Flite Fest 2023 Community Challenge – Barnstormers!

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
:unsure: with what though. My brain starts with a Double Decker Lazy Bee...
I found it! Is this in the spirit of the challenge? it's a 27" model... depending on how full the vehicle is... This may get bigger.
1662756246956.png

Here is a FT Forum build thread for a 20" DTFB version

Last edited:

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Yes! Let's. If I can figure out how to pre-stage and prefab one of these I'll do it. Any chance of a XL size plan?

I'm not sure if there will be an official XL plan release. TBH I doubt it at this point. The Stearman can get pretty big pretty quick ;-)

I LOVED my 72" span version and I'll be doing a build thread and videos on the mods I make to build a 200% version at 80" span. If you want "XL" that may be what you're looking for :)

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Find and watch "The Great Waldo Pepper," and you will understand. During the period between the Great war and the second world war, there was a time of adventure and wonder in aviation, and part of that was "barnstorming."
So mostly post-war biplanes and early monoplanes.
I understand what barnstorming is. Thanks for the tip. @wilmracer does a p26 peashooter count? It was used for some barnstorming in the later years and does look olive a barnstormer

Bo123

Elite member
Anyone here with a private jet willing to fly across the pacific to get me and a few planes to get to ff next year lolol?

FlyingTyger

Elite member
I understand what barnstorming is. Thanks for the tip. @wilmracer does a p26 peashooter count? It was used for some barnstorming in the later years and does look olive a barnstormer
I would think a Peashooter would. They were painted in brightly colored schemes and flown at airshows to try and promote the newly formed US Air Corps. It's the same era as the Stearman.

Matagami Designs

Master member
Figured I would share some pictures of my build of Ben's PT17. I Could probably use some extra details in my livery but it definitely looks great in the sky. I finished it last week after getting the kit from Ben at FF22 and was able to use it as a trainer by buddy boxing with the family. Thanks Ben @Mid7night ! Also managed to see a real one flying around the local airport yesterday as well.

Attachments

• received_2345575145598285.jpeg
    received_2345575145598285.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220905_141912.jpg
    20220905_141912.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
  • received_601334908160776.jpeg
    received_601334908160776.jpeg
    500 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220910_133952.jpg
    20220910_133952.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

The Fopster

Master member
As I’m now only just finishing my FF22 plane (from a distance - I’m in the UK) there is every chance I wont get to join this, particularly as I’ve got a build backlog with a 13th Squadron DH88 started that MUST be finished. But I was idly thinking and wandering around the internet, and discovered the Travel Air company. It was formed in January 1925 (ideal barnstorming timing) by Clyde Cessna, Walter Beech, and Lloyd Stearman. That’s like the ultimate boy band of golden age aircraft design. Crikey. And so many ideal planes, including monoplanes (Mystery Ship air racer) and biplanes (Travel Air 2000 or 4000). If I do something it’ll probably be one of those. Or a Curtiss Wright. But I’m definitely not invested in this build challenge. No sir. Not at all.

luvmy40

Elite member
Would the Beech Stagger Wing be considered a Barn Stormer? With an appropriately snazzy pint job, of course.

Tench745

Master member
I was thinking the Aeronca Model L would be an interesting subject, a bit late to be a barnstormer, but still interwar.
aeronca-L.jpg

The Curtiss Robin would be more of a barnstormer era aircraft. I'm not committed to anything yet, just sharing ideas.
curtiss-robin.jpg

Flying Monkey fab

Elite member
I was thinking the Aeronca Model L would be an interesting subject, a bit late to be a barnstormer, but still interwar.
aeronca-L.jpg

The Curtiss Robin would be more of a barnstormer era aircraft. I'm not committed to anything yet, just sharing ideas.
curtiss-robin.jpg

I tend to interpret these challenges kinda freely as it is all for fun. I'd go with anything with the "vibe."

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I tend to interpret these challenges kinda freely as it is all for fun. I'd go with anything with the "vibe."

That is absolutely my intent too, especially this year. While I haven't spoken with the other usuals about specific restrictions my personal take this year is to get as many people involved as possible while still requiring "unique" builds.

What I'm writing now is subject to change but here are my thoughts:
  1. I don't want to gatekeep on size. If we need a UMX division I'm in support. If we need a full scale division we'll need to start calling the FAA now :p:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
  2. Personally I DON'T want FPV models as that gives an unfair advantage for barn and ribbon cut challenges, but again if we need 2 categories I'm not opposed.
  3. Your comment about the "vibe" is right where my head is at. My loose definition would be any aircraft that was either built for or modified for the purpose of sharing aviation in a "performance" format during the "early" days of aviation or even modern "throwback" aviation events. The older the better as I feel the crazy designs and death-defying spirit are best captured by those models but there are some modern aircraft that embody the spirit too. I will say as much as I love the modern the Red Bull team and the stunts they preform are definitely in the right spirit I have a hard time considering a modern, composit, technological marvel to be in the spirit of "barnstorming".
All that being said we want people to participate and show up with amazing and fun works of "vintage" art. If we need to make multiple categories we will, and we'll do what we can to have prizes for all the categories, BUT grand prizes will definitely be reserved for models where there is no question whether or not they are barnstormers. We'll know them when we see them :love:.