Solved Flite Test AN-2 Maiden tips

Ro1en

I'm planning on having the maiden flight of my newly built master series an-2, and was wondering if anyone has any tips or knowledge on how they fly? What rates should I have, should I set expo, any bad flight characteristics, is the suggested CG good, how fast does it fly? etc.

Hope these questions aren't stupid or posted in the wrong place, thanks in advance!

danskis

Master member
I haven't built one...that said I"m 100% positive that the CG on the plans is correct. Get it balanced as close to that as possible while avoiding being tail heavy. I like 30% expo on all controls - what do you usually set yours at? For a maiden you don't need a lot of aileron - its almost better to have too little than too much unless you've got a lot of obstacles around the field (trees). Does it have the throws on the plan? Maybe 7-10 millimeters on the ailerons to start. And if possible find a place to take it off from the ground and don't hand launch it.

@Ro1en lets see a pic of the plane

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I'm planning on having the maiden flight of my newly built master series an-2, and was wondering if anyone has any tips or knowledge on how they fly? What rates should I have, should I set expo, any bad flight characteristics, is the suggested CG good, how fast does it fly? etc.

Hope these questions aren't stupid or posted in the wrong place, thanks in advance!
Message @CappyAmeric , I know he's done one.

Ro1en

I've built and flown a few FT planes and also a few pre-built, but I've never fiddled with throws and expo. Or trim for that matter. So if I'm being honest, I have no idea what my preferred expo is, I'll just follow your advice. As far as I know, the recommended throws aren't mentioned anywhere. Thanks for all the advice, I'll definitely follow it! Here's a picture:
_Myo2IQhybIBgnOmt05fj16TD5JM5nwe7j15eNCLvAuFz9aOJVDKSnRlw5iCYt40vXPTxtC_ptAjsh8MC1GbqTYY5T9gHprvVoqkjxI4e0X3-DaByernGXRYGBz8iM_HgBYKmldgge9NRakqQpQFuog_Gxsd2UPk5udNw05XC6zYYigD23Hv1Fm0rEFXMtrwLcO9jeCqtVTyOrUTMGDh7wFhiaTHJUcA4ItpLyi8FPX760dZpw1p7rG999OCFC3MxNIg4EneSsQ9gUS3ZixzxVutjQ8aI1lok3ts2cXY8sNqKFw0Br4-uQQ0KZuDk1CkknaMLf70ZICFSs49KQGVxKyBSHAfhEdDwV-jh4FF_fBsB6NaOndJBouaYiMIJdH4lO79ciz4AOYvziuiyiIpfzadFy99JFbhBAXH6ZxTaEYMACGoDyIU3av6QtYPwMeyoEa6Uy2yu35SgIzugJ_i4uDgwgKeKVFbKaWgGwIv5mxEjdTRTreQnbhjY9b0kpOA_v4WZfvcXEBcdIshjoczPpADHcxu3ayYeQ0lfegHOi93knlUsV43Ch0pAiNlpruu3iNJIiMFt00hJVIwPRuKAxGW4edU7PQbuxLSIevJGUBiDJflSklsYp5vejuTBlzk5FLKgtwtoBUu38h6Tv2cZ4hCiQQsxSsfPXN4UtUtJ-626rMOSWYp6i4n9EFCJXPsLqAZIdo2lXeSqgFUaEj7wr6DuN_afNA9mPPIl0QXkHEI0_jDgxy7TumZ3X5X=w1268-h950-no

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPYEYhM9z6O8jhBDivTy5C9ivDyETeSAbyo4A70

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
I've built and flown a few FT planes and also a few pre-built, but I've never fiddled with throws and expo. Or trim for that matter. So if I'm being honest, I have no idea what my preferred expo is, I'll just follow your advice. As far as I know, the recommended throws aren't mentioned anywhere. Thanks for all the advice, I'll definitely follow it! Here's a picture:
_Myo2IQhybIBgnOmt05fj16TD5JM5nwe7j15eNCLvAuFz9aOJVDKSnRlw5iCYt40vXPTxtC_ptAjsh8MC1GbqTYY5T9gHprvVoqkjxI4e0X3-DaByernGXRYGBz8iM_HgBYKmldgge9NRakqQpQFuog_Gxsd2UPk5udNw05XC6zYYigD23Hv1Fm0rEFXMtrwLcO9jeCqtVTyOrUTMGDh7wFhiaTHJUcA4ItpLyi8FPX760dZpw1p7rG999OCFC3MxNIg4EneSsQ9gUS3ZixzxVutjQ8aI1lok3ts2cXY8sNqKFw0Br4-uQQ0KZuDk1CkknaMLf70ZICFSs49KQGVxKyBSHAfhEdDwV-jh4FF_fBsB6NaOndJBouaYiMIJdH4lO79ciz4AOYvziuiyiIpfzadFy99JFbhBAXH6ZxTaEYMACGoDyIU3av6QtYPwMeyoEa6Uy2yu35SgIzugJ_i4uDgwgKeKVFbKaWgGwIv5mxEjdTRTreQnbhjY9b0kpOA_v4WZfvcXEBcdIshjoczPpADHcxu3ayYeQ0lfegHOi93knlUsV43Ch0pAiNlpruu3iNJIiMFt00hJVIwPRuKAxGW4edU7PQbuxLSIevJGUBiDJflSklsYp5vejuTBlzk5FLKgtwtoBUu38h6Tv2cZ4hCiQQsxSsfPXN4UtUtJ-626rMOSWYp6i4n9EFCJXPsLqAZIdo2lXeSqgFUaEj7wr6DuN_afNA9mPPIl0QXkHEI0_jDgxy7TumZ3X5X=w1268-h950-no
Beautiful, that one's on my build list. How was it to build?

Ro1en

Beautiful, that one's on my build list. How was it to build?
It was a great build, my first master series so I can't really compare it to any others, however, it was a blast building and watching it come together. I do recommend!

CappyAmeric

Elite member
Okay cool, good to hear, is there anything else I should know about its flight characteristics?
Nope. It’s pretty stable. I would not recommend it in more that 5-10 knots of wind since all the surfaces will make it bounce around a lot.

Ro1en

Nope. It’s pretty stable. I would not recommend it in more that 5-10 knots of wind since all the surfaces will make it bounce around a lot.

The Maiden flight went amazing, thanks for all your help! Also thanks to @danskis! The flight was incredibly short, I was flying in too small a field so I had to land after two circuits. Hopefully, future flights will be less stressful. I can send if video of the flight if you'd like, too.

Mr NCT

Site Moderator
The Maiden flight went amazing, thanks for all your help! Also thanks to @danskis! The flight was incredibly short, I was flying in too small a field so I had to land after two circuits. Hopefully, future flights will be less stressful. I can send if video of the flight if you'd like, too.
Yes, videos‼️

Dorin8r

Hello Guys! I have the foam and most of the electronics from Flite Test. Does anyone have the plans for the plane, please?

quorneng

Master member
Dorin8r
Now you can see the advantage of learning the techniques of "scratch building".
Takes skill and experience but you can then build anything suitable for your ability.
My AN-2 has a 1" bigger span then the FT one.
28May20.JPG

All built from these 3 views.
3-viewB.jpg FuseSections.gif

With the excess detail removed and then blown up to the required size.
Overall not a quick build but the level of detail in the end result is up to you. Mine has a scale printed ASh-62 inside the cowl, load bearing rigging, working flaps on both wings and a scale sprung undercarriage, even so I am pretty sure mine is quite a bit lighter than the FT version.

Last edited: