Flite Fest Ohio 2019 combat group project, members wanted!

Are you in and what power pack can you use? (choose two)

• Think I'll pass.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Small, non flite test motor

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

BS projects inc.

Elite member
View attachment 130631 View attachment 130634 I have recently finished the electronics ready first version of my plane for combat. It shouldn't weigh that much more than a typical sparrow, and after the results of the vote I assume that the motor will be power pack F. After the maiden I will install something to keep the wing from rocking from side to side while on the top of the wing. See you there! What are your opinions?
I love the paint scheme, it looks awesome! Right now I have all of my materials gathered and my electronics in order. The build shouldn't take took long, I would say about a week considering how simple the plans are. I'm holding off on it just a bit because I want to see if they will release the thick foam-board. Overall though I can't wait to see it!

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I was finally able to get this plane flying, It needs some thrust angle mixing and more aileron throw to be able to fly over half throttle, but otherwise it is fit for combat. Big thanks to the more experienced pilot at the field who took me through troubleshooting, showed me a reliable launching technique, and flew for me.
. Also, should we find an area of Flite Fest to meet up at before the combat (this way nobody will spend too much time looking around and everyone can make sure that the planes fit). Perhaps somewhere on the left side of the map a close to the build tent or whatever is best for anyone here. https://static1.squarespace.com/sta...aa/1530561989903/ff18_map_OUTLINED-01+(1).png. I don't have a very a scale that is accurate to really more than a pound, so should I come up with an estimate of the weight or will it not matter? See you at Flite Fest, and good luck with building!

BS projects inc.

Elite member
I was finally able to get this plane flying, It needs some thrust angle mixing and more aileron throw to be able to fly over half throttle, but otherwise it is fit for combat. Big thanks to the more experienced pilot at the field who took me through troubleshooting, showed me a reliable launching technique, and flew for me.
. Also, should we find an area of Flite Fest to meet up at before the combat (this way nobody will spend too much time looking around and everyone can make sure that the planes fit). Perhaps somewhere on the left side of the map a close to the build tent or whatever is best for anyone here. https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5845acd8e6f2e1f15e5c3c55/t/5b3a85c5575d1fe4d577fcaa/1530561989903/ff18_map_OUTLINED-01+(1).png. I don't have a very a scale that is accurate to really more than a pound, so should I come up with an estimate of the weight or will it not matter? See you at Flite Fest, and good luck with building!
sounds good, I will be gone for a week but after that I have three weeks to get this plane airworthy!

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Construction of the cargo plane began today and went very well! The official dimensions it must fin in are "20 wide and 7" tall, length should not matter. I made the frame of the fuse today along with the elevator and rudder. It looks like it will be able to fit around 5-6 planes in it and all of my electronics and hardware are here. The fuse will be finished on Monday and the wing finished on Tuesday. The wing is not going to be attached until it's at flite fest because I don't have the capacity to bring a 7'x7' plane in one piece. The whole thing is powered by 4 power pack C motors and two 3000mah 3s batteries. I'll send pictures throughout the week, I hope to see you guys there!

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Today I built the wing, tomorrow I print out all the joints for the wing, elevator, rudder, and landing gear. Pictures soon to follow. Who has a plane they are going to put in it? The release mechanism is going to be just a servo holding on to a zip tie, so when we meet up in the build tent I'll hand out some zip ties and explain.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
I am painting the plane with some blue and yellow stripes and designs, today I found out that I have the rest of the week off of work so I might be able to do a maiden tomorrow during twilight hours if the weather cooperates! I'll record the flight and send pictures as well.

JGplanes

Sounds like it's coming along. Tomorrow's weather looks great around here. If you want any help with the maiden, let me know. I might be able to swing by. I'm using most the day tomorrow to prep for FF anyway.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Sounds like it's coming along. Tomorrow's weather looks great around here. If you want any help with the maiden, let me know. I might be able to swing by. I'm using most the day tomorrow to prep for FF anyway.
Thanks for the offer but I think I'll have everything squared away! Hope to see you guys at FFO, I'll post a video of the maiden tomorrow night.

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I am painting the plane with some blue and yellow stripes and designs, today I found out that I have the rest of the week off of work so I might be able to do a maiden tomorrow during twilight hours if the weather cooperates! I'll record the flight and send pictures as well.
Can't wait to see the cargo plane in person. I've decided to also bring along my twin sparrow because it is also compatible with the quick release in the likely event that my larger sparrow suffers a hull loss and ends up looking like the knight from Monty Python. I should be able to make it to the pilots meeting if not, where should we all meet up? This will be my first FF so would we need to have a predetermined meeting time or is it small enough for everyone to just run into each other? Good luck and see you there!
1562783195833.png
1562783223021.png

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Can't wait to see the cargo plane in person. I've decided to also bring along my twin sparrow because it is also compatible with the quick release in the likely event that my larger sparrow suffers a hull loss and ends up looking like the knight from Monty Python. I should be able to make it to the pilots meeting if not, where should we all meet up? This will be my first FF so would we need to have a predetermined meeting time or is it small enough for everyone to just run into each other? Good luck and see you there!
View attachment 135813 View attachment 135814
Multiple things to cover, firstly that plane looks awesome and will definitely work! Secondly, I have not done a maiden yet because I cannot assemble the plane until i am there, the tail is too big to fit in an rc when assembled. Thirdly, the plane is big enough and the tents are small enough for us to just bump into each other. Once I find a spot tomorrow morning I'll post where at. The plane will have almost a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio so it should fly.....should.

JGplanes

Should probably meet up
Multiple things to cover, firstly that plane looks awesome and will definitely work! Secondly, I have not done a maiden yet because I cannot assemble the plane until i am there, the tail is too big to fit in an rc when assembled. Thirdly, the plane is big enough and the tents are small enough for us to just bump into each other. Once I find a spot tomorrow morning I'll post where at. The plane will have almost a 1:1 thrust to weight ratio so it should fly.....should.

Can you post a picture of it, so we know what to look for?

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Question for you guys, it’s going to rain tonight which means almost everything in the build tent is going to absorb some moisture. The plane takes about half an hour to assemble, I’m thinking about waiting to do it until tomorrow so the wings don’t get soggy overnight, I didn’t use the waterproof foam board. Would you guys be good with this or should I build it today and see what happens?

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Question for you guys, it’s going to rain tonight which means almost everything in the build tent is going to absorb some moisture. The plane takes about half an hour to assemble, I’m thinking about waiting to do it until tomorrow so the wings don’t get soggy overnight, I didn’t use the waterproof foam board. Would you guys be good with this or should I build it today and see what happens?
Wait till tomorrow, trimed my combat plane today. What build tent will you be in and see yiu tommorrow

BS projects inc.

Elite member
For those unaware, the plane is dead lol, the maiden went well and during a combat an a-10 took off the rudder sending spiraling down to the earth, it was epic

JGplanes

For those unaware, the plane is dead lol, the maiden went well and during a combat an a-10 took off the rudder sending spiraling down to the earth, it was epic

Was that the 5:30 combat last night? I think I have video of it... maybe. Not great video, since my younger son was recording on a phone, but video none the less. My older boy was one of the last ones out there, and ran his little black diamond straight into the ground at full power.