Flite Fest 2015 Volunteers Area

abieex

Mentor
Normally I would join in and pick on Monkey but one should remember that he makes duty assignments at FlightFest. Mess with the bull and you get the horn!!!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Normally I would join in and pick on Monkey but one should remember that he makes duty assignments at FlightFest. Mess with the bull and you get the horn!!!

haha...you said doody! :applause:

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
This year I hope to have a giant dry erase board that I will have the daily assignments on... hope.

abieex

Mentor
That brings up the question of just how many volunteers will be needed on a daily basis. If I remember correctly a lot of us needed to work some pretty long days to get the job done. Not complaining, I thoroughly enjoyed every minute and the orange shirt was icing on the cake! Something to think about. I believe we were using about 8 people per day just in parking and many of those guys finished a parking shift then went to flight line, build tent or trash clean up duty. Wilsonman and Makattack were real workhorses!

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
If I recall correctly, we tried to kick you out several times abieex. Which reminds me, I think I need to add a few more people whose job will beto make sure you take your breaks when you should.

This is a thread for people who want to volunteer, or have volunteered and want to share experiences and ideas to help make Flite Fest 2015 an even more successful event than the first one.

I can do some volunteering, but am going to throw out a condition. No shirt - no volunteering. No, i'm not simply being a materialistic jerk, hellbent on a free t-shirt, LOL! I volunteered last year, got there on day one, and shirts had been given out to walk in volunteers. I never got one. What a bummer, but oh well, its just a t-shirt, right? Wrong. My job was to walk the flight line, and make sure everyone was having a good time, help anyone with anything (barely a job, I know). But no one knew I even WAS a volunteer! People need to be able to pick out the Staff in the crowd, with little effort. Whether its trouble finding Bixler for an autograph, or needing a "Dora the Explorer" band-aid, or a lost child, looking for Dad. ORRRR, (here's what happened to me) a new volunteer releiving you from your shift, has no idea you are the volunteer on duty, so you keep working.

Hat, t-shirt, re-usable vest, something. But I think An orange hat with a propeller might be cool, LOL!

And yes, Fred, a marker board would be AWESOME.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Wilsonman and Makattack were real workhorses!

Steve, I had a great time chatting with you and Steve Zvada at the end of the driveway that first day. My goal was to learn more about this new hobby I had just gotten into, and since I only brought two planes and few batteries, and had never flown with other planes in the same airspace, I restricted my flights to quiet times. Volunteering was a great way to learn about the hobby and the community. The real work horses were the ones telling me what needed to be done. You didn't help because the competitive part of me had to show I could be on my feet longer than you!

abieex

Mentor
Your a sick man Mak!!!! Lets try to fly as hard as we work this year. Im looking forward to seeing everyone again and I know we'll all have a great time.

CartCurt

Missed the party last year. Will be there this year. I am willing to put my time in as a volunteer for whatever job needs doing. I'll be there for the whole thing. What day is the soonest that volunteers are needed? Bring a popup camper that I would like to setup on site.

Newtown

Hi All. Here's my two-cents based on 2014 Flite Fest. This was a fantastic event and I want to do everything I can to support it this year.

1. LOVED quality wrist bands. They said, "class event." Maybe backup alternative paper bands for those with bigger wrists?

2. LOVED the pilot ID tags. Another sign of a "class event." Still have mine hanging on the wall. Maybe provide file folder stickers so we can write our name on them, stick them to both sides of the tags at the bottom (they always get twisted), so we can easily learn each other’s names.

3. Some sort of printed schedule of events available at check in. (Maybe there was one last year. I can’t remember now.) Not to prevent last minute additions and changes.

4. Clearly marked INFORMATION table at registration and/or near center of flight line. Have a list of cell phone numbers there of volunteers and such who are knowledgeable in certain areas and willing to help.

5. Clearly posted list of services and assistance that are available, maybe at Information table. For example, buddy box flights for newbies, FPV questions, airplane repair, electronic trouble shooting, first aid of course, and local knowledge (Where’s a nice place to get a beer?). See earlier suggestion regarding list of names and cell phone numbers.

6. Clearly marked section of build tent devoted to newbies. I know there probably won’t be too many of them but even those with some experience need to know where to go for basic questions. Maybe knowledgeable “experts” clearly marked with volunteer t-shirts or maybe orange vests. (I have several I can bring. They are fairly cheap.) As Grenadapult pointed out, volunteers definitely need to be identifiable. Plus, people working by the driveway on in parking areas, definitely need something like an orange vest to make them stand out.

I'm going to have to make arrangements within the next day or two for the trip. I'm currently estimating on arriving on Monday evening. Hope that's not too early to be in the way of the Furey's with nothing that needs to be done, and not too late to be able to help as much as I can.

back for another year

ill be there again this year and will help pat in registration again ill be bringing a friend to help to

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
I was speaking with Austin a little yesterday on the topic of FTFF15. They're getting things lined up already. Keep the ideas and suggestions coming, because we're slowly getting things "in stone" so we want to hear from you before the final decisions are made.

themajik1

Monkey/Bear Poker
Mentor
I will be there to do what I can to help as well. Not all that good a building, but willing to do what I can to make FTFF as good and better than last year!