Flite Fest 2017: Bugatti 100P

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
The Himax motors were my first thought, but at the price. It was a hard sell. Then factor the size I wanted to model and the lack of options to pour on the coals for this model... it was out of any sort of consideration. They have been selling those motors for some time now and honestly, I do not think they sell many.

The BoT is a neat bird. My DLG has persuaded me to find more interest in gliders and this one fits the bill well. It has been awhile since I've done an all-balsa build (over 2 years) but I'm sure it will be lie riding a bike.

I posted a short 15-second video on FB last night of a jittering servo. Totally meant as a joke and I seem to be getting some flak about not using $50 servos in this airplane.

First of all... a lot of people have NO IDEA what they are talking about. With the blunt statement out of the way let me go into some specifics. The picture below shows the progress I made last night. Simple stuff. Got the other wing's wiring channels and servo recesses carved out and servos in place. Capped the channels with foam and titebond. The aileron servos are 9g digital servos. I also want to note that if you look at the layout, I have intentionally placed the servos very close to the control surface. This will shorten the control rod and reduce flex and give better precision. Further still, I will be using the inner most hole of the servo to drive the ailerons with concealed linkage. This will give me the maximum amount of precision, from a digital servo and short control arm. The digital servo will hold its position more accurately and give better resolution throughout the throw. This should help the control movements be smoother and allow really fine amounts of trim.
IMG_3481.JPG

Flap servos are 9g Dynam servos. Brand new and never used. Keep in mind that the flaps will not be used the majority of the time and will be deployed on landing. No need for exact precision, centering, or high torque.

To further drive my point home, I've built many MANY models over the years. Still, I continue to watch other builds to learn something new. In observing others I've learned that there is a line between over-building and building to fly. Every aircraft has an expiration date. It is a fact you have to face BEFORE the start of every build. I've adopted this thinking and while I understand that some folks think that pristine models require the very best (defined as most expensive) electronics, I disagree entirely. I have no misconception that this model will last for 30+ years. It will not. I build on the cheap but I do so in a way that will make the airplane adequately safe. It's a bit relative but my years of experience, combined with the years of experience observed of others, have told me that sometimes dumping more $ into a project will not yield the best returns.

Make no mistake, this will be going fast, but I have no intention on flying it all-out all of the time. I fly to relax from the build projects. Pucker factor is an adrenaline rush for other pilots. If my models fly, my adrenaline rush is over. This is just a little insight into my way of building and I fully acknowledge that it is not a common one. FWIW, I do not take joy in pleasing others in this hobby. It is my hobby, so I'll do it my way and I fully expect others to do the same. Therin lies the reason why I support other builders. They do it their way and it's different from me... and there is a possibilty for me to learn something.

Rokcrln

Well said, enjoy the build process it is the only part that is guaranteed in this hobby. Savor your success, own your fails, learn from them and hope the build process is not the only enjoyable part.

Beautiful workman ship!

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Looking great!

Those servos will hold up great and you're doing all the right things in terms of linkage and mounting to get the best from them. I have to admit I've been one of those servo snobs over the years, but TBH I've had GREAT luck with turnigy and other manufacturers in recent years. I haven't fully switched to other options in large part because of what my local hobby shop carries (mostly Futaba and Hitec) and I tend to buy stuff like that from them. You're absolutely right about the servo quality though. They are all VERY similar.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Coming along sweet dude! I laughed at the jitter video, and especially the "sewing machine" comment. Meh, opinions are like noses; everyone's got 'em and they all smell. :p I use/reuse a lot, so some of my models end up with EMAX 9g analog, and sometimes they end up with slim digital metal gear. It all depends on where they fit and what I have on hand. Only in my high-energy PSS gliders do I make a point of springing for nicer, sturdier servos. Even then though, they get reused as well (depending on the severity of the last "landing") ;)

Keep at it man, this is fun stuff, and we all love following along. Ignore FB "experts". :p

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I agree with you as far as this being "Your" hobby. I was the same with gaming. People were like "you HAVE to set your character up like this" Or my favorite one "you CAN'T do that" while I DO do that as they stand there saying it. IT is one of the reasons I stay away from social media specifically Facebook as much as humanly possible. Its the most UN social place on the planet.

