Flite Fest 2017: Bugatti 100P

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Don't get down on yourself like that. Work logs for sure open you up to scrutiny but in this community, its more like an open invitation for folks to help! Keeping up with work logs takes some effort but can help you improve much faster with the community involved.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Also, keep in mind that for everything you build and post, somebody out there is looking at it and wishing they could do it as well!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok I'm slow to the party once again... I just noticed from the pic where you have roughed in the foam and spackling... It now looks like that is actually designed as a "Lifting body"? Am I seeing the shape wrong or the way that is filled more shallow at the wings is that intentional for added lift to aid the shorter wings?

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I'm pretty sure that in the late 1930s there was little consideration to the idea of lifting body design incorporation. Not 100% sure on this one but wing filets were part of the norm in high-speed air frames coming out of Europe at the time.

Nothing done on the Bugatti this weekend. I got more flooring put down in the basement and cleaned the shop... again.

A HUGE shoutout to Nicholas Simpson of the Freefall RC Podcast for giving me an assist on the 3D printer. It took me over an hour to go through the Marlin code to get the printer to function. Then, I had an issue with the end stops. Got it all situated and after 2 hours, I had my first part printed. Not bad for a first print. There was a little bit of layer separation but still a functional part.

Took a couple hours to go fly yesterday. The P6-E still flies like a dream and the RareBear Carl sent my way is training my fingers to be more reactive. Had two flights on the Bear.

You can tell this build is getting to crunch time when I'm getting passive nerves that are terrifying me. I woke myself up last night from a dream that I was doing the maiden of the Bugatti and I lost radio signal and she went in. Probably one of the least likely scenarios at my field but I woke up terrified and jittery.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Don't feel bad mate I have woke up wondering why my fingers hurt only to look at them and see thumbnail prints in my pointer fingers where I was flying pinch style in my sleep.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
I got the hatch cut off last night. I've trimmed the hatch itself by 1/16" to account for the balsa trim that needs to be added. I started with the hatch by adding some 1/8" ply to the front. This will be covered with balsa but there will be alignment dowels inserted so it needs to be more robust. Balsa cap to the rear. I also trimmed the front end of the bay to insert the same ply piece there. Hatch will be secured with alignment does in the front with strong magnet in the rear. With the venting planned, I am not anticipating a tremendous amount of positive inside pressure.
IMG_3493.JPG

I need to get back on the tail cone so I can work on linkages as I trim out the bay.

Also, worth mentioning is why I chose to cut the hatch before adding the top wing filet. In looking at reference pictures, the filet comes nearly to the line where I cut the battery hatch. This line is a scale panel line so expect some detail work here. Using this reference line I can go back and create the filet more symmetrically with less hassle.

Motivation is lacking but I'm pushing through. I got a fun figurine printed for my daughter last night and successfully printed a part for the printer while I slept. Some additional tweaking still required in the firmware but Basic prints are going well.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Looking good!

A thought on your venting. I picked up a few sheets of the plastic air cooling scoops from Parkflyer plastics.
http://parkflyerplastics.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=44&products_id=278
Among them are some really nice NACA scoops of various sizes. I know they aren't "hard" to build, but at $4 for a sheet of 17 scoops adding nice NACA intakes or vents is as easy as cutting the hole and blending the plastic to the surface.

I'm sure whatever you have planned will work great though!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Well, I plan to use a single NACA duct at the front of the canopy. But I would prefer it to be clear. We shall see what comes of that. There is also an intake duct on the top of the fuselage just behind the pilot position that I will incorporate into the battery hatch. Those are the only intakes I have planned. As stated before, The exhaust manifolds on the fuselage sides will have free access to vent air and will be more than double the intake area so that should alleviate any pressure issues.

If it comes to it, I'm sure I could request Sparks to pull me some clear ducts and use canopy glue for the front intake.

DamoRC

Elite member
Mentor
What a truly inspiring build and unique combination of a worthy plane and a worthy builder.

Excellent stuff!

DamoRC

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Thanks DamoRC! I got more balsa applied to the battery hatch. Nothing that has not been covered previously in this thread.

Got 4 more prints done before going to bed. Put another on just before going to bed and checked before leaving for work... epic failure. The cooling fan ring fell off and messed up the print and the printed fan ring. Then to top it off, somehow the heating element for the extruder came out. The nozzle is all sorts of a mess and needs to be cleaned up. ABS everywhere.

Joker 53150

Mmmmmmm, balsa.
Mentor
Good times with overnight prints... I've only had one big failure when I wasn't around to catch it, but lucky for me it didn't keep running for more than 30 minutes or so, so the mess wasn't that big. Most of my overnights have been very successful (using PLA), including one last night that finished around 3:30 AM.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Josh,
Just like everyone else I am fascinated by this aircraft and the build. You are undeniably a craftsman from whom we can learn.

