Flite Fest 2015 Volunteers Area

It WOULD be nice to see an official post from the Fureys regarding this. My group of 4 is planning on driving 12 hours Wednesday, and camping at Furey field that night. I have no intention of imposing on someone, and would hate to sleep in a walmart parking lot for the first night. LOL! Even if it were volunteers only or something, it could posted in the volunteer only secret forum.

Rob D

It WOULD be nice to see an official post from the Fureys regarding this. My group of 4 is planning on driving 12 hours Wednesday, and camping at Furey field that night. I have no intention of imposing on someone, and would hate to sleep in a walmart parking lot for the first night. LOL! Even if it were volunteers only or something, it could posted in the volunteer only secret forum.

http://forum.flitetest.com/showthread.php?16007-FF15-Question-Thread/page8
Scroll thru near bottom look for Austin Furey post.

Thanks
Rob

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Hi guys!
FlyingMoney sent me here. I'd like to volunteer for Flite Fest 2015!
I was at FF2014 just for an evening and a day. This round I've decided to stay for the whole event this time.
A little about me: I'm a 50 year old printing/graphics guy from Rochester NY that has been flying for about 3 years now.
I was going to come this year with some friends, their kids and my daughter but everyone has cancelled on me...including my own daughter! So, instead of giving up on the trip I have decided to head down to Ohio on my own. Since I don't know anyone I thought volunteering would be a good way to pass the time and meet some folks. So now what?
According to FlyingMoney this is where I subject myself to the abuse of four or five department leaders trying to win me to their section.
Is there a floater position where I can move to different posts during the week?
Someone mentioned a volunteer registration. I still need to register.
Thanks!
Stephen

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Hi guys!
FlyingMoney sent me here. I'd like to volunteer for Flite Fest 2015!
I was at FF2014 just for an evening and a day. This round I've decided to stay for the whole event this time.
A little about me: I'm a 50 year old printing/graphics guy from Rochester NY that has been flying for about 3 years now.
I was going to come this year with some friends, their kids and my daughter but everyone has cancelled on me...including my own daughter! So, instead of giving up on the trip I have decided to head down to Ohio on my own. Since I don't know anyone I thought volunteering would be a good way to pass the time and meet some folks. So now what?
According to FlyingMoney this is where I subject myself to the abuse of four or five department leaders trying to win me to their section.
Is there a floater position where I can move to different posts during the week?
Someone mentioned a volunteer registration. I still need to register.
Thanks!
Stephen

You are more than welcome to come help out in the build tent whenever you have some free time and want to hang out and meet people. :applause: That's where all the cool people are going to be! ;)

abieex

Mentor
We could use the help at the main gate as I can't set a schedule till I know who is helping. The folks in the build tent are foam zombies with mean dispositions!!

Rasterize

Maker of skins and decals for foam board RC planes
Mentor
Ok quick question and I apologize if this has been covered before:
So all joking aside, is there no single person in charge of volunteers and would therefore assign people (resources) based on need?
Just trying to get a feel for how this is structured. :)

Last edited:

abieex

Mentor
There really isn't just one person. There are several areas to volunteer for and you simply choose the one you like best or fits you best. Main Gatekeepers, parking, registration, build tent, flight line or first aid. Hope I haven't forgotten anyone!

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
So all joking aside, is there no single person in charge of volunteers and would therefore assign people (resources) based on need?

Fred, I hate to say it, is the main person in charge of the volunteers. Then there are leaders for each group.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Unless the group is super awesome, then there is even an alternate lead. ;)

um . . . yeah . . . because none of the other teams have alternate leads . . . just team lead assistants . . . totally not the same job. Because the build tent team rulz and all.

Wha? NO! Why would anyone think I'd make up a flashier title?!? I'm totally sure monkey had a part in that . . .

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
um . . . yeah . . . because none of the other teams have alternate leads . . . just team lead assistants . . . totally not the same job. Because the build tent team rulz and all.

Wha? NO! Why would anyone think I'd make up a flashier title?!? I'm totally sure monkey had a part in that . . .

Like I said...super awesome! :p

abieex

Mentor
All this build tent stuff is starting to make my stomach hurt! If this keeps up I shall lock down the main gate. Paul Blart (mall cop) is my second in command grand puba potentate. Take that!!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
All this build tent stuff is starting to make my stomach hurt! If this keeps up I shall lock down the main gate. Paul Blart (mall cop) is my second in command grand puba potentate. Take that!!

wannabees :rolleyes:

earthsciteach

There is a single person in charge of volunteers, but he's sloughing off his responsibilities to the "department managers." Typical mid-level management type move.

Your question is a good one, as I have asked it myself, thereby proving its worth. That's typical lower-level management type, take credit for others' ideas, stuff. In a perfect world, each area will have its share of volunteers so that no one person ends up working an unfair amount of time. Reality is likely to be that, at various points of time, we will need to solicit additional volunteers for any given area. This will be the responsibility of Flying Monkey.

We really should come up with a "code" when this occurs. For instance, at the summer camp where I volunteer as a counselor, Code Brown indicates either the need of a child to make his way to a toilet or the failure to do so. I am not coming up with any codes off the top of my head that would be suitably agitating for Flying Monkey, so I hope others can fill my creative void. "Code Weasel" is the best I got, but I really think this code needs to be used for those instances where Flying Monkey is not properly fulfilling his management duties. As such, feel free to call, "Code Weasel" whenever you are not experiencing a utopian volunteer environment. If your area is suffering from a lack of manpower, Code Weasel. If you have to go to the porta-potty, Code Weasel. If you are hot, Code Weasel. You all get the idea, I'm sure.

By the way, the registration tent will have free coffee for volunteers. I'd love to say it'll be Eric's coffee, but since he is now an official, full time FT employee, I cannot make that promise. He is now part of upper level management.

abieex

Mentor
Ok, is it to early to call Code Weasel? I say we remove Flying Monkeys comfy chair from the hangar and commandeer the coffee pot!