Flite Fest Veterans Airshow

Are you going to participate?

• I might buy a plane at the auction.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think this is a completely terrible idea.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Some people have offered to ship planes but it seems to expensive, it’s more of an event only thing unfortunately :confused:

I hope to get a lot of people at the event itself.

FoamyDM

Building Fool-Flying Noob
I think I've already over-extended myself but I will put in;
If the LPL Flies and I haven't destroyed it, I will auction the LPL Flying Submarine. (I hope by that time I will have a Fully submersible working model) Does that count?
If not I will figure something out...

What do you think about a number of Chuck glider spitfires made and painted by scouts for this purpose? I will hand deliver the glider entries.

Last edited:

Crazy Goats

Hey, I like this idea a lot. Sadly, I wont be able to make it to Flite Fest anywhere but I wish best of luck to you FoamTest in running this, and to everyone involved.

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
I think I've already over-extended myself but I will put in;
If the LPL Flies and I haven't destroyed it, I will auction the LPL Flying Submarine. (I hope by that time I will have a Fully submersible working model) Does that count?
If not I will figure something out...

What do you think about a number of Chuck glider spitfires made and painted by scouts for this purpose? I will the glider entries there.
I am assuming that this is an official entry so I hope you can get the flying sub in, and the painted spits are a great idea!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Kilroy07 - FT Mustang FFAS'18
Because I can't believe no-one has called the mustang yet! LOL
(I only hope I can finish her half as nice as the example!)

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Kilroy07 - FT Mustang FFAS'18
Because I can't believe no-one has called the mustang yet! LOL
(I only hope I can finish her half as nice as the example!)

Awesomer I was going to build a mustang but I already have some lol so I figured I’d do something different this time. We’re glad to have you with with us and glad to have another entry!

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
UPDATE: I am not sure if I mentioned this earlier but we need some people to build and skin some F-18’s. Namactual is putting in a lot of work into making some awesome skins for these designs and I would like to see them all flying. I changed my official entry to an F-18 to help get atleast four in the air, plus it looks a lot better than the Ft F-22 (no offense ft). If you guys want to check out the behind the scenes and development of the skins here. Thanks again to namactual and all the other participants for helping this cause!

kilroy07

Legendary member
Well, I've got a few Mustangs to build... (figured I would need to build a couple before I do the one for the event, thinking Miss America Livery) That said, I have a laser cutter so, once I have the CAD/cut file I could crank out one or two in no time if it gets down to the wire and you need a backup.

Just reviewed the build, it's not out of my ability I think, but it is a complicated build (or should I say challenging?) LOL Let me know by Mid June if you want/need me to step in and help, I'd be happy to lend a hand. Next two weeks will be "All about the Mustang!"

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
If it’s not too much of a hassle could you make a kit or two of the F-18? I bet more people would be willing to join at the event itself if they can use a already cut out plane. Now that I think about it I bet we all could chip in to buy some of the foam required to make other plane kits too. Maybe a good idea to get more of the community involved that can’t go?

kilroy07

Legendary member
Sure, I can bring a couple to build on site. I'll work on translating the plans into cut files next week.

Namactual

Elite member
I am in the process of updating the plans with the changes I made during the test builds. At the same time I am converting them to .svg format. I will have this done this weekend for sure. Maybe even tonight. I would hold off on making one until then. Nothing air frame wise has really changed, just quality of life changes. So don't worry if you have already started one.

Not only will they be cleaner, but the changes should make it easier to build. They might be easier to convert to .gcode or what other file format you might use.

kilroy07

Legendary member
Very cool. If whatever program you are using ports out to a DXF that would be the best. I'll pull them into MicroStation (CAD program) and arrange the pieces then change colors to set the laser's power/speed settings. Thanks! Are you going to Ohio Namactual? If so I'll make sure to have a couple cut out for you as well.

Also (and maybe I shouldn't say anything until I make sure I can get it plotting) but I have come into the possession of a 24" plotter... So, if I get it going I can provide single sheet skins as well.
At "Some Point" I'll have it synced with the laser so I can skin a full sheet of foam-board then cut out the pieces (but that will have to wait until Next year!)

SVG will work fine, so don't do any extra work for me!

