Flite Fest 2023 Community Challenge – Barnstormers!

Mzaher

Count me in too! She's finished and looks great but saving the reveal for FF23.

Attachments

• forum post.jpg
    forum post.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230411_135750415.jpg
    PXL_20230411_135750415.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0

wilmracer

I build things that fly (sometimes)
Mentor
I wanted to provide a quick update to those who are participating at Flite Fest this year.

I've picked up the materials and will be pre-fabricating the necessary barn for barnstorming! I've also picked up some "live"stock for use as obstacles/targets and will be looking into some bells and whistles to make it even more exciting. I'll share the progress when I get it put together.

wilmracer

Mentor
Just wondering is there a date set for the barnstorming event at flite fest?

Nothing official yet, but we'll likely do it the way we did the Dawn Patrol last year with a hangout one evening to showcase the models and then a group flight the next morning. I'll talk with the FT crew about timing and we'll work in around the other events. My hope is we'll able to setup and teardown the barn quickly :cool:

Flying Farm Kid

Nothing official yet, but we'll likely do it the way we did the Dawn Patrol last year with a hangout one evening to showcase the models and then a group flight the next morning. I'll talk with the FT crew about timing and we'll work in around the other events. My hope is we'll able to setup and teardown the barn quickly :cool:
Ok I hope I can be there as long as possible because we cannot camp there since we are vegetable farmers it is hard for us to leave the farm for more than a day. I will try to be there for most of it though.

wilmracer

Mentor
Ok I hope I can be there as long as possible because we cannot camp there since we are vegetable farmers it is hard for us to leave the farm for more than a day. I will try to be there for most of it though.

What day(s) will you be there? Last year we did the hang-out on Friday evening and the Dawn Patrol EARLY on Saturday AM. The skies always get really crowded just before sunset so as much as I like the idea of the event right before/after the hangout that might not be the best option for setting up a "barn" in the field. We'll get a rough idea of specifics soon, but as we're not "official" FT we'll also be flexible.

I do hope to get lots of Stearman flights in with anyone who wants to do some group flights :)

Flying Farm Kid

What day(s) will you be there? Last year we did the hang-out on Friday evening and the Dawn Patrol EARLY on Saturday AM. The skies always get really crowded just before sunset so as much as I like the idea of the event right before/after the hangout that might not be the best option for setting up a "barn" in the field. We'll get a rough idea of specifics soon, but as we're not "official" FT we'll also be flexible.

I do hope to get lots of Stearman flights in with anyone who wants to do some group flights :)
We live in Toledo Ohio so we will probably drive down on Friday stay in a hotel that night then be at flite fest all Saturday.
My brother also made a Curtice Jn Jennie and would like to participate. Would that that be fine.
I will post photos on my build thread.
We also might have some helpful things farm props aswell.

wilmracer

Mentor
I was working on a project in CAD and realized it may qualify as a barnstormer... What is a barnstormer anyway?

It is a bit subjective to be honest. Generally any aircraft used in the earlier days of aviation for airshow type activities. What is your project?

Taildragger

Legendary member
It is a bit subjective to be honest. Generally any aircraft used in the earlier days of aviation for airshow type activities. What is your project?
It's definitely a stretch... pretty much just right time era (1929)

Only one was ever made because nobody bought any. Who knows what they would be used for eventually...

Name that plane!

abc_robin.jpg

FlyingTyger

Elite member
Project update:
The Curtiss Gulfhawk will not make FF :cry: I still hope to wrap it up this season, hopefully in time for Warbirds & Classics Over the Midwest which is in August.
But I still wanted to participate in the barn shenanigans so I have set out to build one of @Tench745's Curtiss Jennys. Hopefully some cinematic motivation will help me push through this build quickly.

Attachments

• 20230606_223710.jpg
    20230606_223710.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230606_225401.jpg
    20230606_225401.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0

Tench745

Master member
Project update:
The Curtiss Gulfhawk will not make FF :cry: I still hope to wrap it up this season, hopefully in time for Warbirds & Classics Over the Midwest which is in August.
But I still wanted to participate in the barn shenanigans so I have set out to build one of @Tench745's Curtiss Jennys. Hopefully some cinematic motivation will help me push through this build quickly.
I hope it goes well for you. Shame I won't make it to FF this year, I'd love to see someone besides myself fly one of my planes.
Is that The Great Waldo Pepper?