Flite fest 23 barnstormer challenge p26

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Anyone have any good ideas fro solid wing spars that are still light? my wing is flexing waaay too much (I am using Popsicle stick spars RN)

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Also here is what it looks like right now. I ran out of hot glue so building will stop for a little bit. Isn't it an absolute beauty though?

The plane in the background is a standard parkflyer, for size reference

Attachments

• 20230325_122652.jpg
    20230325_122652.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0

danskis

Master member
BBQ skewers work great. I use them in all my low wing planes and have not had a failure. They make two lengths and I find them in the pots and pans aisle of the grocery store.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
BBQ skewers work great. I use them in all my low wing planes and have not had a failure. They make two lengths and I find them in the pots and pans aisle of the grocery store.
even in a almost 2m aeroplane? sounds a little sketchy. I might try a foma spar that nicely slots friction fit into the wing spar, and then reinforce it with popsicle sticks and skewers

Shurik-1960

On all the wings of models with a span from 1.2 to 2m, I have the tips of fishing rods glued. Here is a photo of the last work .It costs one tip of a fishing rod -1 $ I also use the tips of fishing rods for long bowdens.

The remaining thin pieces of the tip of the fishing rod I glue into the keel and elevator, as hardening.For 6 years I have not used bamboo shish kebab swords to strengthen .

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
On all the wings of models with a span from 1.2 to 2m, I have the tips of fishing rods glued. Here is a photo of the last work .It costs one tip of a fishing rod -1 $ I also use the tips of fishing rods for long bowdens.

The remaining thin pieces of the tip of the fishing rod I glue into the keel and elevator, as hardening.For 6 years I have not used bamboo shish kebab swords to strengthen .
thanks, The part I am worried about is the removable wing joint, and reinforcing that

danskis

Master member
On a 2 meter plane I would double them up and just do 48 inches. They may not need to go all the way to the wing tips. But I like the fishing rod idea too.

jpot1

Elite member
A few options:
- sticks for roasting marshmallows - they sell them at the supermarket, kinda like a bbq skewer on steroids
- yard stick from Home Depot, cut in half lengthwise
- dowels from Home Depot/ loews
- carbon fiber tube

Shurik-1960

I also made detachable wings on a wing with a span of 2 meters : there were 2 spars from the tips of fishing rods. 2 spokes were glued into the left half of the wing . The spokes were ground into a small cone for entering the fishing rod. Along the length of the spokes , an ordinary thread was wound on the fishing rod and impregnated with epoxy glue to strengthen the wall . The second wing was fitted tightly with the tips of the fishing rods on the protruding spokes.
The span is 1.4 meters.The wings are removable. 1 piece with a diameter of 5 mm -knitting needle, hollow, stainless metal, glued into the fuselage. 2 thick tips of fishing rods (I searched for a long time in shops for fishermen) are glued into the halves of the wings. Join + elastic band for fixing. On the thick ends of the fishing rods, before gluing into the wing, 1 layer of thread is wound, turn by turn, impregnated with epoxy glue.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I also made detachable wings on a wing with a span of 2 meters : there were 2 spars from the tips of fishing rods. 2 spokes were glued into the left half of the wing . The spokes were ground into a small cone for entering the fishing rod. Along the length of the spokes , an ordinary thread was wound on the fishing rod and impregnated with epoxy glue to strengthen the wall . The second wing was fitted tightly with the tips of the fishing rods on the protruding spokes.
The span is 1.4 meters.The wings are removable. 1 piece with a diameter of 5 mm -knitting needle, hollow, stainless metal, glued into the fuselage. 2 thick tips of fishing rods (I searched for a long time in shops for fishermen) are glued into the halves of the wings. Join + elastic band for fixing. On the thick ends of the fishing rods, before gluing into the wing, 1 layer of thread is wound, turn by turn, impregnated with epoxy glue.
Thanks, that helps.

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
A few options:
- sticks for roasting marshmallows - they sell them at the supermarket, kinda like a bbq skewer on steroids
- yard stick from Home Depot, cut in half lengthwise
- dowels from Home Depot/ loews
- carbon fiber tube
Thanks, Ill try some of them

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
I believe I forgot to update this, but I have some photos of hte almost finished product! just some servos left to install. These are all the photos I have of the build.

Attachments

• 20230322_163713.jpg
    20230322_163713.jpg
    294.1 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230323_151154(1).jpg
    20230323_151154(1).jpg
    707.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230324_182927(1).jpg
    20230324_182927(1).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230325_122652.jpg
    20230325_122652.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230403_072701(1).jpg
    20230403_072701(1).jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0

FlyerInStyle

Elite member
Also in the process I have reinforced everything on it about 3 times over and cleaned up some looks related things. It's just servos that I have left