Flite Fest 2023 Community Challenge – Barnstormers!

The Fopster

Master member
E50CCD4C-2D4C-4362-9588-4434FD90A840.jpeg
BD0A1582-A3C3-4385-8D2F-4891971DB4F9.jpeg
Having only just discovered the Travel Air company online, yesterday I noticed there are two of them in a museum near me. Right era but wrong liveries, but good inspiration for a spring build!

Fidget

I know my grandfather saw an early airplane display in a small town in Kansas, which is how I found Travel Air also, @The Fopster. Got a couple of books on Amazon:
Travel Air: Wings over the prairie
On the Wing: Jessie Woods and the Flying Aces
I think I'm going to build NC455N, which is a Travel Air 4000 that was owned by Jessie Woods and her husband and their Flying Aces Air Circus. It's still around apparently, and I've found a few color photos online.
Based on my previous contest entries, my wife recommended "something you can fly" as a criteria, which is a fair point. :)

The Fopster

Master member
I know my grandfather saw an early airplane display in a small town in Kansas, which is how I found Travel Air also, @The Fopster. Got a couple of books on Amazon:
I think I'm going to build NC455N, which is a Travel Air 4000 that was owned by Jessie Woods and her husband and their Flying Aces Air Circus. It's still around apparently, and I've found a few color photos online.
Based on my previous contest entries, my wife recommended "something you can fly" as a criteria, which is a fair point. :)
Your wife sounds like a wise lady! Just looked up NC455N - looks great. Nice scheme and a good looking subject. Good luck if you go ahead with the build!

cyclone3350

Master member

When I first read this thread, several planes came to mind. The Travel Air 4000 being one of them. I think that would an excellent choice & would definitely like to someone do a build. My work shop/ my wife's new home won't be ready for move in until late December. Hopefully this will give me enough time to do a build & throw my hat in the ring for this year's entry.

Yankee2003

I believe someone mentioned that Carl was building a larger size of Ben’s Stearman. That would be a fun platform.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I believe someone mentioned that Carl was building a larger size of Ben’s Stearman. That would be a fun platform.

Yup! So right now I'm working on 3 Stearman projects (4 if you count the full scale ;)).
  • "Stock" build video from early plans - checking for issues but looks good so far
  • 1 Standard (40") size build converted to be a "Lucille" and built using paperless foam with covering film.
  • 1 200% (80" span) build, also to be converted to a "Lucille" and also built with paperless foam and covering film. I'n that build I'll cover how I do the removable wings and the other mods to go that large.
At this moment my life is consumed by all things Stearman :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Now I just need to learn to fly the real thing!

cyclone3350

Master member
Yup! So right now I'm working on 3 Stearman projects (4 if you count the full scale ;)).
  • "Stock" build video from early plans - checking for issues but looks good so far
  • 1 Standard (40") size build converted to be a "Lucille" and built using paperless foam with covering film.
  • 1 200% (80" span) build, also to be converted to a "Lucille" and also built with paperless foam and covering film. I'n that build I'll cover how I do the removable wings and the other mods to go that large.
At this moment my life is consumed by all things Stearman :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:. Now I just need to learn to fly the real thing!

Dude, I'm sooo looking forward to seeing the large scale build. Especially after seeing what U did for the Albatros. For me, I am in limbo until we move until we move into my wife's new house. I say that cause, when we went house shopping, she looked @ the house & I went to the basement. When we both said " We'll take it" then that was the winner. I have know idea what the house looks like on the inside other than she loved it and I know I will have a nice work space. Once moved in, I hope to work on something for this year. Like to do a Jenny, but will see how the time frame works out for that.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Hello again FT Community!

We had so much fun with the “Dawn Patrol” event this year at Flite Fest ’22 that many of us were already brainstorming what to do in ’23 while still sitting around the campfire at Furey field. All that brainstorming lead us to BARNSTORMING!

So here we are, launching another community challenge, and we’re announcing earlier this year so hopefully even more people can participate. Welcome to the Flite Fest ’23 Barnstorming Challenge!

Your challenge is to build a model appropriate to the glory days of barnstorming, bring your model to Flite Fest ’23, and participate in a series of events. The events will include:
  • A hangout/static display
  • A group flight
  • A “Storm the Barn” challenge (fly through a makeshift “barn” without colliding with the barn or “Livestock”)
  • Ribbon Cutting challenge (cut 3 ribbons stretched between poles) (see video of Sean D Tucker's tripple ribbon cut below)
Sean D. Tucker "Tripple Ribbon Cut"

As always we’ll be generous with airframe specifications and will do what we can to include as many sizes as possible. That being said we’re encouraging you to use common FT materials and methods and shoot for approximately 1/8 – 1/5 scale (or 36” – 50” wingspan). If you want to go bigger (and don’t we all) we’ll welcome those models as well!

For Dawn Patrol last year the community was taken by storm by the FT Scout XL, the brainchild of Dan Sponholz. This model became so popular that the Scouts outnumbered the “scale” builds and we’re still seeing community members build these awesome birds. For those that want to participate in the barnstorming challenge but don’t want to start from scratch this year we have the BEAUTIFUL Ben Harber designed PT-17 Stearman, soon to be released as free plans by Ben and Dan. I guess you could call me a beta tester for this model. I’ve been flying a scaled up version for several years and it has been my go-to plane, with 100’s of flights on her. She does everything and she does it all beautifully. Mine was shot down at FF ’22 by the infamous radio interference issues that the FT crew plans to address next year, so I’ll be rebuilding one (or more) Stearmans.

View attachment 230197
Version 1 of Ben Harber's PT-17 Stearman. You know you want one!

So here is the info. In summary: Build a barnstorming airplane, bring it to FF ’23, and have a blast! And of course while you’re building start a build thread on the forum and share your progress so we can all follow along! To toss your hat in the ring post in this thread with the model of your choice and a link to your build thread.

This is going to be a fun one, and you’ve got about 10 months so NO EXCUSES! Let’s get building!
Is that pt17:

A) Swappable
B) Master series? Cuz if it isn't I wanna build an ultra micro version

Looks like a fun challange! Cant wait to see the great builds this will produce

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
Is that pt17:

A) Swappable
B) Master series? Cuz if it isn't I wanna build an ultra micro version

Looks like a fun challange! Cant wait to see the great builds this will produce

Swappable = yes
Master Series = I'm not really even sure what that means, but this does have relatively standard FT fold over wings. There is some removal of paper and rolling of foam required too, but it is not a difficult build.

Mr_Stripes

Elite member
Swappable = yes
Master Series = I'm not really even sure what that means, but this does have relatively standard FT fold over wings. There is some removal of paper and rolling of foam required too, but it is not a difficult build.
By master series I mean that the majority of the plane is molded, rather than the typical ft box fuse style.

cyclone3350

Master member
I finally have a time line from all the parties involved. Looks like closing is on the 30th of this month. The Contractor for the renovations won't begin until 2 weeks after that with a move in ready now estimated for mid December. With that being said, the idea for a fully decked out Jenny is out the window. Too much in rigging & the motor detail would take me months. These R some of the ideas that I had: The Stearman C3, Travel Air 4000, Curtiss 1A Gulfhawk and the Fleet Model 2. Right now, it looks like a 1/4 scale Fleet Model 2 is my best shot to have this done in 4-6 months. The plan is to hot wire a foam core wings & tail with a partial foam board fuse, balsa strips to simulate a built up structure & covered with Oratex. Won't be able to start until January, & now that I live in Georgia, can it be done in time for SEFF week?

FlyingTyger

Elite member
These R some of the ideas that I had: The Stearman C3, Travel Air 4000, Curtiss 1A Gulfhawk and the Fleet Model 2. Right now, it looks like a 1/4 scale Fleet Model 2 is my best shot to have this done in 4-6 months. The plan is to hot wire a foam core wings & tail with a partial foam board fuse, balsa strips to simulate a built up structure & covered with Oratex.
This is nearly my exact list and my plan for construction! Can't wait to see what you decide to do.

The Fopster

Master member
It could only happen after I’ve built the DH88, but hypothetically if that were done in time I can’t help thinking this could definitely meet the “barnstormer” requirement?

if I build anything, looks like it will be this!

886838C7-C872-4D6F-B8C4-669FD8448521.jpeg

LitterBug

Techno Nut
I think tis time for Snoopy to chase the Cursed Red Barron! Maybe even Wile E. will have to give it a go.......

Cheers!
LitterBug