Flite Fest Live Stream Q&A and Comments

BankNYank!

Mentor
I'm hoping this thread will be a good stop off for Q&A or comments you may have about the Flite Fest live stream. So please post any questions or comments you may have about the live stream of the event.

I'll kick things off with a couple questions.

Is there a schedule for the live stream camera or is it just going to be the Flite Fest explorer going here and there checking out whats going on? Either way is absolutely fine by me! Just wondering.

My second question. Is the live stream supposed to be up and running live 24 hours a day for the entire event? If not I think it would be cool just to stick a camera up somewhere like in the event tent and let it run whenever its not being actively used.

Thanks guys for any help and thanks to Flite Test for streaming Flite Fest live for those of us who couldn't make it!

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
I'm loving the live stream. I'm just wondering if they'll be brave/crazy enough to strap the streamer to something and give us some live aerial footage of the event - kind of hard to really grasp the scope of it from the ground ;)

Of course given what the livestream boxes cost I can easily understand if they don't. But the other suggestion I've heard of hooking a 5.8rx to the livestream would be interesting and put less expensive hardware in the air (with somewhat lower quality due to the 5.8 link)

BankNYank!

Mentor
I'm loving the live stream of the event also! I wish they would keep the link going even when they aren't actively doing anything. It would be nice just to have a constant live view of the event.

I'm sure someone there has a big multirotor they could strap the live stream camera to. But agreed, if they don't wanna take that kinda risk they could just throw up some fpv gear and pump that into the stream. An live aerial view of the event would be awesome!

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
That combat this morning was epic, so glad I got to catch it as it happened. Just a little bummed they haven't had much more streaming going since :( Battery life on the streamer, and it looked like they have a Verizon myfi on there as well, is probably limited so I'm guessing we'll see more video later.

My wife was impressed enough by the combat that she asked if we can make plans to go next year if they do it again :D (My parents live just west of Cleveland where I grew up so we could combine it with a trip to visit them.) Hope it all goes smooth enough the announce plans for flite fest II soon so we can start to make plans ;)

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
It's probably not going to happen for this FF, but for next year it would be epic if the live streaming included direct FPV feed from any one flying FPV at the event. Kind of like how those guys in the build booth were watching someone fly FPV and the live stream tried to capture the video via their monitor. Too much glare, but it was still cool.

BankNYank!

Mentor
That combat this morning was epic, so glad I got to catch it as it happened. Just a little bummed they haven't had much more streaming going since :( Battery life on the streamer, and it looked like they have a Verizon myfi on there as well, is probably limited so I'm guessing we'll see more video later.

My wife was impressed enough by the combat that she asked if we can make plans to go next year if they do it again :D (My parents live just west of Cleveland where I grew up so we could combine it with a trip to visit them.) Hope it all goes smooth enough the announce plans for flite fest II soon so we can start to make plans ;)

The combat was awesome!! I've never seen so many planes in the air at once. That was simply amazing. I so wish I could of been there, even if it was just to watch!

It's probably not going to happen for this FF, but for next year it would be epic if the live streaming included direct FPV feed from any one flying FPV at the event. Kind of like how those guys in the build booth were watching someone fly FPV and the live stream tried to capture the video via their monitor. Too much glare, but it was still cool.

Being able to stream someones fpv feed would be awesome. I keep thinking about my PZ Radian and how awesome it would be to be there and just throw some fpv gear on it and let it circle the field at a couple hundred feet!

baronbernie

Just finished watching the last video and was impressed by the 300% FT Flyer. That must have been a very large electric motor they used, along with the 13-inch propeller. Maybe they should have replaced the ESC with the next size bigger as the flight time was short and heated the existing ESC pretty quick. :D

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Just finished watching the last video and was impressed by the 300% FT Flyer. That must have been a very large electric motor they used, along with the 13-inch propeller. Maybe they should have replaced the ESC with the next size bigger as the flight time was short and heated the existing ESC pretty quick. :D

Duuuuuude . . . the 300% flyer was every bit as epic IRL. she came out soooo nice and she flew so very pretty. a little twitchy between the tail-heavy balace and rates, but oh so nice with the tailerons and rudder. First time I flew a Giant-scale *anything*, but I loved it, and set her down on the runway :D (well, barely on the runway, but she made it down on her own ;) )

The ESC actually wasn't the weakest link -- The motor was an EMAX 3526/04 810KV motor with a 13x6.5" prop on 4S with a plush 60, and the late morning flight, the battery came back fully puffed. IMO, way too fast of a prop for the slow speeds she flew, but the biggest prop Lazertoys had on hand at the time.

