Flite Fest Registration questions

Hi everyone, last year I had this same question but I can't remember the answer. When registering for Flite Fest do I need to buy both a camping space and a pilot registration if I plan on camping or do I just grab the full camping pass?

Also lets try and kinda make this a registration Question and Answer thread if there is not one already.

Thanks!

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
If you want to fly, you need to register as pilot.

If you want to camp, you need to have a camping space.

If you want both, you need both. ;)

tamuct01

This will be my first Flite Fest, and I'm wondering if for the Tent/RV camping is that fee per person, or per tent/RV?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Spectator/pilot registration is per person.

Tent/RV registration is per site.

The sites themselves are fairly decent size for events, and most people can fit a car, tent, and EZup or a small RV and an ezup.

They got hit by the fire marshal last year about packing them in too tight (and at that, the elbow room was still liveable) and had to re-adjust the lines. Not sure what the spacing is this year.

JimCR120

Got Lobstah?
Site Moderator
That's all good to know. I had the same questions. I would recommend including those on the site, perhaps in their FAQ section.

RioWilson

I had a similar question about Tent vs. RV sites for FF East 2017. I travel with a VW Jetta and a small Teardrop trailer (5'x9') - admittedly not a "tent" so do I need to reserve an actual RV site or can I get by with a tent site? Thanks!

tamuct01

A few more questions re: FF East 2017 before I pull the trigger on registration:

1) What kind of rest room facilities will be available? showers? port-o-potties?
2) Will generators be allowed in the tent camping area?
3) Are the tent sites provided with electricity and/or water?
4) We are planning to bring a Suburban and an enclosed trailer (4'x8' or smaller) Will those fit or be allowed in the tent camping area?
5) Is cooking limited to camping stoves, or will campfires be allowed?

Thanks everyone for your hard work on FF 2017. My dad and I are looking forward to the trip!

RioWilson

A few more questions re: FF East 2017 before I pull the trigger on registration:

1) What kind of rest room facilities will be available? showers? port-o-potties?
4) We are planning to bring a Suburban and an enclosed trailer (4'x8' or smaller) Will those fit or be allowed in the tent camping area?

Thanks everyone for your hard work on FF 2017. My dad and I are looking forward to the trip!

These are all great questions that I have as well!

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor

1: Portapotties and showers have been available in the past 3 years
2: Yes, I believe there are times for this... 6am-10pm?
3: NO.
4: Yes, there has been ample room for any camping/RV configuration that has shown up.
5: Mr Furey has been very kind to allow open fires but they are to be contained in a raised pit or barrel so as to not scorch the grass. The one exception has been the community bonfire. Though, it is probably a bit large to do cooking on.

kacknor

Build another!
Campsites in 2016 were large enough for all of this. If they are going to be bigger this year I can bring more stuff! LOL

20160714_183224.jpg 20160714_183235.jpg 20160714_183244.jpg 20160714_183212.jpg

JD

willsonman

Builder Extraordinare
Mentor
Good photos give us FF newbs more ideas of what to bring. Thanks.

Most important: Bring EQUIPMENT for both wet AND dry weather. While this past year was quite hot there was a torrential downpour. The year previous... Mudfest 2015. Buy a pair of rubber boots and some sort of rain jacket and bring them just in case. Tent stakes: make sure they are good ones. We have seen many tents get blown away. The usual camping gear should otherwise be sufficient.

kacknor

Build another!
I know I need a new tent for 2017.

That storm on Monday was NASTY.

Monday after or before? I missed both, but last year's Wednesday night storm with the 30 or 40 mph wind was memorable enough. I was out helping pick up the remains of all the Walmart grade canopies that didn't survive. We were just missed by a storm during the day too, but I don't recall which one.

Whatever you bring to camp, be sure you can tie it down, button it up or lower it enough so it will be there when it's over!

JD

P.S. - Dry camping. No water, no power save what you bring or go off-site to buy after you arrive. No hoses no spigots. I shared water the first day with a few that didn't realise it. ;)

All good questions, I signed up as a pilot and my wife as a spectator. Is there an "upgrade" option for her to also pilot if by the time the event comes around I have her flying(more)?

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Flash,

Welcome to the forum, and congrats on joining us :)

Just talk to the people when you sign in. They should be able to change it over when you check in.

Josef

I have a question, can I use my ama park pilot license or do I need a full membership? I really need to know so that I can renew. I would rather stay with the park pilot program though.

Craftydan

Hostage Taker of Quads
Staff member
Mentor
Josef,

The pilot restrictions still apply, but Park Pilot memberships work at all "Non-Rule-Book" sanctioned AMA events (formal contests). So long as the event isn't a contest (FTFF isn't), you're good to go :)

Josef

Alright thanks! Basically all of my models are under the 2lb limit, I used to have a standard membership but I really don't fly at clubs so it wasn't necessary for me. It looks like I'll be good at flitefest though!