Flite fest Europe???

robobob

Now, as a member of the elite test community living in the United Kingdom it is safe to say that it would be extremely difficult and expensive to gp to a flite fest in America. For a start plane tickets don't come cheap and that doesn't take into account the issue of trying to take something to fly at flite fest. (Flite Fest would be absolutely no fun if you could not participate!!!)
This may not be such a problem for quad and heli pilots, but planes, especially ones without detachable wings, would be next to impossible to take, without paying an extortionate fee for an oversize baggage.

I may in fact represent only a very small portion of the flite test community, I don't know? But the fact that in reality attending a flite fest is very unrealistic, saddens me greatly.

So I thought why not make an attempt to recreate/put on, a flite fest somewhere in Europe? Now I'm not volunteering to organise this, but more just pushing an idea out to the community for others to perhaps jump on board with and even try draw to the attention of the FT guys.

Realistically though there are plenty of places across France, Switzerland or other European countries (perhaps even the UK?) where an event like this could take place.... Compared to getting to America transport seems considerably easier and much more affordable, as many people within mainland Europe could drive or take the train. But even for those of us in the United Kingdom, the eurotunnel and cross channel ferry present extremely affordable options.

So I ask you, members of the European Flite Test Community, what are your opinions on trying to make a European Flite Fest happen at some point in the upcoming future, maybe even this year???

Corbarrad

As a fellow european I agree it's a costly endeavor getting to flite fest each year.
That said it's been so worth it every time so far. Of course you might have a family or a social life keeping you from attending...

I never take a plane with me. Building one on site is half the fun. I only take my TX, a receiver and some select electronics with me. Everything else I can get (and get rid off) at the Festival itself. The plane isn't meant to survive. The foam stays behind and the electronics come home with me for next year.

I have heard people talking about a Flite Fest Germany in association with Graupner. I don't know how concrete those plans are nor am I sure we'll be able to have a similarily relaxed event here in germany, all i know is that if it does happen I'll be there.

Hey, Balu... Do you know anything I don't?

Last edited:

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
As a fellow european I agree it's a costly endeavor getting to flite fest each year.
That said it's been so worth it every time so far. Of course you might have a family or a social life keeping you from attending...

I never take a plane with me. Building one on site is half the fun. I only take my TX, a receiver and some select electronics with me. Everything else I can get (and get rid off) at the Festival itself. The plane isn't meant to survive. The foam stays behind and the electronics come home with me for next year.

I have heard people talking about a Flite Fest Germany in association with Graupner. I don't know how concrete those plans are nor am I sure we'll be able to have a similarily relaxed event here in germany, all i know is that if it does happen I'll be there.

Hey, Balu... Do you know anything I don't?

Balu would be the person who'd head it, I would think! :) And odd as this sounds, I wouldn't mind traveling to Europe for a Flite Fest - it would give me a chance to see something outside of the United States, and have fun flying with other nationalities that may not speak English as a native language, but speak the language of RC flight. :)

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I think this is doable but with some expected hurdles such as travel and language. i would be surprised if it happened within the next 2 years. Maybe 2020 or later.

On the positive, we have the best community with members on every continent except Antarctica. If the FT powers that be choose to cross the pond for a Flite Fest as I'm sure there would be some local support. Gauging how much attendance and support to match it seems to be a dynamic that would change with each location. Nevertheless, I enjoy languages and would find it very exciting to cross the pond myself and meet so many more people.

My first question would be which country would be first to host it. Spain, of course, would be convenient for me and I know there are at least a few more members there but I also know there are members in other parts of Europe. The Paris Air Show happens every odd year. Maybe there's something to be learned from that event which could be used.

And if Flite Fest Europe can happen, then down the road we might also like to see a Flite Fest Down Under.

robobob

I think this is doable but with some expected hurdles such as travel and language.

I mean, to clarify the idea behind a European Flite Fest would be to reduce or virtually remove the inconvenience associated wiith trying to go to a Flite Fest in America. Switzerland, France, Germany, Belgium and a large portion of Italy can be easily got to one another. The cost is also a fraction of the cost of flying to America. For example TGV tickets from Paris to Zurich start from about €25. (if the internet has informed me correctly.)

Language is not something I had considered, however I would assume a large portion of this community came together after watching flite test videos, I know that's what made me come over to the forum and get into making planes, but the point is that these videos are in English. (I think it would also be fair to say most of the posts on this forum are in english) So I think we could assume that most people attending would be able to speak enough English to all communicate with each other. If not there would hopefully be enough there for there to be people who speak the same language as you, but also speak english, to communicate through. And as sprzout briefly touched on, it would be an excellent testament to how rc flight is this universal hobby that can be understood all around the world.

As for where it could be hosted, well certainly the laws on flying planes and the price/availability of either renting out an airstrip or field would be significant factors. But even as easy as it is to travel around Europe, the travel distance is something to take into account. Personally I would guess that somewhere in France or Switzerland might be ideal, possibly leaning more toward France, as my guess is it would be cheaper to host it there. This is full flight not rc now, but my uncle kept his plans hangared in France rather than Switzerland, even though he lives in there because it was so much cheaper. I do however know there was also an rc community at the airfield where my uncle flew, so I would assume that France being cheaper than Switzerland applies for hosting an event like this rather than just full scale aviation.

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
As a french guy, I said that I want FF europe before and I will continue saying it. I guess it would happen in Germany since having it in France would be too easy, of course it has to be in another country than mine but I don't care, I want to visit stuff anyways.