The maiden at 1:30 AM (you'll love the video from it), smoked a NTM 35 series motor (Can't remember which one) after about 30-45s, but flew with a shorter but slower prop.

For the flight you saw, the ESC was very warm, but the motor was very hot. a slower 13 or even a realy slow 14 would putt around in the sky with enough thrust to make a huge difference, and run way cooler for way longer.

I kept saying, we need 3 more days with her to tune her up, and start doing some REALLY cool things with it, but we left it with the FT crew in one piece (I'm hoping CrashRecovery reclaimed his rx), with a request that Peter (Foam&Tape) finish cleaning up the power system and do something creatively destructive with it.

BankNYank!

Mentor
Austin posted this on Instagram. I guess it was shot from the hot air balloon?

http://instagram.com/p/q5P_ANCms_/

Also there is a group photo done by ImmersionRC:

https://twitter.com/FliteTest/status/493452955287166976

Thanks Balu! I never would of seen those had you not posted them!

Duuuuuude . . . the 300% flyer was every bit as epic IRL.

Craftydan ftw!! I am so jealous you got to fly that awesome FT Flyer and I didn't!!! The FT Flyer is one of my favorite FT planes. I bet it was really fun to fly that monster, AND you got to do it on Livestream!!!!! :D I love the part where your like, "somebody wanna" (land this)? and they are like, no you got it! lol Awesome!

Last edited:

CrashRecovery

I'm a care bear...Really?
Mentor
It was EPIC!!!!! That's the only way to describe it. I have to download the pics I have off my phone for the build log. You guys are going to love the episode that will be done for it!!!!!! I'd love to leak some video I have from my gopro that was mounted on it, but I do not want to ruin the surprise for you all. Dan is right a prop change would have made things better but that was the biggest one we could get in a pinch. Wait till they edit and drop the footage from our "midnight" maiden. From the first bit out of the hanger to when it smoked the motor was honestly the best thing I've ever seen. There was a 200% fogey as well but it did not perform or survive the way ours did. Some one also built a scaled up bloody wonder but nowhere our size. Our wingspan was 80 inches from wing tip to tip. I'll post up the exact measurements in a couple days. Peter flew the first two flights and on the daytime flight crafty, Wilsonman and myself all flew it. I've seen other scale build but nothing this clean.

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
It was a great build for sure. I've never hand-launched anything quite so large before. I honestly think if we had a .46 size motor and a 16x4 prop and it would fly much better. Many hats off to the other guys in the build. We were all wiped and delirious for the maiden but it was a blast.

rrittenhouse

We missed a TON of stuff being in front of the heli flight line and we arrived on Thursday night (at about 11pm).

Did anyone see triplettjon's projector and screen with Phoenix flight sim running on Friday night?

Also, did anyone see the Night Vapor combat Saturday night at like 11-12pm after the rain? :)

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
The Angry Swordsman's coffee is to blame.
I mean why else would the volunteer crew still be up at 1:30 am?

I asked John Furry if he heard us, he said nope :)

Jippz

250% Old Fogey

We did end up propping up and she flew great but then the rain started durning the night flight and softened the wing tip and it folded on me! This guy got some good footage of the night flight! http://youtu.be/qnPA2gGcJLM

earthsciteach

We did end up propping up and she flew great but then the rain started durning the night flight and softened the wing tip and it folded on me! This guy got some good footage of the night flight! http://youtu.be/qnPA2gGcJLM

I couldn't believe you nuts were flying it in the rain! It was totally epic when the wing folded. I didn't see the aftermath, but it looked like the wing folded where the under-cambered portion starts. It looked great in the air. The wind was kicking up pretty good then, too. Seemed to handle it fairly well. Nice job, guys!

BankNYank!

Mentor

I did see that video posted somewhere on the forum. That was an amazing build as well. I so have to start planning now so I can be there next year!

It was a great build for sure. I've never hand-launched anything quite so large before. I honestly think if we had a .46 size motor and a 16x4 prop and it would fly much better. Many hats off to the other guys in the build. We were all wiped and delirious for the maiden but it was a blast.

You were the one that hand launched that thing on the livestream feed??? When someone said something about hand launching it I thought they were kidding! Nope! Hand launched a plane bigger than the average person!!! Epic!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Yeah, after the first launch I knew exactly what needed to be done for a better launch. It was surprisingly easy but the wing loading made it simple going directly into the wind for the video. I've had some club members hand-launch me and they have totaled a couple models doing it. Knowing how to hand-launch is a good skill to have ;).