Flite Fest 2023 Community Challenge – Barnstormers!

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
OK all...

My sincere apologies for an extended absense from this forum. Sometimes life gets in the way and the last several months have been a crazy example of that for me. So I have some catching up to do with participants and planning and I'll start jumping on that this weekend. I did want to hop in here to do two things. @Mid7night and @SP0NZ knocked out the revisions on the PT-27 Stearman plans some time ago and I've FINALLY finished the build video. I want to make sure this model gets shared as widely as possible because it is just that darn cool. I'm going to share the video here, and start an official build thread for the 200% version, and I'll talk to Ben and Dan about what else is appropriate. I think it probably makes sense to do a thread under community releases as well for documentation of the build and as a place for people to ask questions and colaborate.

I expect the plans will be in the wild any day and I can't wait to see what everyone does with this. I have owned and flown MANY models over the years and have build more foamboard planes than I can count and my original build of Ben's Stearman was hands down my favorite model of all of them. My build wasn't perfect but at that size and with that power setup she could pull vertical takeoffs, fly all the scale maneuvers you want for almost 15 minutes, and then land smoothly in the soybeans if you had to. And if you happend to have a mid-air colision and lost the top wing she has proven she can fly happily with just the one (assuming your thrust angles and trim are set right).

I can't wait to get caught up on everyone's status with this challenge and I hope we can light a fire under everyone and ramp up for another great event at FF. I already have some trophies in the works :cool:

So, after that rambling intro... Here is the build video.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I know it’s a bit early, but do we have a plan for the dates of the barnstorming events? I’ll only be there till Saturday, so I may want to find someone to give the plane to so they can fly it the last day, depending on what’s going on Sunday.

wilmracer

Mentor
I know it’s a bit early, but do we have a plan for the dates of the barnstorming events? I’ll only be there till Saturday, so I may want to find someone to give the plane to so they can fly it the last day, depending on what’s going on Sunday.

Nothing official yet but my expectation would be similar to what we did last year with Dawn Patrol. Maybe a Friday event, a Friday evening hangout to showcase the aircraft and chat, and a Saturday event for mayhem and fun. Given that this isn't called "dawn patrol" maybe we'll sleep in a bit later on Saturday. The main event(s) may take some coordination with the FT team. More to follow soon :)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Logistics won't let me bring an airplane, but if somebody has an extra, I will fly it proudly.

I intend to build a Tiny Trainer onsite with both wings, in order to give some buddy box lessons.

wilmracer

Mentor
OK all! I updated the participants list but I may have missed someone and definitely may have missed some build threads.

So... let's light a fire under this challenge! If you're on the fence, get off the fence and pick something. If you've picked something and haven't started, START! And if you've started please get a build thread going and post a link here so I can get the participants list right.

Oh, and please help spread the word as well! I blame myself for the lack of a push through the winter but we still have more than enough time to make this an epic and exciting event.

Raccoonworks

Save your Trash!! Myles
Anyone have any update on their builds? I posted mine in my thread, the v2 is going along quite nicely…
Not yet. I can say that I am almost 100% certain that I will make flite fest this year. Not sure when I'll get around to my Dh.4, but it'll probably be after I graduate. Do we have a day when we'll do the "storm the barn" competition? That Saturday?

Mid7night

Jetman
Mentor
Dan has posted the plans for my Stearman…they are live!!

Yankee2003

Dan has posted the plans for my Stearman…they are live!!

Thank you Ben and Dan,
…and Carl for the build video.
This will allow me to build a Stearman and participate in the flying.
I appreciate it.

misterjalapeno

Participants:

FlyingTyger Curtiss 1A Gulfhawk Build Thread
Ryan O. Udet U12 Flamingo Build Thread
FoamyDM TBD (Double Decker Lazy Bee?) BUILD THREAD TBD
SP0NZ PT-17 Stearman TBD
BobAlexander SPAD 13? TBD
Ligbaer PT-19 TBD
Uberjay Nieuport 17 TBD
JUSS10 Self-Design TBD
Ben Harber Probably PT-17 TBD
Matagami Designs PT-17? Already Built
The Fopster TBD TBD
luvmy40 Beech Stagger Wing TBD
Tench745 TBD TBD
Fidget Travel Air 4000 TBD
wilmracer PT-17 Stearman (450) Build Thread
I will be building the PT-17 aswell! See you all out there and thanks for the awesome plans!

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Participants:

SP0NZ PT-17 Stearman TBD
Ligbaer PT-19 TBD
Uberjay Nieuport 17 TBD
JUSS10 Self-Design TBD
The Fopster TBD TBD
Tench745 TBD TBD
I believe I already said this @wilmracer but I will be participating with my p26 peashooter. could you please add me to the list, I am almost done with it actually... here is the build thread: https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/flite-fest-23-barnstormer-challenge-p26.70877/

Flying Farm Kid

I am trying to figure out what airplane to build any ideas.
I might be going to flite fest but even if I don't I think it would be fun to build this age of aircraft.

Raccoonworks

Save your Trash!! Myles
Participants:

SP0NZ PT-17 Stearman TBD
Ligbaer PT-19 TBD
Uberjay Nieuport 17 TBD
JUSS10 Self-Design TBD
The Fopster TBD TBD
Tench745 TBD TBD
FlyerInStyle P-26 Peashooter Build Thread
misterjalapeno PT-17 Stearman TBD
Flying Farm Kid PT-17 Stearman TBD
Yankee2003 PT-17 Stearman TBD
Care if I through my name into the ring? I'm gonna be starting on my De Havilland Dh.4 here, soon.