Flite Fest 2023 Community Challenge – Barnstormers!

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Hello again FT Community!

We had so much fun with the “Dawn Patrol” event this year at Flite Fest ’22 that many of us were already brainstorming what to do in ’23 while still sitting around the campfire at Furey field. All that brainstorming lead us to BARNSTORMING!

So here we are, launching another community challenge, and we’re announcing earlier this year so hopefully even more people can participate. Welcome to the Flite Fest ’23 Barnstorming Challenge!

f00d0abe9e7db186c0fe70985205deb4.jpg
resized4.png

Your challenge is to build a model appropriate to the glory days of barnstorming, bring your model to Flite Fest ’23, and participate in a series of events. The events will include:
  • A hangout/static display
  • A group flight
  • A “Storm the Barn” challenge (fly through a makeshift “barn” without colliding with the barn or “Livestock”)
  • Ribbon Cutting challenge (cut 3 ribbons stretched between poles) (see video of Sean D Tucker's tripple ribbon cut below)
Sean D. Tucker "Tripple Ribbon Cut"

As always we’ll be generous with airframe specifications and will do what we can to include as many sizes as possible. That being said we’re encouraging you to use common FT materials and methods and shoot for approximately 1/8 – 1/5 scale (or 36” – 50” wingspan). If you want to go bigger (and don’t we all) we’ll welcome those models as well!

For Dawn Patrol last year the community was taken by storm by the FT Scout XL, the brainchild of Dan Sponholz. This model became so popular that the Scouts outnumbered the “scale” builds and we’re still seeing community members build these awesome birds. For those that want to participate in the barnstorming challenge but don’t want to start from scratch this year we have the BEAUTIFUL Ben Harber designed PT-17 Stearman, soon to be released as free plans by Ben and Dan. I guess you could call me a beta tester for this model. I’ve been flying a scaled up version for several years and it has been my go-to plane, with 100’s of flights on her. She does everything and she does it all beautifully. Mine was shot down at FF ’22 by the infamous radio interference issues that the FT crew plans to address next year, so I’ll be rebuilding one (or more) Stearmans.

resized.jpg

Version 1 of Ben Harber's PT-17 Stearman. You know you want one!

So here is the info. In summary: Build a barnstorming airplane, bring it to FF ’23, and have a blast! And of course while you’re building start a build thread on the forum and share your progress so we can all follow along! To toss your hat in the ring post in this thread with the model of your choice and a link to your build thread.

This is going to be a fun one, and you’ve got about 10 months so NO EXCUSES! Let’s get building!

Attachments

• 69507265_10157516857788501_1424031363727622144_n.jpg
    69507265_10157516857788501_1424031363727622144_n.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 0
  • resized2.png
    resized2.png
    293.4 KB · Views: 0
  • resized3.png
    resized3.png
    459 KB · Views: 0

wilmracer

Mentor
Participants:

FlyingTyger Curtiss 1A Gulfhawk Build Thread
Ryan O. Udet U12 Flamingo Build Thread
FoamyDM TBD (Double Decker Lazy Bee?) BUILD THREAD TBD
SP0NZ PT-17 Stearman TBD
BobAlexander SPAD 13? TBD
Ligbaer PT-19 TBD
Uberjay Nieuport 17 TBD
JUSS10 Self-Design TBD
Ben Harber Probably PT-17 TBD
Matagami Designs PT-17? Already Built
The Fopster TBD TBD
luvmy40 Beech Stagger Wing TBD
Tench745 TBD TBD
Fidget Travel Air 4000 TBD
wilmracer PT-17 Stearman (450) Build Thread
FlyerInStyle P-26 Peashooter Build Thread
misterjalapeno PT-17 Stearman TBD
Flying Farm Kid PT-17 Stearman Build Thread
Yankee2003 PT-17 Stearman TBD
Racoonworks De Havilland Dh.4 TBD

Last edited:

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I am respectfully waiting a few moments so you can get a few reserved posts for future things (they make you wait some)... but I don't know what this is entirely, but If it's what we talked about at FF'22

I'm IN!

:unsure: with what though. My brain starts with a Double Decker Lazy Bee...

Last edited:

noahangel11

The problem I had at FF22 was a Biplane takes up way too much space in my vehicle, leaving me little room for other planes, so I left my entry at home and didn’t bring it. Unless my transportation changes before then, I just don’t see me entering again.

