rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Speed is fine, just not over the runway close in to the flight line. Stay out over the field where nobody is in the way and let 'er rip!

But do remember that Flite Fest is a place to bring the friends you love and the planes you don't! There is no limit on the number of planes airborne at once, and the airspace gets crowded.

Mid air collisions are not just likely, it's more a matter of how many per hour occur. I'd say it's around 15-20 CPH (collisions per hour) from my experience working the flight line. And when a good "thwack" is heard it's great fun to look over and see the rain of foam parts! :D

It's a whole lot of fun, but be mindful of the environment with tons of new flyers and don't bring your prize $5,000 EDF unless you're OK with being the star of a spectacular crash video :D

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I haven't had an issues either, but besides sunscreen (lots!) I used some "mild" bug spray in the evenings. By "mild" I mean, it was non deet based, more with essential oils and stuff.

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
So are the bugs pretty bad at flitefest Ohio? (Flys and mosquitoes) just wondering how many cans of bug spray to pack.

None of the other folks here have problems with bugs at FF because I'm like a human mosquito magnet. Just my presence will make make it look like "Pig Pen" from Charlie Brown is there, except that's not a cloud of dirt surrounding me, but a cloud of mosquitoes and gnats. That's covered head to toe with DEET based spray, which to me seems to only make them angier.

Russtynailz

so I finally got my vacation request approved today and i'm going to register for FF Ohio, one question,
I have a truck Tent, do i need to book an RV site to set up in the truck or is a camping site going to work?
truck tent.jpg

Last edited:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Camping spots are fine for that. They are 20x20 or 25x25 forget which. enough to get a ten and yer car on and still have room for gear and planes and such. Litterbug has similar or the same set up as well as others and they were fine on a normal spot.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
None of the other folks here have problems with bugs at FF because I'm like a human mosquito magnet. Just my presence will make make it look like "Pig Pen" from Charlie Brown is there, except that's not a cloud of dirt surrounding me, but a cloud of mosquitoes and gnats. That's covered head to toe with DEET based spray, which to me seems to only make them angier.

Hey at least you didn't grow up in Jersey like I did where the mosquito is the "Unofficial" state bird. At least I know who to head for when the evening comes and the bugs all come out for dinner hehe

Russtynailz

i keep a can of bug spray in the truck at all times during the spring/summer/fall because the bugs are horrible here. it will be nice to be somewhere that the bugs are not to bad.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
The good thing is FF is a camping event so if you don't shower the entire time the bugs should not be a problem if you stay by the fire in the evenings and get that burnt wood smell working. However.. getting close to other humanz could be.

Russtynailz

The good thing is FF is a camping event so if you don't shower the entire time the bugs should not be a problem if you stay by the fire in the evenings and get that burnt wood smell working. However.. getting close to other humanz could be.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Russtynailz

i am planning on pulling the power system out of my Phase3 F16 and building a X-29 at flite fest, looks like a fun plane and will compliment my Viggen Nicely. so looking forward to meeting new people in the hobby.