Flite Fest 2022 Community Challenge – WWI “Dawn Patrol”

Tench745

Master member
Alright, I guess It's official, I'm building an S4C Scout. https://forum.flitetest.com/index.p...cout-flite-fest-2022-dawn-patrol-build.69851/
IMG_2036.JPG IMG_E2046.JPG

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Not sure why my last post didn't make it up, but I just went through and added new builds I could find to the first post in this challenge. My apologies if I may have overlooked a build or two. There is a LOT of building going on (Which is GREAT!). If you've got a build going that isn't listed in the first post please let me know and send me the link to the build thread. I'll fix it ASAP.

Builds are looking great everyone! Keep it up! Once you have a finished model make sure you share glamor shots and/or maiden footage and I'll share that in the second post.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
A little late to the party, but since I was ahead of schedule for my FF’22 projects, and we all know that’s unacceptable, if you aren’t building at midnight the day before you leave you aren’t really embracing the spirit of Flite Fest and procrastination. I’ve always been in love with the cooky French WWI and pre WWII aircraft, especially some of the designs by Bléroit. The XI looks easy to model and cut out in a weekend, but I really want to do the la vache (officially the XXXVIbis those who love Roman numerals and hate words), not for any particular reason other than it’s called “The Cow”.
1649391481346.jpg

1649391599924.jpg

And of course as a French aviaton pioneer from this time Louis Bléroit had to have a suitably dapper mustache
1649391721115.jpg

Since I will have to leave FF late Friday, I may not be able to participate in the group flight but I may just end up giving the plane to someone to fly since it’ll be really cheap to build either way.
EDIT:
I’ve decided on La Vache, the dimensions seem reasonable enough for one way transport, and I could enough info and pictures to make a model from these two websites, one in French (my worst class in middle school which I barely remember any of) and on in Russian (a class I definitely did not take in school and need google translate to have any idea what’s being said). I’ll make a build thread and all that and start designing tomorrow or sometime over the weekend.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/blériot-la-vache-xxxvibis-wwi-dawn-patrol.69871/
https://www.aviafrance.com/i/avion.php?ID=5728
http://www.airwar.ru/enc/other1/bleriotxxxvi.html

Last edited:

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
@AkimboGlueGuns and I are the OG on-site big project guys that go back to the very first year of FF. The spontaneous Giant FT flyer first flown at 2am Sunday morning. The following year Keegan built the 1:1 Cri Cri and I built the Sikorsky S-39, both entirely scratch built over the duration of the entire event. While building is a tremendously involved portion of the event, there is much more to it as well. I did miss opportunities of friendship in 2015 that happened in 2016. I do regret that they COULD have happened one year earlier.

That said, fashionably late to this party is not a problem. Start a build thread if you'd like to but otherwise come find us at FF and we'll all have a good time.

Tench745

Master member
A little late to the party, but since I was ahead of schedule for my FF’22 projects, and we all know that’s unacceptable, if you aren’t building at midnight the day before you leave you aren’t really embracing the spirit of Flite Fest and procrastination.
When I built my large Spirit model I spend the night before packing all my building supplies so I could finish at the event because I had too much to do before I left. It still hasn't flown... The Tommy Scout will go a lot faster. I have promised myself it will fly at FF2022.

And of course as a French aviaton pioneer from this time Louis Bléroit had to have a suitably dapper mustache
I believe you will need a similarly dapper mustache; it'll make it easier to find you and pay our respects to La Vache. ;)
I'm debating putting together a period outfit to wear, because I am that kind of nerd.

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/other1/bleriotxxxvi.html[/QUOTE]

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
When I built my large Spirit model I spend the night before packing all my building supplies so I could finish at the event because I had too much to do before I left. It still hasn't flown... The Tommy Scout will go a lot faster. I have promised myself it will fly at FF2022.

I believe you will need a similarly dapper mustache; it'll make it easier to find you and pay our respects to La Vache. ;)
I'm debating putting together a period outfit to wear, because I am that kind of nerd.

http://www.airwar.ru/enc/other1/bleriotxxxvi.html
[/QUOTE]
I’ll find a stick on mustache for the flight

wilmracer

Mentor
Do we know which day we'll be doing the actual Dawn Patrol flight?

