Flite Fest Packing List (Q/A)

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
I haven't tent camped for a while, so I was prebuilding a check list of what I needed and figured it might be useful for others and useful for me to have a few extra set of eyes look for things that might be missing.

• Sleeping
    • Tent
    • Cot / Air mattress
    • Bedding (blankets, pillows, sleeping bags)
  • Nutrition
    • Food (inc cooking oil, spices)
    • Food Storage (cooler, ice)
    • water (lots - ~gallon/per/day)
    • Cooking Equipment ( grill, pan, pot)
    • Eating Equipment (plates, silverware)
    • cooking utensils (knife, spoon, cutting board)
    • clean up (wash bins, dish soap, scrub pad)
  • Misc
    • Table
    • Chair
    • Tarp
    • Clothes line
    • Flash lights
    • Paper towel
    • fire source (matches/lighter)
    • Shade option (no natural shade on site)
  • Self-care
    • clothing (inc extra day and multiple weather)
    • sunblock
    • First Aid kit
    • Showering (Towels, shampoo, body wash)
    • Bathroom supplies (toothbrush, toothpaste, contacts storage, hand soap, etc)
    • Spare Glasses
  • Event
    • Stuff to fly (planes, quads, etc, TXes, FPV googles)
    • Batteries
    • Chargers (lipo, cell phone, etc)
    • Laptop (make sure any software is loaded and working before leaving)
    • Foamboard
    • Tools (straight edge, hobby knifes, hot glue gun, hot glue, tape, pen, pencil)
    • Electronics/misc supplies (motors, ESCs, servos, servo extensions, push rods, firewalls, etc)
    • [sort of optional - power in build tents] Generator/other power source
    • [if fire desired] off ground fire 'pit'

Last edited:

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
I haven't tent camped for a while, so I was prebuilding a check list of what I needed and figured it might be useful for others and useful for me to have a few extra set of eyes look for things that might be missing.

• Sleeping
    • Tent
    • Cot / Air mattress
    • Bedding (blankets, pillows, sleeping bags)
  • Nutrition
    • Food (inc cooking oil, spices)
    • Food Storage (cooler, ice)
    • water (lots)
    • Cooking Equipment ( grill, pan, pot)
    • Eating Equipment (plates, silverware)
    • cooking utensils (knife, spoon, cutting board)
    • clean up (wash bins, dish soap, scrub pad)
  • Misc
    • Table
    • Chair
    • Tarp
    • Clothes line
    • Flash lights
    • Paper towel
  • Self-care
    • clothing (inc extra day and multiple weather)
    • sunblock
    • First Aid kit
    • Towels
    • Bathroom supplies (toothbrush, toothpaste, contacts storage, hand soap, etc)
    • Spare Glasses
  • Event
    • Stuff to fly (planes, quads, etc, TXes, FPV googles)
    • Batteries
    • Chargers (lipo, cell phone, etc)
    • Laptop (make sure any software is loaded and working before leaving)
    • Foamboard
    • Tools (straight edge, hobby knifes, hot glue gun, hot glue, tape, pen, pencil)
    • Electronics/misc supplies (motors, ESCs, servos, servo extensions, push rods, firewalls, etc)
Gotta question, is there absolutely no way to find a hotel?

FlamingRCAirplanes

Elite member
there is, I just wanted to be on site.

Also, not sure what 'is there a hotel?' has to do with figuring out a tenting packing list for being on site.
Well if I come I am not sure I will be able to camp, so I was asking if there was any hotels nearby, sorry about that!

tamuct01

A couple of things for your list:
* Easy-Up or other shade. There is no natural shade in the parking/camping area.
* No ground fires are (were) allowed, but above-ground fire pits were ok in the past
* you mentioned water and to bring lots. YES YES. Also bring lots of extra ice.
* generators are allowed for charging and the like. Some folks use solar and car batteries. Both are acceptable.

