FLITE TEST CROWD FUND IS LIVE!!

flitetest

Administrator
Admin
<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(250, 250, 250);">

HEY everyone!! CROWD FUND IS LIVE!

Here is the Video and Link for those who have not seen it yet! Lets make this dream a reality eh!? ;)
Thanks to everyone for all the support... you all mean the world to us!!

www.edgewaterairpark.com

Blessings,
Stefan

Fluburtur

Cardboard Boy
Sounds like a great project, too bad I live on the other side of the atlantic because I would love to come!

Seahunter

I am super excited! Its a dream come true. I am 81.5 yrs old, I pray that I will be granted the time to come and meet you guys and see this happen. Keep up the great work. Your team has advanced our hobby to an all time high. All reading this are invited to stop and fly with us at Magic Valley Air Force Field at Henderson TN, We are an AMA sanctioned field with paved runway, pilot stations. rest room facilities etc. Thanks Flite Test!

Flite Risk

flite test support.jpg
So proud to support you guys!!
So happy this is coming together!!!
Wish I could give more money,
I'll give sweat though, It looks like you will need quite a few trees taken out.
I can definately do that.

Last edited:

SlingShot

Maneuvering With Purpose
Sounds like a great project, too bad I live on the other side of the atlantic because I would love to come!

Planes cross the Atlantic everyday friend! Save up your Euros! Allow me to offer a suggestion about economical travel. One option would be to fly into either NYC, Boston or to a lesser extent Washington D.C. I say this because it can sometimes be incredibly cheap from Europe to those airports. Setup some fare alerts.

From there, you could utilize an economical ground transportation option. If you have the time.....

Last edited:

Flite Risk

72% of the way there in way less than 72 hours! This is insane!! I am so happy for FT, glad to have personally be a part of this, and proud to be part of the community!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Nearly 75% already. I think we need to start taking bets on how far over the goal will be final total. As fast as this is moving and with most fund raiser things getting their biggest push at the end of the period I can easily see this initial ask getting enough for all three extended goals in the time allotted. 800k yt subs alone with only ~800 donations so far leaves a HUGE number of potential donors to participate.

Think about it. If only half give 1 dollar that would put the total over 500k. This has the potential for over a mil in 30 days. If the current momentum carries for the entire run that is easily gonna happen.

Addendum: I think anything over the 200k initial goal should be halved and put into a trust that could perpetually earn more funds to work with indefinitely with the other half used to push further into the time line for the build process. Then once the entire property is up to spec that could be reallocated to permanently fund other things like STEM and various out reach programs

Last edited:

jhitesma

Some guy in the desert
Mentor
Addendum: I think anything over the 200k initial goal should be halved and put into a trust that could perpetually earn more funds to work with indefinitely with the other half used to push further into the time line for the build process. Then once the entire property is up to spec that could be reallocated to permanently fund other things like STEM and various out reach programs

Keep in mind most of what they talk about in the video is actually the stretch goals. The $200k goal is just enough for them to move their HQ in. The $300k stretch goal adds in the first actual runway. The $500k goal adds the clubhouse/makerspace/hobby store, The $700k stretch adds in the additional runways and campgrounds that were talked about.

From the initial video it isn't clear at all that those are all stretch goals and not part of the initial plan. I don't think the video is meant to be misleading - just it isn't very clear that a lot of what they talk about is based on stretch goals not the base funding amount being asked for.

Based on the video I wouldn't consider $200k the "initial" goal but rather the minimal goal and $700k is the "initial" to do everything outlined in the video. So it would be anything over $700k when a plan like Psyborg's would make sense.

Though given Austin's business skills and Josh's philanthropic goals I suspect they're already thinking along similar lines if things get bigger than anticipated.

Pigfarm1403

Builder
Hope you guys meet your goal!

Sounds like a big project that requires a lot of imagination and ambition, just the kind of project for Flite Test!

PsyBorg

Wake up! Time to fly!
Keep in mind most of what they talk about in the video is actually the stretch goals. The $200k goal is just enough for them to move their HQ in. The $300k stretch goal adds in the first actual runway. The $500k goal adds the clubhouse/makerspace/hobby store, The $700k stretch adds in the additional runways and campgrounds that were talked about.

From the initial video it isn't clear at all that those are all stretch goals and not part of the initial plan. I don't think the video is meant to be misleading - just it isn't very clear that a lot of what they talk about is based on stretch goals not the base funding amount being asked for.

Based on the video I wouldn't consider $200k the "initial" goal but rather the minimal goal and $700k is the "initial" to do everything outlined in the video. So it would be anything over $700k when a plan like Psyborg's would make sense.

