Flite Fest Ohio 2019 Volunteers

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I would volunteer for the flight line as well, but the times I did I found out I'm not much of an authority figure...
Also the heat had my at my limit a few times last year, so I volunteered for shade positions this year.

Nothing wrong with the build tent ;)

Corbarrad

Waiting to board at FRA. I'm stoked!
...aaand now I'm stuck at EWR bacause of the weather.... everything was going so well...

Last edited:

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Just filled out an application to be a volunteer, I know it’s a bit last minute but I’d love to help out this year! I’ve introduced my younger cousins into the hobby so I have a bit of experience being a mentor, hope I can play a role this year!

Fidget

Just filled out an application to be a volunteer, I know it’s a bit last minute but I’d love to help out this year! I’ve introduced my younger cousins into the hobby so I have a bit of experience being a mentor, hope I can play a role this year!

Even if you don't hear back from Andre before you get to Flite Fest, just go to the volunteer tent when you get there. There's almost always someone there who can sign you up on the spot!

Corbarrad

BEHOLD! I am amongst you!
*sigh*
Leave it to united to make it feel like a heroic feat just to arrive somewhere...

I'm sitting in Days Inn Carrollton waiting for my luggge to arrive (because why wouldn't you misplace the Suitcase of the guy you just aggravated by keeping him waiting outside the terminal for 12 hours with no amenities, no food or drink and no apologies because "they're not gonna let you in again before midnight, because your flight is not until tomorrow."), just thinking about what to do next.. Walmart, I guess for some fresh clothing and maybe some equipment. Better find out if I'm gonna need it first. Wonder if I can declare my uncles hand-me-down pants as a "family heirloom" if my suitcase doesn't show up at all...

I need to stop ranting, for the sake of my blood pressure if nothing else...

Fidget

@Corbarrad Welcome to Ohio!
If you have a Dollar Tree and a Walmart, you should be all set! The Ace Hardware there also has a very limited selection of metric hardware if you need some. (Needed some M3 nuts during FF2015.)

kilroy07

Legendary member
Leave it to united to make it feel like a heroic feat just to arrive somewhere...

I'm sitting in Days Inn Carrollton waiting for my luggge to arrive
I travel quite a bit for business, United seems to really be having issues lately...

If your luggage is delayed overnight, I know (from personnal experience) they will refund you basic necessaries and a change of clothes.
I think my bill came to something like $130 (so go out and get a snazzy new outfit!) :LOL:
The details are on united's website (you'll need the tracking number.)

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
BEHOLD! I am amongst you!
*sigh*

I'm sitting in Days Inn Carrollton waiting for my luggge to arrive

Hopefully, you received emails before you even knew it was missing. In that case, I would expect 24 hours or less delay. Good luck and welcome!

Corbarrad

Hopefully, you received emails before you even knew it was missing. In that case, I would expect 24 hours or less delay. Good luck and welcome!

Nah. They didn't even know it was missing until I showed up at the Pittsburgh baggage claim. united aren't really earning a gold star rating here... Not that any employees I interacted with were at fault so I really tried not to vent at them like other people I saw that night did. Those employees, who stayed behind past the end of their shift when united failed to send any relief personell at midnight deserved far better than they got from some of the passengers.

I did blow up at the Lady from Lufthansa though, who went straight to "we're not liable paying for anything" mode when I called the helpline in the hopes for a hotel recommendation or really any recourse to staying the night OUTSIDE the terminal gate area...

I finally got my suitcase last night. what I bought on my way into Carrollton helped tide me over until now. Now that Ihave fresh clothes that actually fit I... crashed and burned and woke up at 2PM... But I'm awake now and ready to rock. Negativity be damned, I'm gonna have FUN!