I'm going to work the FINAL itinerary and will be reaching out to the FT crew for any input now that this is on their radar and they are kitting the Scout XL. Given the tie-in to a newly released product they may have some input or want to do some content around the event. While it would be cool for this event to get the Gotha Gaggle treatment with it's own FT episode I'm not concerned either way. Below are the event(s) I think are appropriate. I'll try to work out actual dates for each ASAP. To maximize participation I'm leaning toward a Saturday AM for the flying part of the event(s).

Event(s):
  • Afternoon/evening “hangout” where we can display the models together, share the history of each, perhaps share some harrowing combat stories, and generally talk shop with anyone interested in the aircraft. Hopefully we can get some good “Golden Hour” shots of the old birds together, and perhaps even have a few demo flights for pilots brave (or crazy) enough to join the daily sundown furball that is Flite Fest.
    • POSSIBLY FRIDAY EVENING - This would give folks who arrive on Thursday/Friday time to buy, build, and customize their kits in time to join the fun
  • “Dawn Patrol”: after generating interest and sharing the models during the hangout we awake bright eyed and bushy-tailed the next morning to take to the skies in a group flight. For the main flight I’m not suggesting an actual combat sortie… just a leisurely tribute flight with all participants.
    • POSSIBLY Saturday AM, NLT (No Later Than) 9:00AM - the early timeslot avoids some of the congestion in the skies AND the winds are typically down during this time. Doing this Sunday AM could be a backup in the event the weather doesn't cooperate on Saturday.
  • “Dawn Patrol II: Raise the Stakes: My personal suggestion, and I’m happy to be overridden by the community on this, but I would LOVE to see some “historical” engagements, streamer combat style. This could be small groups recreating actual dogfights or any and all of the participants who are willing to risk their airframes for a little streamer combat fun. Totally optional.
    • POSSIBLY Saturday AM, following the "main" event - the early timeslot avoids some of the congestion in the skies AND the winds are typically down during this time. Doing this Sunday AM could be a backup in the event the weather doesn't cooperate on Saturday.
  • Debrief: Following the combat join the other participants and spectators (and whatever remains of the models) in one of the tents for coffee, donuts, and comradery.
    • Immediately following the two events above

I'm planning trophies (3D printed) and perhaps a prize for the following categories:
  • Best in Show/People's Choice - My inclination here is to give each participating pilot, as well as each spectator walking through the "hangout", a slip of paper. Each aircraft would be displayed with a 3x5 card with a number and each person would get ONE vote for the best model.
    • I'm also inclined to actually give out 2 of these. ONE for the best historical model and ONE for the best Scout XL
  • Combat "Ace" - winner of "Dawn Patrol II: Raise the Stakes". Scorring methodology TBD. Again, maybe 2 winners, One for best historical model and ONE for best Scout XL
  • Golden Lawn-Dart - Most spectatular crash. In the event that the most spectacular crash is a midair involving one or more aircrat the aircraft with the MOST DAMAGE will be the winner :)oops:)
I'm open to suggestions for other awards but given the time remaining this is what I think I can handle without impacting my own builds (which will not be competing :p)

Thoughts?

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
  • “Dawn Patrol II: Raise the Stakes: My personal suggestion, and I’m happy to be overridden by the community on this, but I would LOVE to see some “historical” engagements, streamer combat style. This could be small groups recreating actual dogfights or any and all of the participants who are willing to risk their airframes for a little streamer combat fun. Totally optional.

Thoughts?

Historical recreation sounds intriguing but I'm unclear as to how to execute it. Would there be a script or something?

The Fopster

Master member
I'm going to work the FINAL itinerary and will be reaching out to the FT crew for any input now that this is on their radar and they are kitting the Scout XL. Given the tie-in to a newly released product they may have some input or want to do some content around the event. While it would be cool for this event to get the Gotha Gaggle treatment with it's own FT episode I'm not concerned either way. Below are the event(s) I think are appropriate. I'll try to work out actual dates for each ASAP. To maximize participation I'm leaning toward a Saturday AM for the flying part of the event(s).

