Flite Fest East 2017 Volunteers

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Flite Fest East 2017 Volunteer Update 04

HAPPY FRIDAY Everyone.

You guys are amazing. 170+ volunteers
Did you know we are screaming past the 2016 numbers for volunteers register for this time last year. Keep it going!

The FT crew requested the t-shirt numbers and I told them to pad those because the Orange Crew is just going to keep growing and growing. I can't wait for July.

Next week I will start dropping names into places and designing the schedule.

Question:

I'm looking for Flight Line Chiefs.
You will work closely with myself and Carl Lydick who will be my lead for flight line safety.
As a team we will educate and advance the Flite Fest Flight Line Safety. FFFLS.

If you are interested is helping out, drop me an email (change the subject to Flight Line or something as it will be easier for me tag).

I was asked about the positions descriptions

Here are the notes I made up from 2016, the scope really has not changed but naturally through out the weekend we adapt and react to the conditions.

Volunteer Duties (2016 Notes)
Opening Notes:
For 2016 we are trying to spread the workload out and not have any back to back shifts.
I encourage volunteers to be timely (early if at all possible) when replacing their fellow volunteer.
This provides an opportunity for a quick debrief and overview of any concerns.

If any safety issues arise all volunteers are expected to radio in/report them immediately.

Remember we are all here because of Flite Test and your help is what makes Flite Fest work.

Have fun and be safe.
Thank you.
André Rousseau
2016 Flite Fest Volunteer Manager

Entrance Greeters:
The entrance greeters are the first welcoming faces guests meet when arriving at Flite Fest.

Responsibilities:
Welcoming incoming guests, handing out literature, answering questions, and directing
guests to the parking crew.

Conditions:
This job has a mix of sun and shade.
It is mostly standing but is a single location position, where the volunteers can have a chair for resting. There may be limited walking involved.

Other Details:
Monitoring traffic congestion, field entrance conditions and any large vehicles.

Parking Crew:
The parking crew work hard. They deal with vehicle movement all day long and should exercise caution and safety at all times.

Responsibilities:
Directing guests to parking or camping sites.

Conditions:
This job involves both standing and walking for the entire shift. It is in full sun with no shade provided. This is a high activity job with lots of walking. Some vehicular access may be available.

Other Details:
Monitoring traffic congestion, field conditions and any large vehicles.

The volunteers at registration are the next line of interaction with guests at Flite Fest.
Attention to detail and gather information are critical to ensure the process conducted smooth and efficiently.

Responsibilities:
welcoming guests, utilizing a computer or a tablet to check in registrations,
answering questions, and working with money and credit cards for new/on site.

Conditions:
Almost exclusively sitting in shade.

Other Details:
Computer skills are required. Handling personal information.

Flight Line:
Flight line safety is one of our top priorities. You are our eyes and ears.
If you see something simply speak up and offer friendly advice.

Responsibilities:
Walking the length of the flight line, speaking with guests/pilots, offering
help if needed, and monitoring for safety concerns. Also volunteers in this
position will be asked for assistance with aircraft set ups, and assisting in hand
launching airplanes. It will be up to the volunteer what their comfort level is with
these requests.

Voluntary compliance is the key method for correcting unsafe
behavior if possible, if not defer to a team leader or event staff. Voluntary
compliance is a method of using information instead of threat to encourage a
positive result.

Conditions:
This job is exclusively in sun, and lots of walking.

Other Details:
If repeat issues are observed please bring them forward at the pilot meeting.

FPV Support:
FPV safety is one of our top priorities. You are our eyes and ears.
If you see something simply speak up and offer friendly advice.

Responsibilities:
Assisting the FPV event managers to ensure pilots and gear are setup and safe.
Attention to detail is key to the success of the FPV events running smoothly.

Special attention should be paid to frequency management and timing.
Technical support skills may be required but not necessary.

Conditions:
This job is exclusively in sun, and lots of walking.

Other Details:
If repeat issues are observed please bring them forward at the pilot meeting.

First Aid:
For 2016 we want to continue the run of good luck we’ve had.
That said we recognize the growing number of participants and have added some extra support and equipment.

Responsibilities:
The team leader is the primary person on site and will select an assistant with whom to switch out coverage. Responsibilities require a general knowledge of first aid, and first responder training would be highly beneficial.

Conditions:
This job is mostly an on call position.

Other Details:
To date most injuries have been very minor,
primarily small cuts or burns. Most have been handled with a Band-Aid and/or

Build Tent:
Responsibilities:
Assisting guests in the construction of aircraft, knowledge of Flite Test speed build kit techniques not required but highly recommended.
Patience and good customer relations are required.

Conditions:
This is an all shade position, with lots of standing and walking.

Other Details:
The build tents are very active and safety is very important. Encourage all participants to experience common sense.

Shuttle:
Drivers need to be focused and flexible. There is no schedule to adhere to so take your time and wait for someone when required. Caution must be displayed at all times. Flite Fest experiences a lot of distracted foot traffic.