I travel quite a bit for business, United seems to really be having issues lately...
No sh##,really? What makes you think that? Such a perfectly meshing clockwork of F## unfortunate events is a sight to behold in itself. They should charge money for that. Oh wait, they already did...
If your luggage is delayed overnight, I know (from personnal experience) they will refund you basic necessaries and a change of clothes.
I think my bill came to something like $130 (so go out and get a snazzy new outfit!) :LOL:
The details are on united's website (you'll need the tracking number.)
I saved my receipts from day one and day two, so hopefully I'll be able to get at least something out of it.
Thans for the heads up

Last edited:

BS projects inc.

Elite member
If I don't here from Andre and I go to the volunteer tent will I still be an official volunteer with the perks that come with it? I'm asking because I'm in the process of getting event tickets.

Corbarrad

If I don't here from Andre and I go to the volunteer tent will I still be an official volunteer with the perks that come with it? I'm asking because I'm in the process of getting event tickets.
Pretty sure signups are possible once you are on site.
You will have to buy tickets regardless of whether you're a volunteer or not, though

BS projects inc.

Elite member
Thought one of the perks was that I didn't have to buy tickets? Not trying to be stingy I just don't want to buy a ticket and not use it.

Fidget

Thought one of the perks was that I didn't have to buy tickets? Not trying to be stingy I just don't want to buy a ticket and not use it.
No. Still have to buy a ticket. You definitely get a tshirt. Beyond that there are usually other things but they vary year to year. Definitely go to the volunteer meetings; that's where those are usually announced.

BS projects inc.

Elite member
No. Still have to buy a ticket. You definitely get a tshirt. Beyond that there are usually other things but they vary year to year. Definitely go to the volunteer meetings; that's where those are usually announced.
Okay cool, I got my ticket this morning so that works out. Thanks

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
Anyone else wish Flite Fest was long? (My feet don't)
Hard to believe it has been over almost a week now.

As I've said time and time again, the volunteers make Flite Fest work.
Every year we make some small changes which seem to help the event run a little better but the goal is always the same. Improve, without losing that special/unique feeling which is Flite Fest.

Without your hard work and dedication none of that would matter.
So from me to you, thank you.
Thank you for never giving up
Thank you for putting in the extra effort.
Thank you for remaining positive.

We all have our own reasons to attend Flite Fest. Family, friendships and
of course flying but the fact you are willing to help out means the world to me.
I never have to explain what Flite Fest/Flite Test means to a volunteer. You get it.

In keeping with the constant but important goal of improving and learning.
I would love to hear your feedback on how things were run this year.

One of my goals is to build what I'm calling the "Play Book."
The objective is simple and will provide Flite Test with a manual to will help us on setup and operations.
Please take a few minutes and consider sending me an email with any ideas and suggestions.

Thank you for everything you did this year a a volunteer.
You made my week a huge personal success and I look forward to working along side each and everyone of you in 2020.

Andre.

Andre Rousseau - andre@flitetest.com
Flite Fest 2019 Volunteer Coordinator
https://www.flitefest.com/volunteers

image1.jpg
IMG_9154.jpg
IMG_9252.jpg
IMG_9264.jpg

epsilon

I had an absolute blast helping out. I doubt I'll ever attend another flite fest without volunteering. Meeting everyone, helping out in the build tents the tiny little bit I did since I wasn't on that crew but people see that orange and aren't afraid to ask... was freaking awesome. Hats off to a well run team Andre. Kicking back Sunday night and throwing the goggles on was great fun. Been a while since I've had them out. Look forward to next year!

Andre

Fly yes... land no.
Admin
I had an absolute blast helping out. I doubt I'll ever attend another flite fest without volunteering. Meeting everyone, helping out in the build tents the tiny little bit I did since I wasn't on that crew but people see that orange and aren't afraid to ask... was freaking awesome. Hats off to a well run team Andre. Kicking back Sunday night and throwing the goggles on was great fun. Been a while since I've had them out. Look forward to next year!

That is the kinda of post that makes my day.

Thank you.

Andre.