Attachments

• 0A93226C-0A51-4907-BD06-85C07D68401A.jpeg
    0A93226C-0A51-4907-BD06-85C07D68401A.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 19907BDE-89A9-4B1B-8180-783C1A19590E.jpeg
    19907BDE-89A9-4B1B-8180-783C1A19590E.jpeg
    757.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 658690EA-7561-460F-8121-091F36971C08.jpeg
    658690EA-7561-460F-8121-091F36971C08.jpeg
    800.4 KB · Views: 0

wilmracer

Mentor
The problem I had at FF22 was a Biplane takes up way too much space in my vehicle, leaving me little room for other planes, so I left my entry at home and didn’t bring it. Unless my transportation changes before then, I just don’t see me entering again.

We're expanding the scale this year to allow for smaller models. I've got 36" listed as minimum but that isn't set in stone. The 53" 1/6th SE5A may not have fit but perhaps a 36" version would have? I expect there to be some good discussion this year about options for removeable wings too. I know I'll be doing that for the larger Stearman build.

We definitely don't want people to feel excluded and I hope you're able to participate! The SE5A looked great!

Ligbaer

50 Percenter

We had so much fun with the “Dawn Patrol” event this year at Flite Fest ’22 that many of us were already brainstorming what to do in ’23 while still sitting around the campfire at Furey field. All that brainstorming lead us to BARNSTORMING!

So here we are, launching another community challenge, and we’re announcing earlier this year so hopefully even more people can participate. Welcome to the Flite Fest ’23 Barnstorming Challenge!

Your challenge is to build a model appropriate to the glory days of barnstorming, bring your model to Flite Fest ’23, and participate in a series of events. The events will include:
  • A group flight
  • A “Storm the Barn” challenge (fly through a makeshift “barn” without colliding with the barn or “Livestock”)
  • Ribbon Cutting challenge (cut 3 ribbons stretched between poles) (see video of Sean D Tucker's tripple ribbon cut below)

As always we’ll be generous with airframe specifications and will do what we can to include as many sizes as possible. That being said we’re encouraging you to use common FT materials and methods and shoot for approximately 1/8 – 1/5 scale (or 36” – 50” wingspan). If you want to go bigger (and don’t we all) we’ll welcome those models as well!

For Dawn Patrol last year the community was taken by storm by the FT Scout XL, the brainchild of Dan Sponholz. This model became so popular that the Scouts outnumbered the “scale” builds and we’re still seeing community members build these awesome birds. For those that want to participate in the barnstorming challenge but don’t want to start from scratch this year we have the BEAUTIFUL Ben Harber designed PT-17 Stearman, soon to be released as free plans by Ben and Dan. I guess you could call me a beta tester for this model. I’ve been flying a scaled up version for several years and it has been my go-to plane, with 100’s of flights on her. She does everything and she does it all beautifully. Mine was shot down at FF ’22 by the infamous radio interference issues that the FT crew plans to address next year, so I’ll be rebuilding one (or more) Stearmans.

View attachment 230197

So here is the info. In summary: Build a barnstorming airplane, bring it to FF ’23, and have a blast! And of course while you’re building start a build thread on the forum and share your progress so we can all follow along! To toss your hat in the ring post in this thread with the model of your choice and a link to your build thread.

This is going to be a fun one, and you’ve got about 10 months so NO EXCUSES! Let’s get building!
If a pt19 counts im definetly in I noticed after last year bi-planes arent my thing.

Kilpatjc454

I think I might try and get my nephews in on the Stearman! We have a full scale one up the road from my house that gives rides.

uberjay

I'm in.

Let me know if my 1:6 Nieuport 17 fits the 'Barnstormer' category please.

If it does I'll resurrect a new one after my '22 one also got knocked out of the sky by the pump transmitters.

Thanks!

wilmracer

Mentor
I'm in.

Let me know if my 1:6 Nieuport 17 fits the 'Barnstormer' category please.

If it does I'll resurrect a new one after my '22 one also got knocked out of the sky by the pump transmitters.

Thanks!

I would say absolutely! Throw a fun paint scheme on her!

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Thank you for leading another build challenge. These are a really cool idea and last year's seemed incredibly successful.
I have the winter build season this time, so hopefully I can get something built for this one.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member

• A group flight

View attachment 230197

Can you give a basic rundown description of what a barnstormer plane is?

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
Can you give a basic rundown description of what a barnstormer plane is?
Find and watch "The Great Waldo Pepper," and you will understand. During the period between the Great war and the second world war, there was a time of adventure and wonder in aviation, and part of that was "barnstorming."
So mostly post-war biplanes and early monoplanes.

JUSS10

I like Biplanes
Not sure if this would count, or even if I'll be at FF23 but I saw this posted yesterday so I resurrected a plane I designed years ago. I updated the file yesterday, scaled it up and cut it out. Built it last night. Even if it doesn't count it was fun to build my first plane design again.

Justin

Attachments

• IMG_4762.jpeg
    IMG_4762.jpeg
    687.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_4763.jpeg
    IMG_4763.jpeg
    590.5 KB · Views: 0