You have a ton of information to give out as well as teach people good practices and methodology by explaining not only how you build but why you build in certain ways. THAT is what puts you above others doing this. Keep doing what you do for you. Others that want your knowledge will seek it out. Keep yourself happy and that will benefit others more so then trying to please everyone. I for one love what you do and have already learned a lot thru this build alone. For that I will say thank you even if no one else has.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Moving along...

I started the filet for the bottom with a 1/2 sheet of foam board and cut it to shape on one side. Traced onto the other half and glued them using gorilla glue. Taped down with my trusted aluminum tape.
IMG_3483.JPG

The tail cone was primed previously so I sanded it down and applied another coat to see where we end up.
IMG_3484.JPG

With the glue dried, I removed the tape and applied spackle. This way I can blend the spackle and foam into the wing and fuselage in one shot and follow up with a skim coat of spackle if I get too heavy-handed.
IMG_3485.JPG

Here is another angle showing the wheel wells. The angle is right to make them concealed and will allow the gear doors to sit flush with the wing.
IMG_3486.JPG

agentkbl

Illegal Squid Fighting?
I'm noticing something odd. I'm sure that you are aware of this, but I'm noticing that there is foam/spackle covering your strut right before it bends to connect to the axle.

Rokcrln

I'm noticing something odd. I'm sure that you are aware of this, but I'm noticing that there is foam/spackle covering your strut right before it bends to connect to the axle.

Yes, that should keep the doors closed during flight! 😂
I'm sure it was just for a smooth alignment and transition and will be cut out later when he makes the covers.

FPVology

i have nothing to do with this build, and i am still so terrified there is going to be a nose over on your first landing. She is just so beautiful already!

Willsonman, still an other lurker here who reads with great attention your progress, and roots for you and the plane ;p. Keep going, man !

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Lurk away!

Got the tail cone roughed in. She is looking great on the tail.
IMG_3487.JPG

Sanded back the spackle and foam.
IMG_3488.JPG

Transitions look perfect.
IMG_3489.JPG

More spackle applied to blend the seams better and started filling voids and the other bits.
IMG_3490.JPG

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Nice piece of tail!

I audibly ::snerked:: when I read that, thinking "Oh, we are such nerds..." :p

8+ years volunteering and leading J.high and high-school youth group still has lingering effects on my sense of humor >_<

But seriously, willsonman; that is an awesome looking tail! I can't wait for the rest of the body to start getting primer and paint, no doubt it will be a great payoff to all your hard work. :cool:

XD

Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I'm hoping! Like I've said, there is lots of work ahead. My goal for finish is to have her in primer for maiden. As the control surfaces need to be painted before they are installed permanently that is why there is a bit of blue here and there already. This weekend may see the battery hatch cut off... maybe. My replacement 3D printer control board should be arriving today. There is hope that I will be able to get going on that distraction as well.

earthsciteach

I audibly ::snerked:: when I read that, thinking "Oh, we are such nerds..." :p

8+ years volunteering and leading J.high and high-school youth group still has lingering effects on my sense of humor >_<

But seriously, willsonman; that is an awesome looking tail! I can't wait for the rest of the body to start getting primer and paint, no doubt it will be a great payoff to all your hard work. :cool:

XD

I've taught middle school and high school. My sense of humor never progressed beyond the age of about 13.

FPVology

i have been working on an RV-10 project i started about 2 years ago. I pulled it off the shelf last week to get started on it again.
The build is similar to yours and was hoping to ask a few questions.
wilsonman.PNG

Areas in yellow: paperless foam board used to fill the channel- glued in with titebondII- then lightweight spakled and sanded?
is that right?
then you plan to layer it up with glass/epoxy?

Thanks man!
pic of RV10fuse:
lots of "hangar rash" but im thinking it can be filled nicely
IMG_0473 - resize fuse.jpg
IMG_0469.JPG

thanks for any info!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
You got it! Though, I only added the paperless foam to the wiring channels. With how shallow the ply spar pockets were I just put spackle over them. Only 2-3mm deep.