flite test crew /dwindeling

Jerry SR

who is left actively in the crew doing builds flying quads tricopters etc.,is david coming back is peter and josh around,any new builds coming in multirotors etc. old man wondering

abieex

Mentor
Great question! Nothing fresh from FT recently I'm afraid. The Bloody Wonder has been redesigned many times and now a redesign of the Arrow is coming up. It also appears that anything Graupner will get much attention and a favorable review. Have I outgrown FT or have they outgrown me? I never thought for a moment that I would get so bored of FT. Only the FT Forums hold my interest now.

Crazy Goats

I love the forum too.

Unfortunately there have been quite a few threads about this topic lately. It seems that many people are starting to become bored with FliteTest. Honestly, I used to be counting the seconds till the next episode, but now I dont even care when I get a notification in the email. I am definately looking forward to the Race Wing thats coming up though.

I am not sure if FT will ever be the same due to changing laws. Also, FT has to have some sort of scripting, and edited videos, simply because they are selling products. But the best critisism is constructive criticism, so lets hear some suggestions and tips from the crowd. We can't help FT just by complaining, we have to give suggestions, and ideas.

I'll lead off. I think FT needs to have more fun. We need more of the old, "dont care if we crash, lets go have a great time". Maybe more faceoffs, or more broken planes.

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
We can't help FT just by complaining, we have to give suggestions, and ideas.

I'll lead off. I think FT needs to have more fun. We need more of the old, "dont care if we crash, lets go have a great time". Maybe more faceoffs, or more broken planes.

This reminds me of the time David blew up the Spitfire on Josh's maiden. While that probably isn't allowed and won't be done again, that kind of spontaneity is missed.

DharanFlyer

This ^^.

The Tie Down Challenge they did recently really had the feel of the Flite Test I love the best. Glider Golf to a lesser extent, but still in that vain (vane?). I miss them laughing and having fun. Setting up just challenges or fun little things that for the most part can be done at home. Balloon pop, spot landing, bomb drop, etc.

Other great recent ones that pop into mind are the Star Destroyer episode, the Sportster Pylon Racing, Airplane vs Drill, FT Mini Arrow launch, and Firefighting Drone.

I realize there is a limit to what you can do with those types of things. Some less "let's have fun" ones like the FPV goggle review versus a straight up sales pitch is much more along the lines of what I like. e.g. the upcoming/recent "Tiny Whoop Killer". Why isn't the Blade 200 and the new Induxtrix up against it? I'd personally find it much more enjoyable to see all three being put through their paces instead of just a episode devoted to the new Graupner product.

Crazy Goats

This ^^.

The Tie Down Challenge they did recently really had the feel of the Flite Test I love the best. Glider Golf to a lesser extent, but still in that vain (vane?). I miss them laughing and having fun. Setting up just challenges or fun little things that for the most part can be done at home. Balloon pop, spot landing, bomb drop, etc.

Other great recent ones that pop into mind are the Star Destroyer episode, the Sportster Pylon Racing, Airplane vs Drill, FT Mini Arrow launch, and Firefighting Drone.

I realize there is a limit to what you can do with those types of things. Some less "let's have fun" ones like the FPV goggle review versus a straight up sales pitch is much more along the lines of what I like. e.g. the upcoming/recent "Tiny Whoop Killer". Why isn't the Blade 200 and the new Induxtrix up against it? I'd personally find it much more enjoyable to see all three being put through their paces instead of just a episode devoted to the new Graupner product.

I agree! Very good guys!

ClearSkiesCalmWinds

Planes, Planes and oh yes, Planes. New fresh DTFB designs. Fly, Crash and Rebuild. There's always new people finding FT. Showcase intermediate and advanced DTFB builds with plans. Speed or complexity (Detail). Maybe once every three months or once every four months. Fuel the collective juices. Clear Skies, Calm Winds.

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Great question! Nothing fresh from FT recently I'm afraid. The Bloody Wonder has been redesigned many times and now a redesign of the Arrow is coming up. It also appears that anything Graupner will get much attention and a favorable review. Have I outgrown FT or have they outgrown me? I never thought for a moment that I would get so bored of FT. Only the FT Forums hold my interest now.

Dude this is like the 3rd thread in the last few days I have seen you trashing FT. If the show bores you take a break from watching what they put out. Like you said you have probably out grown what they offer. After all FT IS and always has been geared towards new people coming to the RC hobby.

I know you have a right to post your opinion as does everyone. The same opinion repeated only makes you look bad as well as puts off people that could be potential participants in the forums and possibly maybe even become that one person you want to come save the show at some point.

I get the same way over winter if I spend too much time playing video games to fill my days since I can not do outside things so I understand what you feel for sure. Give FT a little leeway and just take a break from the show aspect. Hang out in here and help people on the forums or just enjoy what others are doing. Maybe even make your own build thread or some kind of teaching thing to fill the time the show used to amuse you with.

hackofalltrades

Rocket Surgeon
Stuff like Airplane Jenga needs to happen again. Those are the shenanigans that interested me in flying again after a 10 year hiatus. It is sad to see FT get so numbed down. I still really enjoy the show and forum but I miss what once was.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
They just came off Flite Fest, the Red Bull thing and some trips. And I think they are trying to strike a balance between planes and quads and figure that out. And Peter just left - he was a good technical designer. I hope. I haven't actually flown my Sea Otter yet :)

"Laws changing"? How does this impact Flite Test? I suppose some of the pyrotechnic episodes could impact insurance rates.

