Flite Fest Ohio 2019 combat group project, members wanted!

Are you in and what power pack can you use? (choose two)

• Think I'll pass.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Small, non flite test motor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BS projects inc.

Elite member
For the last few months I have been figuring out the legitimacy of and idea I had for FFO combat group project and now I feel like the idea is polished enough to go through with this, in other words, this is happening. The idea is to have a large cargo plane fly around in a combat until the batteries get low, then drop a bunch of parasite planes towards the end of combat. I have the plans for the cargo plane complete and all of the electronics together and ready. The cargo plane will use four c-pack motors and will be made out of dtfb and 3d printed pieces for a light air-frame. It will hold 5-6 parasite planes depending on their size. I have several designs for the parasite plane but they are all dependent on what power pack they use and I want to know two things first.

1.) Who can participate?
2.) What power pack can you use?

This is a legitimate project that I will be taking to FFO this year and I would love to see some of you guys there. Let me know what you think!!!!

*edit*
no longer designing a parasite plane for this, any plane with a wingspan under "20 should work

Last edited:

b-29er

For the last few months I have been figuring out the legitimacy of and idea I had for FFO combat group project and now I feel like the idea is polished enough to go through with this, in other words, this is happening. The idea is to have a large cargo plane fly around in a combat until the batteries get low, then drop a bunch of parasite planes towards the end of combat. I have the plans for the cargo plane complete and all of the electronics together and ready. The cargo plane will use four c-pack motors and will be made out of dtfb and 3d printed pieces for a light air-frame. It will hold 5-6 parasite planes depending on their size. I have several designs for the parasite plane but they are all dependent on what power pack they use and I want to know two things first.

1.) Who can participate?

This is a legitimate project that I will be taking to FFO this year and I would love to see some of you guys there. Let me know what you think!!!!

I like the idea! I was actually going to try this last year with the b-36. At the time, the Punjet looked like the logical choice, since it has considerations for folding wings, you'd just need to add hardware for the drop system. If you wanna share some ideas on how the aircraft mount into the mothership, i may try to make the 36 compatible with it.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
I like the idea! I was actually going to try this last year with the b-36. At the time, the Punjet looked like the logical choice, since it has considerations for folding wings, you'd just need to add hardware for the drop system. If you wanna share some ideas on how the aircraft mount into the mothership, i may try to make the 36 compatible with it.
Sounds awesome! The parasite plane I am designing will not have collapsable wings. Instead it is going to be a stackable plane for a larger cargo bay.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
I’m in. What kind of plane should I build to fit inside of your cargo plane? What are my specs?
If you would prefer a flite test plane the punjet is a good one. If you want to design your own I would aim for something the size of the mini corsair/mustang.

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Insomuch as I once proposed this concept, I should probably get in. I also have Pun Jet kit laying around.

Last edited:

b-29er

Sounds awesome! The parasite plane I am designing will not have collapsable wings. Instead it is going to be a stackable plane for a larger cargo bay.

what kind of cargo bay dimensions are you thinking? heck, what general dimensions are you thinking for the mothership? and i'm assuming rear cargo door?

Last edited:

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Wingspan around 100 inches and Cargo bay doors will be roughly 60x20x20 which will make up about 70% of the fuse. The doors will actually open straight down so more planes can release at the same time and so if one plane get stuck in the others can still fall out. Today I build the Fuse. Right now the best planes to use are the baby brits, baby barons, and punjet. I'll be working on my own version of an F-pack size bloody baron but for now I am focussing most of my attention on the cargo plane.

b-29er

Wingspan around 100 inches and Cargo bay doors will be roughly 60x20x20 which will make up about 70% of the fuse. The doors will actually open straight down so more planes can release at the same time and so if one plane get stuck in the others can still fall out. Today I build the Fuse. Right now the best planes to use are the baby brits, baby barons, and punjet. I'll be working on my own version of an F-pack size bloody baron but for now I am focussing most of my attention on the cargo plane.

20x20 is a lot of fuse in the wind. You think 4 c-packs is enough?

BS projects inc.

Elite member
20x20 is a lot of fuse in the wind. You think 4 c-packs is enough?
I might scale it down a bit but 4 c-packs on 3s have a lot of thrust (over 11lbs) which should be able to muscle the plane through the air. Not to mention I will be using 4s batteries on this.

Last edited:

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Just thought I would mention. If anybody is going to do a custom build for this or anything that isn't a punjet, baby brit, or baby baron, please tell me. If it's the same general size I can probably make it fit but I would much prefer to find out if a plane is too big here on the forums instead of at flite fest. Thanks

JGplanes

I just ran across this thread, and I'm game. As a matter of fact, you might check out my "white diamond" build. It's small, very lightweight, easy to build, and stackable. You may even be able to clip the wings to make it a touch narrower.

The release thread is here, and the build video is on my YouTube channel. Let me know if you're interested.

JG

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!

1.) Who can participate?

Hello, is it possible for other airplanes long wing like the tiny trainer or a sparrow with a long wing (1-4) to be on top or underneath the cargo plane generating more lift until the battery dies potentially using the FT quick release or rubber band and Power Pack F. Also should all of the airplanes be marked? If yes than ABSOLUTELY!!!

Last edited:

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Hello, is it possible for other airplanes long wing like the tiny trainer or a sparrow with a long wing (1-4) to be on top or underneath the cargo plane generating more lift until the battery dies potentially using the FT quick release or rubber band and Power Pack F. Also should all of the airplanes be marked? If yes than ABSOLUTELY!!!
The planes should probably be marked and Im sure we can strap on a FT quick release on it.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
1557177523579.png 1557177598880.png I have recently finished the electronics ready first version of my plane for combat. It shouldn't weigh that much more than a typical sparrow, and after the results of the vote I assume that the motor will be power pack F. After the maiden I will install something to keep the wing from rocking from side to side while on the top of the wing. See you there! What are your opinions?
The planes should probably be marked and Im sure we can strap on a FT quick release on it.