Flite Fest 2016 - JULY 14-17 @ Furey Field (was August 4-7)

Burly

Go into Google Maps and type in Malvern Ohio.

Get into satellite mode...and just north of the town is a field running east and west.
Zoom in on a long tree lined driveway running to the east which ends in a house and a number of outbuildings.

The house sits just to the south of a east-west grass runway.
That is Furey field...the house is owned by John Furey, Austin Fruey's father.
The flight line, vender tents, build tents and camping are set up end-to-end just south of the grass runway.

It's an awesome event...nothing quite like it...

PS. In the latest Google Maps Satellite photo you can actually see the remnants of the muddy conditions of Flite Fest 2015

WOW!!!

You can see where the mud was from car and foot traffic.
You can even see where the two build tents were, and the places where the tables under those tents were set up, with the grass underneath relatively undisturbed.

Just to the left of the two build tents, you can see even more evidence of where the Flite Test Store Tent was. The broad path of mud was the main isle, and there were two full length lines of product tables to the right.

I think the original event in 2014 had a single downpour a little after sunset on Saturday night, where a fast moving line of thunder storms hit during the podcast recording. The wall of wind caused damage to camping tents.
But I don't think the grass took quite the beating...the ground never became saturated to the point of generating mud.

2015 was completely different with the soil completely drenched from days of steady rain.

Moving things back to the August date should make dry weather a more likely prospect.

At the point Flite Fest moves, we will need to take up a PayPal collection to have the land just to the south of the runway re-graded and re-seeded. That's the least we could do. With the large numbers of people who have taken advantage of Flite Fests over the years...$10 spread across 2000 or so attendees should get the job done. And for those YouTube subscribers, store customers, and forum members...$1-2bucks shouldn't be a big burden.

Last edited:

airhawk

Crashing Ace
do we know any approximate weather forecast yet when i was at 14 we had a dangerous flash flood on Saturday night i had to leave early about 10 hours before the storm (that and my brother wanted to go)

Ocean

do we know any approximate weather forecast yet when i was at 14 we had a dangerous flash flood on Saturday night i had to leave early about 10 hours before the storm (that and my brother wanted to go)

Given we can hardly predict weather a week in advance. I doubt we have any clue what its going to be like in 6 months.

I would just google "weather in ohio in august" if you want a rough idea.

kacknor

Build another!

Get into satellite mode...and just north of the town is a field running east and west.
Zoom in on a long tree lined driveway running to the east which ends in a house and a number of outbuildings.

The house sits just to the south of a east-west grass runway.
That is Furey field...the house is owned by John Furey, Austin Fruey's father.
The flight line, vender tents, build tents and camping are set up end-to-end just south of the grass runway.

It is in Malvern, Ohio. About an hour south of Akron, or an hour and a half south of Cleveland.

Thanks ! I'll find it. Not sure if I'll do a tent or whatever, but I am planning to be there!

JD

Edit: "Ding!" light goes on. I recognize it from all the videos. ;) That's oply about 2 and a half hours from me. I had it in my head it was farther north, up by the lake. Cool.

Last edited:

Julez

WOT and going nowhere
NOAA's long term climate forecast shows an August trend of sun and mid to high temperature weather, with some moisture. This indicates a low possibility of heavy storms, but due to the geography of the area squalls are not uncommon.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
PS. In the latest Google Maps Satellite photo you can actually see the remnants of the muddy conditions of Flite Fest 2015

WOW!!!

You can see where the mud was from car and foot traffic.
You can even see where the two build tents were, and the places where the tables under those tents were set up, with the grass underneath relatively undisturbed.

2015 Flite Fest aftermath.JPG

2015 Flite Fest aftermath closer.JPG

Last edited:

Techno

Sunny Day Park Flyer
That's amazing that you can still see FTFF 2015 in the mud.
About 2016 though, I think I can make it, but it's a little bit in the way of my traditional schedule.
Anyway, what I'm wondering is why the change?
Is July getting too hot?
Do we need to let the grass grow back?
Or is a different venue necessary, and Flitetest needs time to find it?

Edit: HOORAY! Just like always, I'll be happy to go.

Last edited:

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
That's amazing that you can still see FTFF 2015 in the mud.
About 2016 though, I think I can make it, but it's a little bit in the way of my traditional schedule.
Anyway, what I'm wondering is why the change?
Is July getting too hot?
Do we need to let the grass grow back?
Or is a different venue necessary, and Flitetest needs time to find it?

I think it had to do a lot with the crops that were on adjacent fields. The soybeans and corn made recovery hard on downed planes and quads. A later date means fields will be harvested and cut down. I believe the Fury's neighbors own the adjacent land and were kind enough to allow the usage of them also.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Hotels already booked for the weekend

Just saw a comment on a Facebook post from Josh that there may be an issue with the dates selected.

Hi Nathan. Early August was the thought. But we found out that the dates we planned on overlapped a huge hall of fame weekend. All hotels are already booked which would cause a huge problem for all the great people traveling to FliteFest. This makes us sick thinking of who this might effect. We are going to get a new date this week and put it up. Also, if anyone booked flights, we will do everything possible to make it right.

Corbarrad

Now I'm kinda worried I'll miss it.
August is the main vacation month in Bavaria because of school holidays.
I put in for vacation as early as possible because of that.
I'll have to barter, bribe and maybe even blackmail my colleagues If I want to change in a few weeks time.

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Announcement possibly coming tomorrow on new dates for Flite Fest due to conflicts with hall of fame dates.

Stay Tuned.

Last edited:

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
DATE CHANGED TO JULY 14-17 @ Furey Field

From Facebook..

Some of you may have heard about a date set for Flite Fest but unfortunately we had to move the date due to another event in the area that was booking all the hotels for that weekend.

The dates for FF16 are July 14th-17th!

To make sure everyone who needs it can reserve lodging, we have moved it up a bit. We hope this hasn't caused anyone too much trouble this far out and we will do our best to make it right if it has. We are so looking forward to this year and hope to see you there!!! :)

BigRedSpider

Bad date for the Alliance Balsa Bees.. That Saturday is our biggest AMA Sanctioned event, our Big Plane Fly-In..

Maybe we can move it, we haven't sent in our sanction yet..........

Last edited:

Corbarrad

Alright, put in my vacation for august 6-19. I hope I can make it. Any later and I'd run into some hard blockers where time off is concerned.

Edit:

Holy moly! It's July, not August....

totally misread that post. And here I was wondering why they'd start on a weekend and go up til wednesday..

Wow. just wow. brb, off to change dates... again.

Last edited:

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Um . . . Corbarrad . . . might want to look 2 posts up :black_eyed:

on the positive side, it's not later . . .

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Yep, this is really good news for us! Looks like we have a green light for Flite Fest 2016! Hope to see you there.