Flite Fest 2022 Community Challenge – WWI “Dawn Patrol”

mastermalpass

Elite member
It's been too long without building any new planes for me now! I may not be in a position to print any plans, but I've built a Biplane before using nothing but a ruler and what feels about right and it turned out to be one of my best planes ever! I think it's time to have another stab at it.

There is a free combat flight sim called Rise of Flight, which comes with two planes for free then you buy the additional models that you want o fly. The online store will probably serve well as a catalogue for those wondering what to build: https://riseofflight.com/store/

I normally like to be different from the group, but I have always wanted to make an Albatross D.Va - it's a joy to fly in the game and a great looking plane for it's era. Now this plane's wingspan is 9.05 metres and 1/6th of that is still 1.5 metres... And I only really have the parts for a power system that swings a 9" prop. So, I will be going half size at 1/12th scale, with a 30" wingspan. I can't afford to go crossing the Atlantic for Flitefest anyway; that is a distant dream for me.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
It's been too long without building any new planes for me now! I may not be in a position to print any plans, but I've built a Biplane before using nothing but a ruler and what feels about right and it turned out to be one of my best planes ever! I think it's time to have another stab at it.

There is a free combat flight sim called Rise of Flight, which comes with two planes for free then you buy the additional models that you want o fly. The online store will probably serve well as a catalogue for those wondering what to build: https://riseofflight.com/store/

I normally like to be different from the group, but I have always wanted to make an Albatross D.Va - it's a joy to fly in the game and a great looking plane for it's era. Now this plane's wingspan is 9.05 metres and 1/6th of that is still 1.5 metres... And I only really have the parts for a power system that swings a 9" prop. So, I will be going half size at 1/12th scale, with a 30" wingspan. I can't afford to go crossing the Atlantic for Flitefest anyway; that is a distant dream for me.

No worries and welcome aboard! Right now that makes 3 of us with the D.Va so I'll be curious to see the different approaches. I'm hoping to get some work done on the 1:4 scale D.Va this weekend...

wilmracer

Mentor
UPDATE: Added completed images and proof-of-flight shots for the two builds by @willsonman (2nd post in this thread). He is definitely in the lead as far as this challenge goes. Hopefully everyone else is making good progress.

Only 156 days until Flite Fest 2022!!!

wilmracer

Mentor
I want to get in on this!
1. How long does this last
2. How much of an exception on scale can be made?

The goal is to gather at Flite Fest 22 and fly these together but we know some folks won't be able to make it to the event and don't want to leave anyone out. To "win" you'll likely need to be at the event as the plan right now is to have the spectators vote on a best in show, perhaps one at each scale. That being said if you can't make it there or if you can but your model won't be done I would still encourage you to participate :)

As for scale, we have models ranging from 1:12 - 1:4 at the moment. MOST are 1:6th and that is the officially stated objective but again we want everyone to participate. Some of it would also depend on the model. A 1:12 Gotha G.V still has a 78" span. Let us know what you're thinking. To be honest I can't see anyone having a problem as long as you share your build and we get to learn/follow along.

Taildragger

Legendary member
The goal is to gather at Flite Fest 22 and fly these together but we know some folks won't be able to make it to the event and don't want to leave anyone out. To "win" you'll likely need to be at the event as the plan right now is to have the spectators vote on a best in show, perhaps one at each scale. That being said if you can't make it there or if you can but your model won't be done I would still encourage you to participate :)

As for scale, we have models ranging from 1:12 - 1:4 at the moment. MOST are 1:6th and that is the officially stated objective but again we want everyone to participate. Some of it would also depend on the model. A 1:12 Gotha G.V still has a 78" span. Let us know what you're thinking. To be honest I can't see anyone having a problem as long as you share your build and we get to learn/follow along.
I was thinking:
A. if time was limited I could make about a 1:8 bristol babe
B. since it goes until the summer there is a possibility of a 1:6 sopwith pup (one of my favorites, the one in RealFlight flies so nice)

wilmracer

Mentor
I was thinking:
B. since it goes until the summer there is a possibility of a 1:6 sopwith pup (one of my favorites, the one in RealFlight flies so nice)

Very cool. Let me know which you settle on (or both ;)). No one is doing the Babe yet, and I think we only have one person working on a Pup (Ligbaer). It is always cool to see how different builders approach the same model so don't be discouraged if someone is already working on a model you want to tackle.

Tench745

Master member
I was thinking:
The Bristol Babe looks pretty cool. Reminds me of the Ford Fliver.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
UPDATE: Added completed images and proof-of-flight shots for the two builds by @willsonman (2nd post in this thread). He is definitely in the lead as far as this challenge goes. Hopefully everyone else is making good progress.

Only 156 days until Flite Fest 2022!!!
What can I say, I love airplanes from this era. There are SO MANY interesting subjects from the time.

Baron VonHelton

Elite member
I am invisible, apparently? All I do is build WW1 aircraft from scratch? I've been doing it for MONTHS now? My Pfalz E.I & Fokker D.VII actually FLEW (Although admittedly not that great...) ?? In addition, I've got several half built aircraft, the Morane H, Nieuport 11 & Halberstadt D.II??

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:

Attachments

• The Raven Flies - VH0001a.jpg
    The Raven Flies - VH0001a.jpg
    663.8 KB · Views: 0
  • Pfalz E1 - Test Flight.jpg
    Pfalz E1 - Test Flight.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211121_035243.jpg
    20211121_035243.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220119_063144.jpg
    20220119_063144.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211205_214617.jpg
    20211205_214617.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • 20211011_160627.jpg
    20211011_160627.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 0

Ligbaer

50 Percenter
I am invisible, apparently? All I do is build WW1 aircraft from scratch? I've been doing it for MONTHS now? My Pfalz E.I & Fokker D.VII actually FLEW (Although admittedly not that great...) ?? In addition, I've got several half built aircraft, the Morane H, Nieuport 11 & Halberstadt D.II??

:unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::unsure::coffee::coffee::coffee::coffee:
are you gonna join?