Event(s):
  • Afternoon/evening “hangout” where we can display the models together, share the history of each, perhaps share some harrowing combat stories, and generally talk shop with anyone interested in the aircraft. Hopefully we can get some good “Golden Hour” shots of the old birds together, and perhaps even have a few demo flights for pilots brave (or crazy) enough to join the daily sundown furball that is Flite Fest.
    • POSSIBLY FRIDAY EVENING - This would give folks who arrive on Thursday/Friday time to buy, build, and customize their kits in time to join the fun
  • “Dawn Patrol”: after generating interest and sharing the models during the hangout we awake bright eyed and bushy-tailed the next morning to take to the skies in a group flight. For the main flight I’m not suggesting an actual combat sortie… just a leisurely tribute flight with all participants.
    • POSSIBLY Saturday AM, NLT (No Later Than) 9:00AM - the early timeslot avoids some of the congestion in the skies AND the winds are typically down during this time. Doing this Sunday AM could be a backup in the event the weather doesn't cooperate on Saturday.
    • POSSIBLY Saturday AM, following the "main" event - the early timeslot avoids some of the congestion in the skies AND the winds are typically down during this time. Doing this Sunday AM could be a backup in the event the weather doesn't cooperate on Saturday.
  • Debrief: Following the combat join the other participants and spectators (and whatever remains of the models) in one of the tents for coffee, donuts, and comradery.
    • Immediately following the two events above

I'm planning trophies (3D printed) and perhaps a prize for the following categories:
  • Best in Show/People's Choice - My inclination here is to give each participating pilot, as well as each spectator walking through the "hangout", a slip of paper. Each aircraft would be displayed with a 3x5 card with a number and each person would get ONE vote for the best model.
    • I'm also inclined to actually give out 2 of these. ONE for the best historical model and ONE for the best Scout XL
  • Combat "Ace" - winner of "Dawn Patrol II: Raise the Stakes". Scorring methodology TBD. Again, maybe 2 winners, One for best historical model and ONE for best Scout XL
  • Golden Lawn-Dart - Most spectatular crash. In the event that the most spectacular crash is a midair involving one or more aircrat the aircraft with the MOST DAMAGE will be the winner :)oops:)
I'm open to suggestions for other awards but given the time remaining this is what I think I can handle without impacting my own builds (which will not be competing :p)

Thoughts?
Assuming I get back to building and I complete my Sopwith Pup, I’ll arrange to fly at the same time as you folks but I’ll be here in the UK. 9am is 2pm here, so wind may be a “challenge”. 😲

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Assuming I get back to building and I complete my Sopwith Pup, I’ll arrange to fly at the same time as you folks but I’ll be here in the UK. 9am is 2pm here, so wind may be a “challenge”. 😲
Only if you plan to have a perfect landing. Being shot down in a scale way also qualifies. :p

wilmracer

Mentor
Historical recreation sounds intriguing but I'm unclear as to how to execute it. Would there be a script or something?

TBH my thought here was to "recreate" famous engagements in a very loose sense. For example if there were 4 German and 2 British aircraft involved in a particularly famous incident that would be all that we sent up, or if it was a 1 on 1 where other aircraft arrived mid-fight we would recreate that. Actually flying to a "script" is WAY beyond my piloting abilty and wouldn't be as much fun IMHO.

This may not really be practical. Given time constraints it may just be more fun to have a "last man standing" engagement. Given the effort that many people are putting in on these models intentional full-contact combat feels wrong to me, but a furball of airplanes and streamers would be an entertaining sight.

Tench745

Master member
TBH my thought here was to "recreate" famous engagements in a very loose sense. For example if there were 4 German and 2 British aircraft involved in a particularly famous incident that would be all that we sent up, or if it was a 1 on 1 where other aircraft arrived mid-fight we would recreate that. Actually flying to a "script" is WAY beyond my piloting abilty and wouldn't be as much fun IMHO.

This may not really be practical. Given time constraints it may just be more fun to have a "last man standing" engagement. Given the effort that many people are putting in on these models intentional full-contact combat feels wrong to me, but a furball of airplanes and streamers would be an entertaining sight.

While I am putting (way) too much effort into my Tommy build, I am mindful that it may not return from this event in one piece. That said, I'm not particularly excited about full-contact combat either. A streamer combat seems like a good compromise.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
theintentional full-contact combat feels wrong to me, but a furball of airplanes and streamers would be an entertaining sight.

OK. Whatever people wanna do is fine. For what it's worth, mine will be a minimum effort SBK with red rattle can and won't be shy about low alt maneuvers. If I can figure out some easy iron cross decals I'll put those on as well.