Namactual

Elite member
I am using Inkscape and I am a total noob with this program. It took me 4 hours to do my first sheet as I was spending more time learning the program than drawing. I am on my final sheet and things are going real quick now.

It looks like I can export as DXF, but there are some options here and I am not sure what you do or don't need. As far as the format goes, would you want single layer with different color lines for score and cut, or different layers as well. Right now each type of line is on it's own layer and has its own color. I could collapse layers with the click of a button though so whatever is easier for you. When done I will zip both of the .svg and .dxf in the same file.

They are soooo small. All of them will come in under a single megabyte. My .png rasters are 500mb a page @300dpi!

I do love my rasters though. I never could have done those skins using vectors, but I am using vectors for my blueprints from here on out. I just wish they had a native MacOS build. It would make life easier.

Is it a true plotter, or a wide format printer? I am not sure the skins would translate to a plotter. Granted I have not used one in probably 20 years back in my AutoCAD days.

As far as the print and cut in the same pass, that is like the holy grail. I have actually been in contact with a few sign companies trying to work something out. I am currently researching into double sided prints directly onto foamboard rather than mess with the adhesive nonsense.

I am sure going to try to make it to FFE this year. It all depends on work though. And unfortunately I will not know until the last minute. :( If you do cut some extra prints, I would say auction them off for the cause. I am not sure what people would pay for a pre cut kit, but every penny counts. Just make sure we get one built first to weed out any errors. ;)

Thanks for doing this by the way. (y)

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
Thanks to both of you for greatly helping with this! It so exciting seeing other members of the community getting together for this cause. All we need now is more people to participate...

kilroy07

Legendary member
"True Plotter"... :confused: It's a HP Designjet 500ps (so if you are asking if it's a pen plotter, no...) I guess you "could" classify it as a wide format printer...
(And if ANYONE has a clue as to how to get it to talk to a windows 10 machine, I'm all ears!)
I am NOT looking forward to cutting and pasting all the sheets together like you did today! LOL

It won't be a single pass, but I'll build a template for printing the skins as a sheet then glue it to a full sheet of foamboard then set up a jig on the laser.
I'm also testing whether it makes sense to minwax before cutting (just haven't gotten the nerve to see just how flammable (inflamable??) MinWac treated foamboard really is...) LOL

Hopefully within a month I'll have this figured out and maybe (no promises) will have a couple skins to share too (with both of you.)

As always will keep you posted.

Namactual

Elite member
(And if ANYONE has a clue as to how to get it to talk to a windows 10 machine, I'm all ears!)
From a thread on the HP forums...
"After many attempts to get my DesignJet 500 to work with Windows 10 I finally got it done. I tried something that another user recommended, I used a USB to 36 pin printer cable.

I had installed the Driver for the Designjet500ps 42 before in one of my failed trys to make the plotter work. So when I plugged the plotter to my computer using the 36 pin printer cable and try to printer the test page it work and now im able to use it.

Hope this can help you."

foamtest

Toothpick glider kid
"True Plotter"... :confused: It's a HP Designjet 500ps (so if you are asking if it's a pen plotter, no...) I guess you "could" classify it as a wide format printer...
I am NOT looking forward to cutting and pasting all the sheets together like you did today! LOL

It won't be a single pass, but I'll build a template for printing the skins as a sheet then glue it to a full sheet of foamboard then set up a jig on the laser.
I'm also testing whether it makes sense to minwax before cutting (just haven't gotten the nerve to see just how flammable (inflamable??) MinWac treated foamboard really is...) LOL

Hopefully within a month I'll have this figured out and maybe (no promises) will have a couple skins to share too (with both of you.)

As always will keep you posted.
I really think that a plane with a skin printed on it would sell really well at the auction at FFOH. If you can I would definitely make a bunch of them to sell, I can send a few bucks your way to cover some supplies if you can make some for the event. If you have the capacity to make a lot of them I could find a way to get more of the community involved with helping the funding of printed kits for the auction.

Navydiver71

Im a retired Veteran and I think this is a wonderful honor. Im in, I just have NO idea what to build. Maybe the F-18, but in retro WWII pint scheme....

Attachments

• 11_22D.jpg
    11_22D.jpg
    448.8 KB · Views: 0
  • 5677874561_db2e59ea4e_b.jpg
    5677874561_db2e59ea4e_b.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited: