Flite Fest 2023 Community Challenge – Barnstormers!

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Oh please tell me U plan on throwing your hat in the ring on this one. I've seen your stuff & this challenge is has your name on it.
The 20's and 30's produced some of my favorite planes. I am definitely in for this challenge and even have tentative permission to attend FF23. I just need to decide on a subject. I have it narrowed down to about 27 ;)

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I had to share this here... Weather permitting next weekend the gentleman featured in the video below and I will be flying Lucille cross-country from Indiana to her new home in Virginia. Then I'm hoping to catch his act on Sunday at the local airshow! The guys here in NOVA are keeping the barnstorming spirit alive!

Last edited:

FlyingTyger

Elite member
I'm throwing my hat in the ring. I will be building a Curtiss 1A Gulfhawk. I plan to do it at 72" which is just a smidge under 1/5 scale.

NASM-NASM2021-06431.jpg

I will start a build thread as soon as I know what plans I will be using. Right now I am waiting for a response from AMA about resizing a set they offer.

The Fopster

Master member
I'm throwing my hat in the ring. I will be building a Curtiss 1A Gulfhawk. I plan to do it at 72" which is just a smidge under 1/5 scale.

View attachment 230675

I will start a build thread as soon as I know what plans I will be using. Right now I am waiting for a response from AMA about resizing a set they offer.
Wow. That’s a beauty - fantastic colour scheme. On an unrelated note, does anyone have tips for a good set of stl files to 3d print a suitable engine? struggling to find anything that’s quite right…

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I’m in I guess; hopefully I can complete the plane before Flite Fest, and actually make the event this year. I’ll be doing the Udet Flamingo U12, the plane of the greatest barnstormer of them all.
1664067784599.jpg
1664067815084.jpg
I’ll try my best to recreate the dead stick loop and landing in the video bellow
I’m shooting for about 1/8 scale for travel because removable wings on bipes are a pain

cyclone3350

Master member

View attachment 230675

YES! That started out to be my first choice. OZ has a set of plans by CE Steinchak that would be great for reference. It's more of tech drawing rather than a build plan. Definitely looking forward to see how U do this one.

FlyingTyger

Elite member
YES! That started out to be my first choice. OZ has a set of plans by CE Steinchak that would be great for reference. It's more of tech drawing rather than a build plan. Definitely looking forward to see how U do this one.
Dick Barron has plans for a few of the Curtiss bipes and they look very good. His Gulfhawk set is available through the AMA and I am hoping they can print them at 72" for me. They are drawn at 63". I do have the Steinchak drawings as a fall back and plan to use them to create a set of plans if needed.
I plan to do this as a foam build so I will have to make many changes from the balsa plans regardless.

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
More Barnstormer inspiation for everyone. As it turns out I can also get up close and personal with a 1927 Travel Air owned by my new buddy Chuck Tippett, so if someone wants to take that one on I'd be happy to help wth reference pictures. I suspect with somewhat minimal mods to @Mid7night 's plans you could get a respectable WACO or Travel Air built.

Anyway... I'm still on a high from last weekend. I love my current "ground crew" but need some camera people who know how to film aircraft and leave the comentary for post-production :D. Knowing not to switch from portrait to landscape in the middle of a clip would help too :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Anyway... here is the excitement from last weekend... If you need inspiration for the Barnstormer builds check out the flying Circus in Bealton VA... they are living the dream...

Last edited:

Raccoonworks

Save your Trash!! Myles
Not sure if this would count, or even if I'll be at FF23 but I saw this posted yesterday so I resurrected a plane I designed years ago. I updated the file yesterday, scaled it up and cut it out. Built it last night. Even if it doesn't count it was fun to build my first plane design again.

Justin
Is that a De havilland Dh-4?

speedfix

Would a Fokker DR1 work? I was thinking a 1/3 scale so 2.4m wingspan. Might be hard to build, but I've got a while before FF23'

My insparation is the classic red Fokker:

Attachments

• sstbFokkerDR1Gallery158588.jpeg
    sstbFokkerDR1Gallery158588.jpeg
    137.7 KB · Views: 0

Off-topic jes

Elite member
I may be coming this year and would like to build a giant or something exotic maybe even some Classics. I’m open to anything really

RossFPV

Im not sure if i will be able to go to flitefest or not but i want to build a Wendell Williams Model 44, would that count as a barnstormer?

Last edited:

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I may be coming this year and would like to build a giant or something exotic maybe even some Classics. I’m open to anything really
Maybe the Curtiss-Reed Rambeler? It came in a couple different variations, mostly with tail feather, engine and cowling differences. I’d imagine with the lack of complex curves it’d translate pretty easily into a foam board model.
1676196592344.jpg
1676196614001.jpg
1676196645026.jpg