Though given Austin's business skills and Josh's philanthropic goals I suspect they're already thinking along similar lines if things get bigger than anticipated.

I realize the video states the stretch goals which I feel would be easily obtainable in this 30 day period. The reasoning behind splitting after the initial 200k is for several reasons in my head. Getting moved into the new place and having that done correctly before any of the extended goals happens will slow the pace and allow for reality to set in just how big this is going to be out of the gate.

Taking that time early will be a better service over all as they will get over what I call winning the lottery syndrome where there is a high probability to want to do everything at once as fast as possible. I have seen it many times in my years doing construction where an abundance of funding for a project has lead to the projects demise. Things like this will tend to cloud judgement thru added excitement and thinking we have "extra" we can do...more more more. Too much on the plate at once type thing.

Sitting on the money earlier gives it a chance to grow more to be able to do more over time and allows for the Ohhh Shiny!!!! to wear off a bit and let logic and clear thought return. This is not saying anything bad about FT crew or founders or anything like that. Simply stating humanity and how big changes effect people differently. Its better to be slow and have small mistakes or set backs then to jump in feet first and end up with broken legs.

The added time would give them a chance to better sort and choose who and how the work will get done. No offense to the community and the willingness to help spirit of things but on big projects it is best to "go outside the family". None of the Bobby says he can do X and you find out Bobby is not so skilled, or Bobby moves slower then anticipated, or Bobby cut too many corners. It will be in the best interest to have contracted and bonded businesses to do the heavy lifting on a project this big. That way all are covered and the higher chance for the desired outcome to happen.

Take my word on this.. one person gets injured on a project like this and that could end everything in a millisecond. With my injuries I have easily racked up half a million dollars in medical and thats with the insurance company fighting tooth and nail to get out of paying as little as possible. Life happens and you never know how people will react to something as drastic.

Just looking forward with experience and MUCH hindsight. I know our community likes to see the best in people but the real world does not work that way and precautions should be taken to protect what is unfolding here in such an amazing manor and response.

Ray K

Ray K
Just wondering if anyone has explored the idea of making a cloth patch with the founders' logo stitched on it. When I first saw the logo, it looked like a lot of the Air Force patches we wore on our flight jackets. A thought only. Example below:
CAM00044.jpg

Last edited:

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
Just wondering if anyone has explored the idea of making a cloth patch with the founders' logo stitched on it. When I first saw the logo, it looked like a lot of the Air Force patches we wore on our flight jackets. A thought only. Example below:

That is a great idea!

SP0NZ

FT CAD Gremlin
Staff member
Admin
Mentor
I think Flite Test should think about filming a documentary on building our "Field of Dreams" a.k.a. Edgewater Airpark. Just keep gathering footage for the next several years as the property develops and grows. Obviously some of us will be watching it unfold and develop over the next several years as they release video updates and hold events. That said, I still think it would be really neat to see the documentary 5-10 years from now and see how it all came to be. I'm sure that would be a lot of work, but I would love to see it. My 2 cents.

RCdiy

RCdiy
+1 PsyBorg re. keeping it real!
+1 Patch idea

I wonder what the business plan is. The grounds keeping and mortgage is currently being paid for by the golfing fees. If golfing is replaced by aviation where is the revenue to cover grounds keeping and mortgage. Josh & Jen own the land and FT will only be renting from them at I presume fair market rates. I can't imagine enough flyers paying golfing rates to cover these costs.

Back to the party!!! It is awesome to see the funding pouring in!!! I hope this becomes a destination location like Disney :)

Anyone know of local camper rentals?

Ray K

Ray K
I think Flite Test should think about filming a documentary on building our "Field of Dreams" a.k.a. Edgewater Airpark. Just keep gathering footage for the next several years as the property develops and grows. Obviously some of us will be watching it unfold and develop over the next several years as they release video updates and hold events. That said, I still think it would be really neat to see the documentary 5-10 years from now and see how it all came to be. I'm sure that would be a lot of work, but I would love to see it. My 2 cents.

Great idea, Sponz. It really shouldn't require that much extra filming, either. Mostly editing what they shoot on virtually an every-day basis, or so it seems to me.

Balu

Lurker
Staff member
Admin
I wonder what the business plan is.

They have some ideas already: The rent that is paid will cover some of it. They will have events, some paid entrance and some donation based. There will also be the hobby shop and the maker space that people can rent access to. And if they get their multipurpose building it will be able to be rented out too.

Josh has lots of ideas.

In addition they could have sponsors and allow them to put up banners (like they have at the old location already) or pay for areas ("Fatshark FPV Playground")...

Last edited: