Flite Fest 2017 - Giant SB2C Helldiver

bpw823

Junior Mastermind
UPDATE 6/21/17

No pictures as of yet, but recent work has put me back on track for Flite Fest East.

I fixed the control horn alignment previously mentioned, and finished installing and programming flaps in the wing. My attention now turns to the fuselage! I've got the final two servos installed already, I just need to link them up with the tail surfaces and cover them up with some foam.

Additionally, I purchased some foam filler from the hobby store and tried filling some of the gaps between the foam strips, but sanding it smooth is not an easy task. I'll try to figure out a good system for this but if it doesn't work out as I'd hoped, I will leave the surface as-is.

Another afterthought I'm addressing is the landing gear. I still need to add the required support in the wings for the gear (pure foam will not survive a landing) and allow them to be removable so I can pull the wing out if need be. This will likely be the final addition I make to the airframe before I attempt to fly, and if all goes well it should be set to bring to Ohio in a few weeks!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Crossing the Atlantic

No pictures as of yet, but recent work has put me back on track for Flite Fest East.

I fixed the control horn alignment previously mentioned, and finished installing and programming flaps in the wing. My attention now turns to the fuselage! I've got the final two servos installed already, I just need to link them up with the tail surfaces and cover them up with some foam.

Additionally, I purchased some foam filler from the hobby store and tried filling some of the gaps between the foam strips, but sanding it smooth is not an easy task. I'll try to figure out a good system for this but if it doesn't work out as I'd hoped, I will leave the surface as-is.

Another afterthought I'm addressing is the landing gear. I still need to add the required support in the wings for the gear (pure foam will not survive a landing) and allow them to be removable so I can pull the wing out if need be. This will likely be the final addition I make to the airframe before I attempt to fly, and if all goes well it should be set to bring to Ohio in a few weeks!
I'm eager to see this in photos, video, and in person. I am curious about how you will be getting it to Ohio. You locations says you lve across the pond.

bpw823

Junior Mastermind
Haha thanks all, I'm just as excited to see all of you again as well!

I live in Manchester, New Hampshire, not England. I'll be driving out with my grandfather in his Subaru.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Doh! New Hampshire, we're neighors dude!

22 days away (21 to start the drive). This is my first. Eager, oh yeah, big time!

bpw823

Junior Mastermind
Doh! New Hampshire, we're neighors dude!

22 days away (21 to start the drive). This is my first. Eager, oh yeah, big time!

I know! Wish there were more Flite Test guys around ManchVegas, but Maine will do. ;) Be careful after your first time though, drinking the kool-aid creates a life-long commitment!

bpw823

Junior Mastermind
UPDATE 7/3/17

Sooo... I decided that I likely will not retrieve the fuselage from my school in enough time to apply the finalizing changes needed for Flite Fest, and I will instead challenge myself to build something equal in size at the event.

I'm spending this 4th weekend at the beach, so what better way to prototype and simulate the build process? While everyone else was on the beach, I was inside, building.

The result: behold my Grumman XF5F Skyrocket!
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

I did all of the CAD and printed the plans in the few days leading up to our vacation, and brought the bare necessities for construction. Over the last three days I threw together a test model and wrote down notes on the process and required tweaks to the plans. The fuselage covering alone will eliminate a day's worth of effort, thanks to the templates I now have on-hand.

I should be ready for FF East and I look forward to building with everyone!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
Looking good and very original. I like your choice. I you planning any graphics? DO you have motors picked out?

I was thinking of a special build that I might need to get the electronics at FF.