Responsibilities:
Ability to drive a multi-passenger golf cart to
transport event guests throughout event grounds.

Conditions:
This is a job that was introduced in 2015. It was intended to be within the
event grounds but was repurposed to help move people from satellite parking
locations to the event.

Other Details:
Volunteers need to be over 18 and have a valid driver’s
license.

Family Tent:
New for 2016 is the family tent. A shaded area for parents with young children to cool of in.

Responsibilities:
Running Family Tent activities and interacting with children.

Conditions:
This is an all shade position, with a lot of standing and moving around within the tent.

Other Details:
Energy and enthusiasm is required ;)

Campsite:
The Campsite will be an active area where volunteers will be called upon to assist in parking at the beginning of the weekend. During the weekend they there to monitor ground and any issues they may arise.

Responsibilities:
Helping attendees find their campsite and various campsite jobs as needed.

Conditions:
Volunteers will primarily be working in the sun with a fair amount of walking.

Other Details:
This job is an on call position.

Miscellaneous Duties:
(Electrical/Generators/Grounds/Garbage)
The muscle team. The few brave souls I can count on to take care of the hard jobs.

Responsibilities:
There will be a need for volunteers who are able to do a variety of jobs.

Conditions:
This volunteer needs to be flexible, and willing to work where needed.

Other Details:
This would be mostly an on call position.

Have a great weekend, and as always if you have any questions please feel free to contact me.

Andre Rousseau - andre@flitetest.com
Flite Fest 2017 Volunteer Coordinator
http://flitefest.com/

Last edited by a moderator:

allenajs

Can't wait!!!

Been counting the days since last year until FFE2017 starts.
Looking forward to the Family Tent. I have some new ideas. Working on building a Giant Jenga block set to bring along with all my juggling stuff. Also bringing all the materials to have kids build their own set of juggling balls and give pointers on learning to juggle.

Looking forward to seeing everyone again this year. I tend to be more on the shy side but have made a resolution to get to know more folks this year.

See you all soon!!! I will be there around noon on Wed and will help any way I can. Just hoping I get a good tent camping spot.

Allen Schmidt
Fredericksburg, Virginia

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
HEY everyone!

Just wanted to pop in here and express our PROFOUND THANKS for all that you guys do! VOLUNTEERS are the engine room of FLITE FEST and it literally would NOT HAPPEN without you all! So, from the bottom of our hearts here at FT... THANK YOU!! I know ANDRE is beyond pleased with how you guys handle yourselves and STEP UP every year to make things go off without a hitch!

Keep up the great work and WE CANNOT WAIT TO SEE YOU ALL THERE! If you know a friend who wants to help out ...share this thread or get em involved... we would love to have them and we also want to meet them!

YOU GUYS ROCK!

Blessings,
Stefan and the FT crew!

allenajs

That's more like it!! :)

Looking forward to meeting you Stefan and the rest of the gang. Because of the playful nature of the VLOGs, you guys are all like family now. Can't wait to meet you all. Be sure to stop by the Family Tent and say hi and get some shade.

--Allen

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
For anyone thinking about volunteering but haven't done the sign up yet, stop what you're doing and go to http://www.flitefest.com/east/ and come join us!

I had a ton of fun being an entrance greeter last year - met/made a friend while there - and would love it do it again this year, except I think I have early onset senility 'cause I signed up to be a flight line chief.

Please take pity on me if you see me on the flight line and say hello - but especially make sure to say hello at the pilots meeting that I am VERY SURE you will all attend before flying! :)

jtbluefeather

Did I miss the place to sign up for a specific job? If so, I'd like to do first aid and/or shuttle as my first choices. I was a paramedic and a truck driver in former lives, so these seem like they'd be right up my alley.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I am not sure if former lives count, but if you have that experience in this life, your best bet is to contact Andre directly.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Flite Fest East 2017 Volunteer Update 07

Hello FFE17 Volunteers!
Please find attached the latest schedule.
If you require any changes take note and talk to me at the event.

I'm submitting this copy for printing today.
Any requests can be updated manually next week.

We have a few gaps to fill in specially on Thursday and Sunday but overall this year we have managed to add a huge amount of depth to all the key positions. Again thank you.

Right now we are hovering around the 200 which is a huge accomplishment.

With the 4 shifts per day that means no one should be over tasked.
Remember this is about having fun and taking care of yourself. Sun screen, hats and hydration.

This will most likely be the last update since everyone will start travelling early next week.

Travel safe and have a wonderful weekend.
I can't wait to see you all next week.

Thank you.

Andre

Attachments

• Flite Fest East 2017 Schedule 07 July.pdf
    131.6 KB · Views: 8

Papo_60

Help with Maidens

Andre, first let me say thanks for all the effort you have given to make the FF2017 volunteer program a success. This is a monumental task and you have been great at organizing everything and keeping us all informed. I plan to have three primary tasks during my 4 days at FF2017. Number one is to meet and help as many people as possible while driving one of the golf carts between the parking area and build tents. Number two will be to build and maiden the FT Bushwacker. Number three is to maiden all 7 FT Planes I have built specifically to bring to FF2017.

