Flite Fest 2015 Volunteers Area

bgfireguy92

Hey guys, so couldnt make FF2014 lst year due to work but I will be there this year. Already put in for my vacation time. Im up for helping with anything. FlyingMonkey I am a Firefighter/Paramedic SO my question is God forbid anything were to happen more than a scratch but do you have an EMS plan setup and people there that can respond in an emergency? I can help you setup something with your local fire dept/EMS ambulance service if you dont (which you really should though). But I will do anything to help out from washing dishes to cleaning up. My heart is in helping people (in case you didnt figure that out in my job.) Also whats better Im debating between camping out or getting a hotel.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Hey guys, so couldnt make FF2014 lst year due to work but I will be there this year. Already put in for my vacation time. Im up for helping with anything. FlyingMonkey I am a Firefighter/Paramedic SO my question is God forbid anything were to happen more than a scratch but do you have an EMS plan setup and people there that can respond in an emergency?

We did. Ryan, aka crashrecovery is also in your line of work and was our man in charge of all things "first aid" related. He was awesome. But, considering how large FTFF was last year, and with it only expected to grow this year I am sure he would be glad to have someone to share the responsibility with.

I can help you setup something with your local fire dept/EMS ambulance service if you dont (which you really should though). But I will do anything to help out from washing dishes to cleaning up. My heart is in helping people (in case you didnt figure that out in my job.) Also whats better Im debating between camping out or getting a hotel.

Good point, I know that Ryan had brought that up last year and had worked out the logistics of it. We're still working out the final details of the volunteer roster, but I know the more hands available the better. Even with the 40+ volunteers we had last year, it seemed we didn't have enough. I'd really like to have so many people that no one volunteer is having to put in too many hours so they can actually enjoy the event they came to help with.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Awesome! July isn't that far away. It's certainly something to look forward to on these cold and frozen days. I can't wait until I can go outside without having to wear long sleeves and socks!

bgfireguy92

Cool I'll be happy to work with anyone. Maybe I'll start gathering some supplies from the job to bring with. Now my second part to that was my question on camping vs hotel?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
Cool I'll be happy to work with anyone. Maybe I'll start gathering some supplies from the job to bring with. Now my second part to that was my question on camping vs hotel?

That's easy, camping! There's so much going on all night long, and starting again early in the morning, that you would hate to miss out on any of it. If you watched the giant FT flyer episode, that test flight was done sometime about midnight.

Last year we had a portable shower brought on site. So, it's not like you're forced to "rough it" because you camp instead of travel back and forth to a hotel.

That being said, we were on the border of being full last year. And I think we'll have even more people this year. So when preregistration begins, make sure to book early!

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
If you watched the giant FT flyer episode, that test flight was done sometime about midnight.

Ha! Midnight he says!

Build tent closed at midninight, just for quiet hours . . . but that hangar stayed open *much later*. Almost certianly *WON'T* be building in there this year, but even so, the flightline at 1:30 AM wasn't *all* dead, just *mostly* dead.

Saying that, I'll echo "camp", even though I might not -- My wife refuses :p

Last year that meant some VERY late nights, but by the time I got back in the next morning, the place was already jumping. Nearest source of hotel rooms is about 30 min away which makes for a painfully long commute with soooo much fun waiting :)

. . . speaking of fun . . .

While CrashRecovery was waiting for something to go wrong he generally spent a LOT of time in the build tent helping and building and kabitzing (we like to keep him bored and the disasters non-existant ;) ) . . . to that effect . . . you have much interest in building?

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
While CrashRecovery was waiting for something to go wrong he generally spent a LOT of time in the build tent helping and building and kabitzing (we like to keep him bored and the disasters non-existant ;) ) . . . to that effect . . . you have much interest in building?

UH huh... don't think I didn't notice you trying to steal volunteers already!

bgfireguy92

. . . to that effect . . . you have much interest in building?
LOL.....well... I do some scratch building but not that great (YET) at creating my own, I can lay down a mean bead of hot glue. Basically you point me in the direction you want with marching orders and I'll get it done. I really enjoy helping kids (I run the public relations on my fire dept dealing with kids mainly) but Ill go wherever.

UH huh... don't think I didn't notice you trying to steal volunteers already!
Hey at 6'5" and 305lbs there's enough of me to go around to volunteer lol

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Bwahah this thread is so fun to lurk on. Great memories from last year... Flying Cirkus... seriously... SPF 8 million please. Dan, you can have my assistance in the build tent.... when my build is done... or crashed.

FlyingMonkey

Bought Another Trailer
Staff member
Admin
For Asbjorn...

Asbjorn's new hat.jpg

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
Flying cirkus won't need to worry about his tent blowing over with that! same goes for earthsciteach!

earthsciteach

Flying cirkus won't need to worry about his tent blowing over with that! same goes for earthsciteach!

Poor Asbjorn. Danged canopy went airborne, took the rain fly off the tent I loaned him and ripped the hatch off of my truck's bed cap. Worst part was finding his phone submerged under the floating air mattress. Is that thing still alive, Viking?

As for my bed cap hatch… It detached and went airborne somewhere on the Pennsylvania Turnpike on a trip back out to Canton in August. Luckily, no one was behind me. :black_eyed: