let me know. I have many plans on file and have access to many others from sources online."

If I have to I'll bring a tent. I really don't want to though.

bitogre

Ft Lauderdale, FL area
I am up for participating in this but will not ride with smokers (for a different reason than that brought up by Flying Monkey). I plan on hitting the road on the 23rd.

My reason for not wanting to ride with smokers is I hate the smell of smoke and I'm unwilling to make extra stops so that the smoker can get their fix. Also, I have been burned too many times by smokers (mainly renters lying to me about not smoking in the house and not cleaning up after themselves).

However, to address the point of Flying Monkey, I do not know about you, but if I was the guy who gave the cig chucking jerk a ride (or any other person stupid enough to get themselves kicked out of any event), I'd give him a ride to the closest hotel or make them take a taxi to the hotel. Then I would to back to the event and leave them to pay for the hotel and figure out what they are going to do until I am ready to head home. If they do not want to wait for me, they can find their own way home. Why should I be punished for someone else's mistake? And I have no problems adding to their punishment as it is a logical consequence of their actions. They should have thought about it before doing something that would get themselves kicked out of any event.

epicstrikard

Actual Pilot, RC Idiot
I own and fly two full scale aircraft currently. I will be flying over the day before the event. I can pick up as many people as needed. I can take 5 at once. I am willing to make multiple runs. Taking my Cessna will also allow us to take quite a bit more gear.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I own and fly two full scale aircraft currently. I will be flying over the day before the event. I can pick up as many people as needed. I can take 5 at once. I am willing to make multiple runs. Taking my Cessna will also allow us to take quite a bit more gear.

Hey guys, I know fuel in aircraft isn't cheap. If you take epicstricard up on his offer, you should really pitch in a few bucks ($25 or so should be enough) to help pay the fuel expense.

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
if anyone is in the Baltimore area let me know. Teach and I are planning to drive out together in our own vehicles.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
However, to address the point of Flying Monkey, I do not know about you, but if I was the guy who gave the cig chucking jerk a ride (or any other person stupid enough to get themselves kicked out of any event), I'd give him a ride to the closest hotel or make them take a taxi to the hotel. Then I would to back to the event and leave them to pay for the hotel and figure out what they are going to do until I am ready to head home. If they do not want to wait for me, they can find their own way home. Why should I be punished for someone else's mistake? And I have no problems adding to their punishment as it is a logical consequence of their actions. They should have thought about it before doing something that would get themselves kicked out of any event.

That's EXACTLY what I would have done… if I was feeling kind enough to give him a ride instead of making him walk.

And you can just call me FM, or Fred. ;)

Tactical Ex

I live in Saint Petersburg Florida (right next to Tampa). I'd like to go but I don't have reliable transportation. If someone has a spare seat on the way up, I'd be happy to pay for my fair share of travel expenses. At this moment, I haven't even mentioned it to my wife who may need my help with her business at the time of the event (in which case I wouldn't go) but I'd like to see what the possibility of going is before I say anything.

lonewolf7717

Awesome! Thank you for the offers of assistance thus far and I should imagine this process will remain very fluid at least in the beginning. To the couple cautionary notes....YES! To those seeking rides I have no doubt you will be both courteous and respectful of those willing to lend a hand but by same token I would be remiss by not making mention. To those offering rides, "mind your gut" or in other words use your best judgment when making arrangements, this is not an obligation but a sacrifice on your part....so protect it and be choosy if you wish. There are a great many tangents this could take off into...from bunking arrangements, splitting rv rental costs, bringing extra camping gear for someone else and to something as simple as "you get the drinks and I'll get the chips" sort of details. I personally will be bring extra tent or two plus sleeping bags for those that can at least get there but may not have all the gear required to set up a flying base camp.

CrashRecovery

Mentor
If this keeps going like the way it is, they will have a fleet of rental cars for people to sign up for

eagle4

I live in Montreal, Canada. If anyone is going from this area I'd love it if I could grab a lift. I can provide beers and lots of bad dad jokes ;)

andybenton

NERD!!!! :)
Well I can't get out of work for this event, but I'm around elizabethtown, south of Louisville ky, anyone stopping in this are with some spare time, shout at me and maybe we can go do some flying

CrashRecovery

Mentor
wilsonman, depending on how the ft crew needs stuff done before it starts will determine when teach and I head out

Todd Optional

I'm in Port Huron Michigan and my son and I are attending Flite Fest... I'm planning on renting a vehicle to make the the trip... If anyone is in the area and is interested making the trip, please contact me!

Pumpster

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Will do Crash. If they need a hand with setup before the event starts on Friday I did schedule off work Thursday as well so I can travel. I'm not really a good event putter-togetherer, but I'm young (ish) and stupid enough to volunteer to help with whatever.