Flite fest west

Flite Fest West?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I say we do it at around the same time of year, and same place as the baylands park meetup was. that worked out well with about 200 people in attendance, and there was still lots of room for more.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Baylands wouldn't be big enough for a FF. There isn't enough room for more than maybe 2 flight lines.

thenated0g

Drinker of coffee, Maker of things
Mentor
Sounds like maybe it will be around there Ontario ama expo trip in january. They havent said a specific location, but it would make sense if it was down in the LA area as they are going to be there with all there stuff anyways.

coppercanyon

TheNateDog..You are right on them planning it around the AMA Expo.. There are some fields near there that could probably accomodate FF West.. I noticed your location is at Upper Lake Ca.,, is that near Ukiah?

thenated0g

Mentor
TheNateDog..You are right on them planning it around the AMA Expo.. There are some fields near there that could probably accomodate FF West.. I noticed your location is at Upper Lake Ca.,, is that near Ukiah?

Cant wait. Already working on a large version of the guinea pig for flitefest west.
Yep, about 20 min drive. You live nearby?

coppercanyon

Natedog, Im actually in so. cal but my daughter lives in Ft. Bragg...I have seen Upper Lake on the map and was curious as to how the boating is there. Big enough for water sports?

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
I'm not sure that the folks here know how much time, effort and money go into planning for a festival of that caliber. It's an unbelievable amount of work. If they were to do 4 a year (North, South East and West), You could likely say goodbye to weekly content, podcasts, new plane designs etc. All of their effort and then some would have to go into planning. Heck, I bet they are already planning for FliteFest 2016.

Look in your area for RC flight events... Here in MN there are some available, one of them is pretty large (WATTS over Owatonna). Not FliteFest large, but certianly a crowded camping weekend long event.

If one doesn't exist in your community, talk to the local RC clubs and get one orgainzed. If you don't have a local RC club, start one.

thenated0g

Mentor
I'm not sure that the folks here know how much time, effort and money go into planning for a festival of that caliber. It's an unbelievable amount of work. If they were to do 4 a year (North, South East and West), You could likely say goodbye to weekly content, podcasts, new plane designs etc. All of their effort and then some would have to go into planning. Heck, I bet they are already planning for FliteFest 2016.

Look in your area for RC flight events... Here in MN there are some available, one of them is pretty large (WATTS over Owatonna). Not FliteFest large, but certianly a crowded camping weekend long event.

If one doesn't exist in your community, talk to the local RC clubs and get one orgainzed. If you don't have a local RC club, start one.

Im not sure if you listen to the podcasts or not but this is what they are planning. They are setting up a west. And they want to do more in united states, expand to canada etc.

Stradawhovious

"That guy"
Im not sure if you listen to the podcasts or not but this is what they are planning. They are setting up a west. And they want to do more in united states, expand to canada etc.

Then good on 'em. They have their work cut out for sure! Not sure why it took until page 4 for this little nugget of info to surface. :lol:

samuraiflyingfox

Baylands wouldn't be big enough for a FF. There isn't enough room for more than maybe 2 flight lines.

Yeah, Baylands is no where big enough to be able to do a FF. Even if they rented out the entire park there wouldn't be enough area for flight lines (plus way too many trees).

However, if we go a mile or two to the West maybe we can get a portion of Moffett Field? I've heard that they do model rocketry there on some weekends and there's more than plenty of space there for flight lines, dealer booths, and build areas. And since NASA is there they might be interested in co-promoting the event. Maybe?

I have a friend who works at Moffett who can probably get more info on doing an event out there. Hopefully there's a possibility of it being a good location.

moebeast

Today Josh said they were looking at Las Vegas as a possibility. The tentative date is the week after the AMA Expo in January.

nerdnic

nerdnic.com
Mentor
Vegas? Bah. That's out of my road trip range and I'm not gonna be able to fly down. Bummer.

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Vegas isn't that bad of a drive for me, easier than the San Francisco area at least :D And after 15 years of living here I'm still looking for an excuse to go to Vegas...also have some aviation friends up there. I'm liking the sounds of Vegas ;)

vickj55

I think it would be wonderful to have a Flite Fest West but it is obvious it would be a large amount of work for you guys. My thought is if we could get a group interested in doing something similar here in the west. Maybe you guys could supply guidance on what works and what does not work and what is needed. Now is not a good time for flying it's too hot. May or April would be good here in the desert. What I like about your Flite Fest is the Family aspect and the idea is to just have fun. I think I may bring it up with the group I joined Phoenix Area Drone Users Group.

I wish I could go this year but it's just not possible. Hopefully Next year.

Regards,

Victor