One thing that escaped my notice until recent is the greater than usual blade angle (at least for my eyes). Going back through the posts I found you're using 8x8 props. In my relatively short time in RC air I haven't seen this and would like to speculate and have you confirm and correct as appropriate.

Corect me if I'm wrong but high blade pitch can provide a high top end speed but with less acceleration and with more power consumed which will means heat.

Do you think heat/cooling will be an issue or something that you've aleeady planned for?
Do you think aircraft responsiveness in turns and dives will be an issue or something that you've also planned for?
What do you approximate your final auw to be?
What kind of top end speed are you expecting?

—Jim

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Thanks Jim. Onto your questions...

the 8x8 props are part of what the model is based around.. NMPRA specs. The motors and props are regulations for model pylon racing and sanctioned by the NMPRA. You are correct about the acceleration but that is more due to lack of thrust at low airspeed since the props will be stalling.

Cooling will be fairly simple ducting. I have ample area for air in the cockpit to go through to the battery compartment. Intake at the front will be at the very front just aft of the rear prop. It will provide air for the motors and ESCs. As I am not pushing the ratings of either component, this average cooling solution should be adequate. An additional duct will be placed on the battery hatch to provide additional air for the battery and in a small sense, provide a venturi effect to draw air out of the cockpit area and out of the exhaust ports.

This is a race plane. I have no intent on making sharp turns or short approaches. Every move on any flight will be pre-planned well in advance. Wide patterns and shallow dives. Throws are planned to be at a max of 10 degrees or so.

AUW is in the 5-6 pound range. Currently on-track for that to be met.

Calculations for speed top out in the 100-120 MPH range. Certainly not the fastest thing it could be but plenty fast enough for me. Scale speed would 83ish. With the noise this thing will make, the top speed will more than likely seem faster than it really is.

Michael9865

Elite member
Well, I plan to use a single NACA duct at the front of the canopy. But I would prefer it to be clear. We shall see what comes of that. There is also an intake duct on the top of the fuselage just behind the pilot position that I will incorporate into the battery hatch. Those are the only intakes I have planned. As stated before, The exhaust manifolds on the fuselage sides will have free access to vent air and will be more than double the intake area so that should alleviate any pressure issues.

If it comes to it, I'm sure I could request Sparks to pull me some clear ducts and use canopy glue for the front intake.

Here are some clear NACA ducts. https://hobbyking.com/en_us/naca-style-inlet-duct-set.html

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
The smallest size is 2.5cm wide, which is a bit too wide for the nose.

Mr. Sparks offers a 1/2 inch (12.7 mm) which would be more appropriate. Besides, I love that guy and anytime I can support his business, I do! That guy churns out some of the finest foam models ever. And if you have never read his book... you are missing out. Worth every penny.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Wow only 5-6 pounds. I was guessing more. looking at these planes I suppose it will be uberimportant for everyone to get in some flight time to get their hands & eyes accustomed to their aircraft.

This is going to be an exciting series of events for sure between the artisanship of each aircraft, witnessing how they perform, the speed, the sounds. Wow!
Thanks Josh.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
You are quite welcome.

I've been getting high-speed stick time as of late. Carl (wilmracer) donated his Eflite RareBear to the cause. It goes like stink and with the stubby wings it is a bit harder of a profile to see at certain attitudes. In general, it is about the same size, though a little smaller. It is serving me well in getting my reaction times up and thinking about 5 seconds ahead of the airplane... which is a long distance. He estimated its top speed at 90 MPH. It really does go at a good clip. I had broken my last prop on a landing (belly lander) and ordered 9x9 props by mistake (should be 8x8). She sucked the electrons down faster but not with additional speed. I plan to cut the prop back to 8" and see if the 8x9 configuration gets things a bit better. On my 5000mAh battery I could go for 5 minutes on the 8x8... down to 3 minutes on the 9x9.

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Good idea, getting high-speed stick practice before flying this bird. On the different prop performance; I experienced the same thing when testing out different diameters and pitches. The higher pitch really sucks down the juice!

Sidenote....I'm working on something I want to run by you; I'll email you shortly. ;)

Tench745

Master member
Calculations for speed top out in the 100-120 MPH range. Certainly not the fastest thing it could be but plenty fast enough for me. Scale speed would 83ish. With the noise this thing will make, the top speed will more than likely seem faster than it really is.

Are you figuring scale speed as a direct scaled factor? ie. 83.3x6= 500mph
Because, as far as bank angles and relative appearance of speed/handling are concerned (dynamic similitude) your scale speed would have to be the square root of scale times full scale speed. ie. sqrt(1/6)x500=204.

All that is to say if you flew around at 83mph it would look like a sluggish plane. 100mph for the model would look like the full scale flying at about 245mph. Still way fast, and more than I could handle flying for sure.