Flite Fest West?

Captain Jay

Elite member
Well, for those that were in the Southern Arizona Modelers, I'm sure it was.

Was being the operative word. According the SAM website, they had their final farewell fly-in at the site on February 24th. They are now in the process of trying to find a new place for their club to fly.

I fly with Southern Arizona Gliders and Electrics, out of the SAGE field in Marana. Our runway is scraped dirt. Mind you, I'm not complaining. The trade-off is, it keeps club expenses much lower than maintaining a paved runway.
That's a bummer!! To loose a great field like that hurts. I fly at Burnaby Lake Flyers "Hoods Up" in BC. We have a grass field and it's hard on gear when it grows. But we are allowed to mow in a very low cut 40 x 120 foot runway. It works and it's work...

OliverW

Legendary member
That's a bummer!! To loose a great field like that hurts. I fly at Burnaby Lake Flyers "Hoods Up" in BC. We have a grass field and it's hard on gear when it grows. But we are allowed to mow in a very low cut 40 x 120 foot runway. It works and it's work...
I fly out of Carl Henson Field in Eugene Oregon. We have a 600ft grass runway, and it is a major pain to keep in good condition!

OliverW

Legendary member
If FT was interested, we could probably host a FF at out field. We would have to use a lot of the farmers field behind it for camping/parking though

Hoomi

Master member
Two of the biggest issues we have with our dirt runway are burrowing rodents deciding to dig their holes in the middle, and the occasional buttheads on ATVs that decide our runway needs donuts dug into it. (Disclaimer: This is not to suggest that everyone who rides an ATV is a butthead. There are many who are considerate and respectful of other folks' property.)

As far as a Flite Fest on grass runways, seems to me the FT guys have an easily transported runway that can be laid out over grass.

K3V0

Elite member
Just. Can’t. Resist.

1584730225542.gif

SailingJack

I know this is an oldish thread but what about renting a racetrack, large area plenty of good runway... and plenty of airspace, as well as parking and camping. Might be expensive although

Piotrsko

Master member
Racetracks are expen$$$ive. County park or fairgrounds out in the burbs might do it for free, same space.

Acebandit123

Im very curious as to if there is going to be a FFW would love to attend one and meet some cool people. I will be following this thread.

Liam B

I still think renting out a small private airport is the way to go. Plenty in CA if you look hard enough, but I doubt FT cares anymore about getting out west. It wouldn't make them anything.

Hoomi

Master member
I don't know that the FT crew doesn't care about a Flite Fest West any longer, or if it has been more a matter of the economic reality of having another. Face it - the fuel to transport enough stuff out to a West Coast venue would be prohibitive for most small businesses, and far too many hobbyists would be reluctant to pay a higher fee for the event, in order to cover those expenses.

That said, if the Pinal County Airport Authority were agreeable, I think the Pinal County Airpark, west of Tucson, would be an awesome place to have a Flite Fest.

Pinal Airpark "Boneyard"