Germany and GB usually have big rc events but those are not like FF so that would be a nice change, also the FT guys working with Graupner probably influences that quite a bit.

I fact I don't know about much rc events at all in France, I guess for those you have to be a member of the french federation and it's like 200€ a year so way too much for most peoples that build aircrafts that are worth about 20.

robobob

As a french guy, I said that I want FF europe before and I will continue saying it. I guess it would happen in Germany since having it in France would be too easy, of course it has to be in another country than mine but I don't care, I want to visit stuff anyways.

But there's always going to be one country or another in Europe that out would be more convenient for. In all honesty just looking at a map and trying to judge what would be about equidistant (or easy to get to) from any part of Europe, I'd say that somewhere on the swiss/french border would be perfect, Geneva or so? However there's also the cost of hiring out event space to consider. Either way I think it will be very difficult to absolutely please every FT member in Europe, but as you also said anywhere in Europe would be amazing and worth going to.

Hello, just wanted to throw my 2P in the fountain...

I seriously considered FF17 in Ohio this year, however, when I found out it clashed with RIAT, the decision was made and I went to RIAT for the week.

I would very much like to see a FF Europe, but deciding where would be a conundrum, no doubt about it. I guess if they already partner with Graupner the decision is made, for the first one anyway, if there was to be such an event.

Given enough notice I wouldn't have a problem visiting anywhere in Europe for an event. I like the community/family spirit ethos that the Flite Test team have, and I'd like to be a part of that. It's a very refreshing change from the corporate culture I'm used to working in.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
Well, I've been telling the rumor for a while, that we are going to have a Flite Fest 2018 in Europe - mainly to create some peer pressure of course ;).

You guys are guessing pretty well. I have heard that Flite Test is talking with Graupner about Flite Fest Europe, since they can't organize something like this on a different continent themselves. Graupner being their European distributor and a well known brand in Europe is a good choice in my opinion.

I'm guessing that also means it'd be somewhere around Graupner's headquarters which is in southern Germany close to Stuttgart. Stuttgart has an airport which would allow people to fly in and it is a nice "central" point if you look at a European map. And it is a really nice area to visit and fly too.

I don't know anything about how serious the plans are though. I've asked Jordan and Josh a few times at Flite Fest, but they didn't want to or couldn't give me any specifics. It is a pretty big thing to organize and lots of pitfalls to navigate. Us Germans aren't know for bureaucracy without a reason....

But they know that lots of people here are asking about it and they really want to come over and have some fun flying with us. So I am really sure it is going to happen, just not when.

PS: Also they are having quite a lot on their hands with their Destination Location and Flite Fest South at the moment. We might hear something after that...

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
Flite Fest Downunder?

Apart from the concerns associated with the different gravity we have here and the fear that the planes from the northern hemisphere might need to fly upside down and that they could fall upwards to never be seen again, the place is huge with a widely dispersed population and transport costs can be horrific for long distance travel and freight.

Fortunately our local media is starved of anything really news worthy and we have a federal minister for recreation and tourism so some form of sponsored and federally organised event exists.

As I know these things require a lot of planning nothing is urgent and so I might check with the governments here to see if they might be interested in hosting what is an international event!

Have fun!

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
I just want to see which way the water goes down the toilet for myself. Actually, I've had enough friends head down there and with all the FT friends there it's all just added to the interest I've always had to go.

Danke Balu for chiming in. I think the timing has never been better for me to get cracking on German. My new boss at work says she speaks it too as well as a man from Germany at church. I've got motive and means. Now on to the schlüsselwörter!:D

I learnt all my German from WW2 films and being overly geeky about World War 2 german aircraft. Never done me any harm. Usually because their English far surpasses my pigeon German...

Corbarrad

As much as I'm excited by the prospect of a Flite Fest in Germany I'm a little worried about bureaucracy killing the spirit of the event.
Germany is very densely populated and one of our favourite Hobbies seems to be complaining.
I sure hope the guys can secure a place both big enough and secluded from any naysayers and worrywarts.

Wouldn't be much different in the UK. Although the club I fly with has a very secluded flying field. We like queues but damn you guys are good at following process... :)

Ricci

Posted a thousand or more times
Flitefest Europe will be great!! The bureaucracy in germany can be a problem. I think a battleflight like in US will be not possible, but never the less wil be a grat event. Unfortunatelly i will be the next 2 Years in India so 2020 will be a grat date for Flite fest Europe :)

Hai-Lee

Old and Bold RC PILOT
The term combat seems so confrontational especially in modern times perhaps a better term might be either a Demolition Derby or a Recycling (Breakdown) Event!:rolleyes:

have fun!

robobob

So excited to hear about the probability of a flite fest in germany, it would certainly be a better option budgeting wise as oppose to the US. In fact, I reckon I could get hold of flights there using air miles, though having looked into it, bus would seem to be the cheapest way to get there. At around £70 it looks to be the cheapest, but also not too bad considering the option for taking a plane if I felt I wanted it would probably be available. Granted at 18 hours on the bus it's extremely unpleasant, but hey, I reckon getting there would be worth it.

*Edit* Turns out I can fly from Manchester to stuttgart at a fantastic £35! If this flite fest happens I'll definitely be there!

Last edited:

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
I have another question, would we need to get some special "pilot pass" in order to fly in Germany? I assume yes but how much would it be?