Flite Fest Ohio 2018 Volunteers

Rob D

Can't wait. Look forward to seeing everyone and all the new faces. 5 years woot woot I've learned im to old to sleep in a tent. 2 years camping had enough, 3 years hotel =good night's sleep haha. My kids seem better with hotel. The last camping there was (2 years ago) the vicious wind storm and thunderstorm. Poor kids were terrified. But was a great bucket list experience lol.
See ya there
and in the AIR.
Rob D

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I'm coming to FF OHIO this year. I've signed on as a volunteer too. What is the difference between the regular and super volunteer. (part time vs. Full time?)

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Since this is the volunteer thread for FF Ohio I was wondering if anyone here is interested in joining an air show at flite fest this year to honor veterans and active duty service men and women. There are more details here. The more people participate the more goes to helping those in serving and those who have served.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Flite Fest Ohio 2018 Volunteer Update #1

Good evening volunteers.

Planning for Flite Fest Ohio 2018 is well under way.

The volunteer list is growing, so first and foremost if you are a new volunteer for 2018 thank you and welcome!

If you're a returning volunteer. Amazing.

Over the coming weeks I will start reviewing and filling in details and as we get closer to the event the communication blasts will pick up.

Remember the more volunteers we have the better the experience is for everyone.
https://goo.gl/CBChxV

2017 was the best Ohio event to date and I want us to grow on that.

For 2018 we are making some changes to the volunteer program.
Growing and strengthening the whole base.

For now stay tuned and have a great week.

Thanks.

Andre.

Andre Rousseau - andre@flitetest.com
Flite Fest 2018 Volunteer Coordinator
http://flitefest.com/

Crazy Goats

I put this idea in another thread but want to add it here as a suggestion, I wonder if anyone has thought of getting the local CAP squadrons to come help out with volunteer work? The cadets would probably be able to volunteer out in parking and stuff even if they knew nothing about RC. FTFF is such an amazing, almost surreal place, It would almost certainly bring some new young people to the hobby. The cadets usually know how to work together and follow orders and all that, plus the squadron would probably be happy to send them out to volunteer and give them something to do. Any thoughts?

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I put this idea in another thread but want to add it here as a suggestion, I wonder if anyone has thought of getting the local CAP squadrons to come help out with volunteer work? The cadets would probably be able to volunteer out in parking and stuff even if they knew nothing about RC. FTFF is such an amazing, almost surreal place, It would almost certainly bring some new young people to the hobby. The cadets usually know how to work together and follow orders and all that, plus the squadron would probably be happy to send them out to volunteer and give them something to do. Any thoughts?
I like the idea as I have seen them at other places boasting a model plane at different events. It would certainly help since we need all the volunteers we can get this year.

Crazy Goats

It might even save work for Andre or whoever is running the volunteer show because he wouldn't have to constantly answer questions from, and direct individual volunteers (that's what it looked like when I volunteered). Just direct the officers, and they would pass it down to the NCOs who would direct the cadets in groups.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Hey Andre could we also set up a forum for those who want to volunteer with some of the giant builds going on at FF this year like local fiends giant flapjack? I think it would help support more giant planes.

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Flite Fest Ohio 2018 Volunteer Update #2

This is just a quick update to welcome all the new volunteers.
I unfortunately have been busy with work this month and have fallen behind on my responsibilities as volunteer coordinator.

For those who signed up for the Flite Crew "Super Volunteer" I will be going through the list and assigning role soon.

2018 is going to be a big year and I'm looking forward to it.
Every year we stride to make improvements to the volunteer program, this year introducing the Flite Crew. At the core the values have not changed just us becoming more organized and distributing the roles and responsibilities.

I am a huge believer in listening and at the same time encouraging growth.
The volunteers truly make Flite Fest work and last year I had the privilege to engage with so many great people all across the US.

I encourage you to take this year as an opportunity to continue the fine tradition of recruiting more volunteers. I get to read all your comments and smile when I see people telling me they were at FF 17 and want to volunteer this year. That's the spirit.

As always if you have any questions please feel free to email and keep the momentum going by posting on the forum.
https://forum.flitetest.com/index.php?threads/flite-fest-ohio-2018-volunteers.39912/

Thank you and have a great weekend.

Andre.

Andre Rousseau - andre@flitetest.com
Flite Fest 2018 Volunteer Coordinator
http://flitefest.com/

BridgeInspector

Flite Test Groupie
Just to clarify, for the set up crew we can come down as early as Monday to help?
They usually are not ready for volunteers on Monday before the event. From my experience, the Wednesday before is the big push to put things together. I plan my trip with giving 100% of my Wednesday to the effort, well maybe minus stopping to eat a few meals. There will not be any food trucks, so plan on making meals on your own. Thursday morning can also be very busy as well, polishing off last minute details.

Either way don't come early and plan on flying anything until the event starts, just working.

The Monday after the event, probably does need some help with clean up and tear down.

I would still get Andre to give you specific permission via email so he knows what help he will have and when.

Cheers

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
IN past years, I have showed up on Tuesday afternoon and worked fully through the remainder of that day and all day on Wednesday; basically sun up to sun down. Some evening flying does usually take place Wednesday evening to unwind but only after we have all helped each other out to complete our tasks.

That said, I am planning to arrive Wednesday morning this year and again, fully expect to work all day before I even think about unpacking the car and making camp.

From Andre's response and previous communications, it is acceptable to arrive early, provided that you give him advance notice as well as fully intending to help out with the event setup. There have been years (like 2017) where not all things have been fully setup due to weather or other complications so even showers may be unavailable. Just do not expect to be catered to, or to cater to the hosts and those who will be arriving for only the event. It is a service opportunity that is rewarding just by participating.