FLITE FEST EAST - IMPORTANT INFO!

makattack

Winter is coming
Mentor
This isn't your first year though it is Balu? What have the international guests done in the past? This is mine. Unbelievable! But since it is, I just recently had the AMA requirement presented to me adn didn't want anyone else to get caught unaware.

What have you done in the past?

Not having worked as a volunteer for registration, I can't say for sure, but I believe they do offer single day event registration options for getting an AMA number.

Also, I'm not an event manager, but have participated in them at my club in a support capacity. I know that most of our events are C or unrestricted events. I suspect FliteFest is the same. For those, it's available to all AMA members, and any affiiliated organizations such as MAAC (for Canada). For people outside of AMA and MAAC, I believe that's where the event based membership comes into play, which they call an Affiliate Membership.

Here's the text in the event managers guide:

2. Membership Applications for Affiliate Members
On current membership applications, there is a certain section for Affiliate
Members. To properly determine the eligibility of foreign participants to enter an
AMA sanctioned event, the EM must make sure these participants possess a valid
membership card from the aero club representing their country or an FAI Sporting
License. (The possession of an FAI Sporting License would indicate that the
participant has an aero club membership, but the reverse need not be true.)
If they have a valid membership with their aero club, they may apply to be an
Affiliate Member in AMA and participate the same day in a sanctioned event. The
Affiliate Membership provides liability insurance coverage for the foreign
member while he or she is flying in the United States, both for sport flying and for
sanctioned events, as long as the flying is done in compliance with the current
AMA Safety Code.
Current MAAC membership cards can be accepted for entry in place of AMA
cards. Be certain to identify the numbers as MAAC.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
What have you done in the past?

I did not fly anything - no, seriously - I was way too busy meeting people, helping in build-tents, stealing Andre's golf cart to shuttle people and much more :). I am still an absolute newbie with fixed wings after four(?) years...

2015 I did one flight of a Bixler buddy boxed with Josh because he wanted to test the setup (when he asked me if I could help him test it, I said "You know I don't have fixed wing experience, right?" To which he replied: "Perfect, just what I need." :-D). AMA was around at that event, but even they didn't know how to handle international guests correctly without selling a full membership.

2016 I attended the world record event as my very first solo flight with a Micro Radian I got an hour or two earlier and basically just managed to bind it to my Taranis and set it up correctly to be able to hold it in the air for as long as I can. But that of course was just another teaching moment too. From what I understand experienced pilots can train / show new pilots the basics without them being a member. My spotter could have taken over any time :).

I have a membership of the DMFV in Germany with full insurance worldwide even outside of club fields. But the AMA does not accept that at events... :-/

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I have a membership of the DMFV in Germany with full insurance worldwide even outside of club fields. But the AMA does not accept that at events... :-/

I'm thinking that if the purpose of having the AMA membership is to cover financial liability then maybe the requirement could be reworded to allow for other means of coverage such as yours. If there are other organizations that would cover here in the US then maybe a list of those recognized organizations could be used.

I'm guessing this is a decision not made by the AMA but by Flite Test.

On the flip side, if there is ever a Flite Fest Europe, I wonder if the AMA covers that.

mybad

CLASS REGISTRATION?

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but where do you sign up for the build classes? Last year, some were sold out!

lrussi750

Rogue Pilot
Mentor
CLASS REGISTRATION?

Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but where do you sign up for the build classes? Last year, some were sold out!

Class sign-up is not available yet, but it should be up soon per the last update email sent out by Flite Test.

Hello!
Can you believe that Flite Fest East is only 27 days away? We hope you are as excited as we are! Currently, we have 850+ pre-registered Pilots and 6 countries represented!
As the event nears, we will be sending emails to keep you updated with all things you need to know about Flite Fest East 2017.

Here's a checklist of things to get excited about:
Schedule of Events and Event Layout (now listed on flitefest.com)
Camping with old and new friends
Open Fly
Build Tents
Combat
STEM Courses
FPV Racing
Amazing Vendors & Sponsors
What to expect in future updates:
Registration for Build Series
What do when you arrive at Flite Fest East

This year at #FFE17 we are excited to bring you demonstrations by Aviator Paramotor! Check out the link below to see the awesome flight that some of our team got to experience first hand!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZZXfM1f9sM

We are still looking for volunteers for Build Tent, Flight Line, Shuttle Drivers, Parking and many more! If you would like to be a volunteer at Flite Fest East, please contact Andre Rousseau via email at: andre@flitetest.com

If you have any questions about Flite Fest East, please email us at festival@flitetest.com

We look forward to flying with you in July!

Flite Fest East 2017

date
Thursday, July 13, 2017 at 8:00 AM - Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 6:00 PM (EDT)
date 8050 Avalon Road Northwest
Malvern, OH 44644
Organized by Flite Test
map
Download Tickets
Mobile Tickets
Contact the Organizer

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Yes! Although we'll all try to convince you to stay overnight anyway, so bring spare undies and a toothbrush. :)

alan0043

rockyboy

Yes! Although we'll all try to convince you to stay overnight anyway, so bring spare undies and a toothbrush.

Or turn them inside out and use your finger with some borrowed toothpaste!

Cheers!
LitterBug

LOL. I try to bring a go bag. LOL

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Ok it is official.. I am coming to FFE!! Just completed the registration as well as got my AMA set up. Hopefully neither require me to do any printing as I do not own a printer.. I will stick the screen shots of the confirmations on a mem stick to bring with me just in case I can not provide hard copy before leaving to get there.

rockyboy

Skill Collector
Mentor
Ok it is official.. I am coming to FFE!! Just completed the registration as well as got my AMA set up. Hopefully neither require me to do any printing as I do not own a printer.. I will stick the screen shots of the confirmations on a mem stick to bring with me just in case I can not provide hard copy before leaving to get there.

Excellent!! :applause:

If you want to PM me the screen shot I can bring you a hard copy in case there is any weirdness - I'll be onsite Wednesday afternoon to help with setup.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
I got the pdf for the pass already would that be better to print and when we meet I can grab it from you?

Corbarrad

I've been a regular at Flite Fest east, flying in from germany for two years running.
This year I'd almost given up on the trip, but today I got the opportunity to take the two weeks I need off.

I have two problems that I need help with now:

-I need a contact person in the US to finish my ESTA application, complete with address and Phone number. Can you provide contact data for FliteFest?

-Tent camping spots seem to be booked solid. I wanted to camp with my usual neighbours again this year. I'd be willing to pay for an RV spot if that'll get me settled.

I have sent this message via PM to @Flitetest. just repeating it here to get maximum coverage.

Edit:
Also sent it as an "urgent" support mail. kinda getting desparate at this point.

Last edited:

basslord1124

Master member
Things just didn't quite work out for us to do FFE...but that's ok, by this time next year I should have plenty of planes I could bring for next year's event and hopefully my schedule will be nicer too.

travelerdawg

Multi-rotor Joker
Hey all, this will be my first FliteFest. I am camping. For my gear I have: tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, battery powered fan, pop up canopy, bag chair, small aluminium folding table, hammock. For all those that have camped there before, is there any advise that you can give? I decided to stay on site because of the stories that I have heard from what used to be the FT After Hours crew and how much fun they had when the sun went down! I look forward to seeing y'all there!