Flite Test at Airventure 2015?

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
This would seriously be awesome. I kinda remember Josh Bixler saying they were invited to Oshkosh this year, but couldn't make it because of flite fest. All I can do is hope ;)

Winglet

Airventure 2015

This would seriously be awesome. I kinda remember Josh Bixler saying they were invited to Oshkosh this year, but couldn't make it because of flite fest. All I can do is hope ;)

Actually, I was thinking Oshkosh would make a perfect venue for Flitefest? I'm not talking during the Airventure convention but maybe a month or two ahead of the convention. The Pioneer Airport located next to the excellent EAA museum and headquarters would be a spectacular location for Flitefest. EAA folks and Flitetest folks have a lot in common. The EAA has camping facilities galore near the field. Shower houses etc, etc. There are many hotels adjacent to the field. The EAA headquartes itself contains a huge banquet/Hangar facility that would lend itself perfectly to indoor flying. Of course super easy for full scale pilots to attend.

EAA members and Flitetest fans have a lot in common. Just like after Flight Fest, after Airventure (which attracts close to a million visitors) there isn't a single scrap of paper left on the ground. Fine folks!

Last edited:

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
I know that the Oshkosh airport where AirVenture is held is used for more than just the AirVenture event. My dad has been there for some farmer/tractor thing. It's a nice thought for Flite Fest to be held there, but I'm sure it's not practical and I'm unsure of how open the place is for holding yet another event.

But it would be a great place to hold an epic RC event. There is an RC section during AirVenture, but it feels like an afterthought.

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
As an Airventure Vet, I can safely tell you that the RC section at Oshkosh is usually nothing more than a few foamies near the KidVenture section of the event. I did see a versa wing there this year, which was cool. I was thinking more along the lines of a flite test recap video of Oshkosh when I started this thread. Oshkosh really is an amazing place for aviation, and I would encourage everyone to go, but don't expect lots of RC stuff.

ExperimentalRC

I think for 2015 Airventure there should be a bigger RC section. When I went last year couldn't even find it behind the control line flying. It was great to see the AMA had their simulator trailer, and that a local club was buddy boxing people that were interested. I thinking about bringing a bunch of planes to fly next year, but I'd like to see a bigger RC area. I appreciate that they were keeping is small so that it wouldn't interfere with full scale and the helicopter rides taking place right next to it, but i would be fine with it being a little farther from the main event, so that the RC area can be bigger. I would love to meet flitetest at airventure next year.

It would be great to see FT attend Oshkosh as spectators.

From their comments, it seems that they get a lot of requests for full scale and weird/different stuff. I feel that Oshkosh would be a great way to expose the FT community to the one of the largest full-scale events in the US.

They'd have to schedule FF2015 accordingly though. I'd actually like to attend both:)

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Flite Fest 2015, July 9 - 12
AirVenture 2015, July 20 - 26

oboingo84

FliteTest - OSHKOSH - 2015!!

One can hope! I believe the draw for a daily Flite test show and booth would be GREAT!

I know I am hoping too see them @ EAA in 2015!!

Please guys, come to EAA!
Cheers from Wisconsin -

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
FT Connections at KidVenture (a part of AirVenture aimed directly at children) would also be a great opportunity for Flite Test to get their message out. A lot of balsa glider kits get built there, would be pretty neat for a Flite Test foam board chuck gliders to be built there too.

Jahnkeanater

EAA AirVenture Exhibit

I think flite test should have a booth at EAA to sell speed build kits! I really wanted to go to flite fest but i live in northern Wisconsin and Ohio is kinda far away. You could sell stuff at EAA to help fund flite fest.

Ben Presten

I sent Flitetest an official email inviting them to hang out in our booth at kidventure which has a model field to fly on right in front of it and they did not respond. But I also would love to see them there.

rcspaceflight

creator of virtual planes
Personally with how big AirVenture is, I would love to see the FT guys go to it and enjoy it and then make it into an episode. Instead of them even bothering trying to sell stuff there. You know, see them have fun with it and relax instead of turning it into work. Well, I mean recording interviews and their experiences is still work, but fun work. Not the work of sitting in a booth selling stuff. I do want to see them to more full scale stuff and that's what AirVenture is all about. :D

AkimboGlueGuns

Biplane Guy
Mentor
Yeah, that's really what I was thinking, there isn't really any RC stuff at AirVenture because it wasn't intended to be an RC event. I'd just really love to see what the FT crew thinks of an event that huge with that many airplanes.

BTW when I say huge, I mean David hhhhhhuuuuggggeeeeee. There are airplanes that come for the other side of the world, and often times people come in June to help set up. About 3 weeks before the event even starts there are planes flying over my house non stop .

MrClean

The thing about having control line and free flight chuck gliders at air venture is you dint have to worry about fly aways into an already crowded pattern so I understand the low presence of rc there. When I went in 2011 my info said no rc in the camp area but there were a couple little foamies. We didn't take anything granted we were camping of our motorcycles. I could get my quad in my trailer somewhere in thinking. This year however though we had planned on returning I'm trying to sell my house and move so no Oshkosh. No great airshow. No acres of fantastic planes. None of the best I've can cones!
It ain't fair I tell you.