I have always wanted to learn to fly rc planes but never was able to find the time while working and raising a family with my wonderful wife. Now that I have been retired for several years, building and flying FT Foam planes has been a dream come true. I'm sure I have built over 30 FT Planes, some models a few times, due to frequent crashes on my maidens. lol

So my question is, will there be volunteers around that are willing to help the not so experience pilots check over and maiden there new builds. All my building and flying knowledge and experience has come from watching and reading the many post on the Flite Test web site. Here at home I have not been successful at finding any other pilots wanting to build & fly these amazing DTFB Planes. Having some help to improve my success rate on maidens would be of great, great help to me. Thanks, Ron

PS: The planes I am bringing include 2 Mini Arrows, 2 Bloody Barons, FT Sportster, FT Viggen and the FT MIni Super Bee.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Papo - while I'm working the flight line from 4:30-8:00 every day that's exactly what I'll be doing, but would love to help you out any other time of the day too! In fact, I'm positive any person in the orange volunteer shirt would love to help out, and probably almost every other attendee at the event as well. But in particular, this a huge part of what flight line volunteers are there for :)

Maidens are always a tricky thing, and I've had my share of struggles. Luckily, those struggles can be learned from, and I would be happy to help pass along those tips, check your setups, and talk tactics and strategy as we get them in the air. :) I've had very good luck with my Mini Arrow, learning experiences with my Sportster and Baby Baron (the inspiration for the Super Bee and descendant of the Bloody Baron), and look forward to learning about the Viggen :)

Last edited:

Flite Risk

Such a great time at FFE 2017, thank you all for the phenomenal experience only 360 days to go!
AKA : Chris . . . From Delaware

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I want to thank all of the incredibly nice and knowledgeable people I got to meet thru the volunteer program. I know I have interacted with a lot of you here on the forums but getting to see and meet a lot more of you in person while being a volunteer makes it that much more personal. There was not one of you who did not make me feel at home as part of a family.

This experience was amazing. There is not one muscle in my body that does not ache. It is even painful having this keyboard on my lap to type. Although the first two days was a total swamp fest this has been on of the best times in my life. If you read this and you have not volunteered. make zero plans to do anything and volunteer at another flight fest and experience what it is like to help so many people and get to know them all while being part of such an amazing group of people.

Thank you so much Andre!!!

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I want to thank all of the incredibly nice and knowledgeable people I got to meet thru the volunteer program. I know I have interacted with a lot of you here on the forums but getting to see and meet a lot more of you in person while being a volunteer makes it that much more personal. There was not one of you who did not make me feel at home as part of a family.

This experience was amazing. There is not one muscle in my body that does not ache. It is even painful having this keyboard on my lap to type. Although the first two days was a total swamp fest this has been on of the best times in my life. If you read this and you have not volunteered. make zero plans to do anything and volunteer at another flight fest and experience what it is like to help so many people and get to know them all while being part of such an amazing group of people.

Well said. And thank you, I just help with direction. You make it happen!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
It was great to meet you in person PsyBorg!

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Flite Fest East 2017 - Thank you

IMG_5976.jpg

Sorry for the delay in sending this out.
Life after Flite Fest is always busy ;)

I want to keep this short and sweet.
Simply put THANK YOU!

You collectively as the Flite Fest Volunteer Team embody the spirit of Flite Test.

This year was a prime example of how we had to remain flexible and react to the ever changing demands and conditions.

I could not have been more proud of watching a very dedicated team figure out issues and come together with solutions.

While I know first hand things did not go as smoothly as we'd like I still feel this extremely happy with the outcome as you should too.

Every year we grow and learn.

I encourage you to fill out the survey FT will be sending out soon and if you have any comments, notes or ideas please send them to me.

Again thank you for making FFE17 a success.

See you in 2018!

Andre.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Pride!

This message was forwarded.

Too all the volunteers. YEAH!

“The volunteers make the event. I pulled in at 11:00 pm rainy Thursday night in my rented RV after a nightmare flight from San Francisco trying to get there through Chicago. I was greeted at the gate by a smiling fellow in an orange volunteer T-shirt that said “welcome, glad you made it. Pull in find a place to park for the night, relax and we will see you in the morning at the registration tent right over there.” The stress and worry were gone and it made everything better immediately! The entire weekend the volunteer staff and the Flite Test crew were nothing but awesome to everybody there. This year in San Francisco we are celebrating the 40th anniversary of 1967's Summer of Love. But as far as I am concerned the Summer of Love 2017 was in Canton, Ohio at Flite Test and I can say I was there for it! Thank you all for making that happen.”

Fidget

On the post-event survey that I got via e-mail, when I click "Yes, I volunteered" the survey won't go on when I click "next". Anyone else having that problem?

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
On the post-event survey that I got via e-mail, when I click "Yes, I volunteered" the survey won't go on when I click "next". Anyone else having that problem?

Yep, the host is having issues. Click on no but fill out the other details.

Andre.