Mike

Crazy Goats

And Peter just left - he was a good technical designer. I hope. I haven't actually flown my Sea Otter yet :)

"Laws changing"? How does this impact Flite Test? I suppose some of the pyrotechnic episodes could impact insurance rates.

Mike

Haha I like the otter. It flies great.... In my opinion.

Things like FAA tightening up watch, and stuff. Like you said, pyrotechnics would be off the menu, and some other fun things.

abieex

Mentor
PsyBorg, You, my friend, are absolutely correct. I was in a fairly serious car accident last week and as I sit here trying to heal my broken bones my mood has sagged. Taking my frustration out on the FT guys and those that follow these forums is not fair play on my part. I never meant my comments to be anything but constructive. Thanks for the verbal slap in the head and I'll try to do better. Blue sky to you all! Steve

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
PsyBorg, You, my friend, are absolutely correct. I was in a fairly serious car accident last week and as I sit here trying to heal my broken bones my mood has sagged. Taking my frustration out on the FT guys and those that follow these forums is not fair play on my part. I never meant my comments to be anything but constructive. Thanks for the verbal slap in the head and I'll try to do better. Blue sky to you all! Steve

Wow. Really sorry to hear about your accident. Rest up and I hope you feel better soon Steve.

mikeporterinmd

Still Learning
Haha I like the otter. It flies great.... In my opinion.

Things like FAA tightening up watch, and stuff. Like you said, pyrotechnics would be off the menu, and some other fun things.

For me, the funniest adventure gone bad was when BBC Top Gear flew a home made blimp into an active airport by accident. The tower was not amused :eek:

Mike

kdobson83

I think the guys just have too much on their plates. FF2016 was huge, then the flugtag, now they are prepping for FFWest. They are working on expanding their distribution to Europe. They have taken on the vlog. Obviously FF2017 is less than a year away lol. With Peter leaving and the new hires getting adjusted. There seems to be to much happening ATM. I do agree that these "review" episodes are a bit smelly, but I would imagine they are less time consuming. 2 episodes a week and now 2 vlogs a week is a lot.

But I have said it before and will say it again, I feel like they have fallen away from their roots and gotten a little too businessy. But who knows, with these newer guys like crazy Stefan and the new guy, sorry I don't know his name, might bring some fresh life back into it. Stefan already has in my mind.

I personally miss episodes like when David was speed testing his spitfire I think, and flew it 80mph nose first 15 feet away from the camera. Epic crash, epic episode. I personally want to see more like this. More 'test' and less "review".

Anyway, sorry about my rant. Love FT, love the forums. I'm all in! ��

TexMechsRobot

Posted a thousand or more times
I personally miss episodes like when David was speed testing his spitfire I think, and flew it 80mph nose first 15 feet away from the camera. Epic crash, epic episode. I personally want to see more like this. More 'test' and less "review".

I think this part of your post is where I am. I don't mind the reviews and just wish they were more balanced but I really miss the "test" part of Flite Test.

I love the vlogs!

RCLB

I was also noticing some changes in the episodes, then, a little to no Peter anymore and that kind of shifted things a bit. Still love and watch every episode, for me Flite Test was a big change in my life at this point (I´m 46, hence RC Late Bloomer, he, he), but then, came the Vlogs, and man o man do these guys love us, the time and effort they put on them lets me know that they really care about their viewers, and it might say vlogs, but they have a lot of production/love in them, and to me, that says about the love they have for us, the viewers. A big sincere THANK YOU to everyone at Flite Test and keep it up, always eager for more episodes and vlogs and I hope some day I get to visit you someday. (I hope nothing was lost in translation)

Crazy Goats

I think the guys just have too much on their plates. FF2016 was huge, then the flugtag, now they are prepping for FFWest. They are working on expanding their distribution to Europe. They have taken on the vlog. Obviously FF2017 is less than a year away lol. With Peter leaving and the new hires getting adjusted. There seems to be to much happening ATM. I do agree that these "review" episodes are a bit smelly, but I would imagine they are less time consuming. 2 episodes a week and now 2 vlogs a week is a lot.

Wow you're right they have been super busy. Maybe they need some unpaid volunteers working there to help keep things running?:cool:

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!

Sorry to hear about you having an accident. They are mostly never fun unless you like demolition derby's and such. I to deal with a lot of pain and have for years now. I try not to inflict myself on others when I know I'm near that threshold. I did not mean to come across as a nanny but I find myself doing that same thing like I mentioned with too much time in video games so I thought maybe others are like me and do not realize they/we/I can sound more like complaining then constructive thoughts. It's all good as obviously you are not the only one thinking along those lines and these thoughts are being put out nicely with examples to say what they like and what they don't by many.

In the end hopefully once things settle down for the FT crew and they can focus more on the show then the "job" I am sure we will get more awesome stuff we can cheer about.

Keeping your head right when dealing with a lot of pain can be tough so if you feel the need to vent or get rid of the frustration you are more then welcome to use me as a sounding board in P.M.'s Hopefully you do not have any long term issues and can get back to healthy and happy and get back to flying soon.

airhawk

Crashing Ace
i have to be honest here i was heartbroken to see where ft was going i hadent picked up anything to fly for months because the drive that ft provided was gone.Like so many of you said ft needs to have fun and do more crazy things.Before the videos ft made were almost like freind to freind.Now its starting to become more like company to audiance.I fully support the store but when the ideas arent as fun and crazy before its hard to support ft.I have really grown to love the forums and am regreing that i stopped being active on here.Ft has so much potential they just need to execute it.So many people watch ft because its different form any other channel.Sadly thats not as true any more the editing styles and scripting are very generic.I love FT to death so this really hurts me.Lets hope someone from FT notices this thread.