JasonK

A couple of things for your list:
* Easy-Up or other shade. There is no natural shade in the parking/camping area.
* No ground fires are (were) allowed, but above-ground fire pits were ok in the past
* you mentioned water and to bring lots. YES YES. Also bring lots of extra ice.
* generators are allowed for charging and the like. Some folks use solar and car batteries. Both are acceptable.

good points, I didn't plan on a fire and was figuring a min of 1 gal/person/day of water on hand.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
As a semi-avid camper myself my biggest suggestion is a good pillow. Even backpacking, when weight and space are critical, a real pillow is always a must for me. Decent cot/mattress is second. Doesnt have to be expensive, just has to be better than the glorified pool float type stuff.

Nothing ruins camping more than a restless night or two.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Also, not sure your building style, but i always cary a soldering iron in my travel tool kit, even if im not flying! No need to carry cutters, strippers, crimpers and an assortment of butt connectors. A pocket knife, electric tape, and a soldering iron and i can repair most anything.

JasonK

As a semi-avid camper myself my biggest suggestion is a good pillow. Even backpacking, when weight and space are critical, a real pillow is always a must for me. Decent cot/mattress is second. Doesnt have to be expensive, just has to be better than the glorified pool float type stuff.

Nothing ruins camping more than a restless night or two.

oh... I plan on bringing both my body pillow and my normal pillow

Also, not sure your building style, but i always cary a soldering iron in my travel tool kit, even if im not flying! No need to carry cutters, strippers, crimpers and an assortment of butt connectors. A pocket knife, electric tape, and a soldering iron and i can repair most anything.

Yah, I didn't fully itemized out building tools, I will go over my bench and throw everything I regularly use into a toolbox (last year I brought basically everything and likely will again this year).

Hondo76251

Legendary member
Id be curious to see peoples charging setups.

Havent been myself, and i dont fly at a field with others, but I do fly a lot out in the boonies and I have a full 4 battery 12v deep cycle marine battery bank most of the time.

JasonK

Havent been myself, and i dont fly at a field with others, but I do fly a lot out in the boonies and I have a full 4 battery 12v deep cycle marine battery bank most of the time.
I am debating between the following:
  • purchasing a generator ($$ - don't know that I will have much use for it otherwise... so that is $$ for possibly a single trip)
  • using the inverter in my car ("free", but can only run 1 dual port charger - it is only rated for 150-175 watts)
  • going to the build tend and finding power there (got to be an issue to find space/open plug there last year)
I would love to see a 'low cost' option that isn't one of the above (that deep cycle battery thing might be an option for a day flying, but I don't think would work for the duration of FF)

tamuct01

Last year, we shared with our neighbor a bit. He had a deep cycle marine battery and I had a generator. We charged everything off the battery until it was near dead, then we'd fire up the generator to charge it (and everything else) back up and run anything else (soldering irons, etc.) that had a high draw. I've seen folks bring portable solar panels in place of the generator to charge up the large battery.

Also, bring a fan (or 2) for your tent to stay cool. The nights can be cooler, but it was pretty hot last year.

JasonK

Last year, we shared with our neighbor a bit. He had a deep cycle marine battery and I had a generator. We charged everything off the battery until it was near dead, then we'd fire up the generator to charge it (and everything else) back up and run anything else (soldering irons, etc.) that had a high draw. I've seen folks bring portable solar panels in place of the generator to charge up the large battery.

Also, bring a fan (or 2) for your tent to stay cool. The nights can be cooler, but it was pretty hot last year.
fan doesn't do me any good unless I have power, but good point.

The Deep cycle marine battery is what I was thinking as a solution for day trips, but I didn't think it would work for this (and if I got something for this, I wouldn't then need that...)

Hondo76251

Legendary member
So my setup is 3 pretty good 550 cca's (plus the van's battery, but its only connected when its running) and that has no problem charging batteries all day with very little voltage drop.
20220509_173954.jpg
I don't have any modern fancy way of keeping track of exactly how many mAh it's capable of but I'd sure think that a good deep cycle battery and a set of jumper cables so you can just charge it with your car would be a pretty easy way to go. I'm all for a good generator too but its sure nice to be able to charge without having to run one.

Hondo76251

Legendary member
that same battery bank also runs several fans, monitors, inverter, lights ect in the van, so if I was JUST charging batteries i'm sure it would last a very long time...
20220509_174018.jpg