Flite Fest - Gear you didnt know you needed

rcbif

I thought this would be a fun thread, because who doesn't like buying new stuff?

What odd-ball Items have you bought on a whim for Flite Fest or other R/C events that ended up being a good investment?

USB rechargeable headlamp - So many ways to charge - no batteries needed. Good for working in a tent...or not twisting an ankle tripping over tent lines or field ruts. I used the red-light function of this during my night flights while working on my PPL (older airplanes)
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GD463NE/?tag=lstir-20

USB rechargeable camping lamp - great little lamp that lit up my whole 12x12 tent last year. Have used in multiple power outages at home, and doubles as a battery bank.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AW7Q1EO/?tag=lstir-20

Small Generator - I got mine for $350 shipped a few years back. Have only used it at flite fest, but good knowing in the event of a natural disaster that you can run a few things around the house. Dont have the money? Bring an extension cord. Your neighbor will likely have one, and you can buy them food or gas in return :)
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Pulsar-200...170467&hash=item4d75a233c0:g:Jz8AAOSwYf9bIjJf

What you got?

RickyG

What a great thread! I have an EarthQuake 800watt generator it's worked fantastic for me and is pretty quiet. What I'm mulling over right now is some sort of shade chair... I'm thinking of just getting a beach umbrella and zip tying it to a folding chair. Thoughts?

Ricky

rcbif

What a great thread! I have an EarthQuake 800watt generator it's worked fantastic for me and is pretty quiet. What I'm mulling over right now is some sort of shade chair... I'm thinking of just getting a beach umbrella and zip tying it to a folding chair. Thoughts?

Ricky

As far as your generator, I looked at a clone of it when I was considering which one to get. To anyone looking for the smallest 4-stroke generator possible, this seems to be it.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sportsman-1000-Watt-Inverter-Generator-CARB-Approved/55484475
If you are looking for a budget generator, I would really consider one of these (above), vs. the Harbor Freight 2-strokes. The extra $80 or so would be worth it. Just keep in mind with that wattage, one of these is probably barely able to run a full-size fridge. R/C chargers and a fan though - no problem.

No opinion on shade chairs. Last year, Flite Fest event center had a nice open tent to get shade, yet still easily spot airplanes from. For your campsite, I suggest a budget ez-up. Just remember to stake down if there is a hint of wind so they dont become projectiles.

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor

Ricky

Shade chairs are nice, but as a warning, don't buy the cheapest one you can find. I've seen them for as cheap as $30 at the local Wally World, and they're a little...flimsy. I mean, if you weigh in at 100 lbs or less, the cheap ones should be fine, but if you're built like me, you take a chance of having metal break or material rip. :)

If you have a Costco near you, check there right now; mine's had a bunch of them on sale for summer picnics and 4th of July BBQ events, and their chairs are usually high quality.

Liam B

Just a small Walmart tent is great. Even if you have a trailer or other arrangements, you can keep planes in them and away from the humidity and sun. Foamboard and humidity doesn’t mix unfortunately!

sprzout

Knower of useless information
Mentor
A personal fan of some sort.

That's a little hard for me to get...I'm not very popular.

Oh, wait, you meant something that moves air. :ROFLMAO::D

Something I saw at the Target in AZ a few weeks ago were these "cool bandanas" - they were made out of something that was like a neoprene material, and you soaked them in cold water or threw them in your cooler. When it got hot, you pulled them out and put them around your neck, and it helped keep you cool. Something to look for, perhaps?

b-29er

These things
1561343097131.png

an old APC Battery backup. Its very useful if you like power and your neighbors arent bueno with a generator running at 11pm next to their tent. and just in general for running the generator less.

RickyG

Look what I just came up with! I think it will be perfect?

Ricky

Attachments

• 20190704_131741.jpg
    20190704_131741.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 0