Flite Test Design Engagement Challenge

Ok so who’s all gonna be part of the challenge, head count!

• Total voters

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
I may be a little late to the party, but I guess I'll use my Blunder Bee V3, it'll be finished within a week and a half, if I'm allowed to go downstairs again... The Covid test is not fun :I
Anyways, I guess this would count as a vintage aircraft since the original Bees were inspired by the Lanzo Bomber style skinny fuselage, super high mounted wing. I'll have a boxish fuselage, like the Simple Cub with some foam molded on the bottom and top, but the sides are flat. Also, quite large under-cambered wingtips. View attachment 182482 View attachment 182481
View attachment 182479
There are some photos of the original balsa one from an RC groups thread:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2315829-Queen-BEE
Those wings have my attention except for the undercamber. Thats gonna add up to a bunch of drag. Maybe try both styles

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
Good luck fighting rona
Those wings have my attention except for the undercamber. Thats gonna add up to a bunch of drag. Maybe try both styles
Thanks, I'm already back to normal 🙃, but have to stay away for a bit since I may have virus particles basically everywhere. For the undercambered wings, I've been thinking about reducing the undercamber if it can't fly too well in wind with the extra drag. Basically, I'll try to balance stall speed and top speed.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Thanks, I'm already back to normal 🙃, but have to stay away for a bit since I may have virus particles basically everywhere. For the undercambered wings, I've been thinking about reducing the undercamber if it can't fly too well in wind with the extra drag. Basically, I'll try to balance stall speed and top speed.
Top speed always wins 😂 jkjk

Piotrsko

Master member
At low alpha, undercamber wings really aren't that draggy, but they shine for going slowly at high angle of attack. The other difficulties are making it stiff enough to not flutter, and strong enough to do higher G Maneuvers that occur when going faster

The Fopster

Master member
Flew the Miles Hawk Speed Six prototype again today. Still having some servo issues (I think my cheap 5g servos are struggling with too much friction in the pushrods) but got two six minute flights in and came down in one piece each time. Paint this weekend...

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
At low alpha, undercamber wings really aren't that draggy, but they shine for going slowly at high angle of attack. The other difficulties are making it stiff enough to not flutter, and strong enough to do higher G Maneuvers that occur when going faster
The shape makes it rigid enough for normal flight, but I glued a bbq skewer from the wingtip to about 10cm past where the undercamber stops.

leaded50

Legendary member
joined late, but.... (at least trying) i was bored awaiting parts for other builds to come for complete finish, and see much in the forum, typical a few planes are close to "norm" ;).
For ONCE im working with a "regular" plane, boxy, scord lines eg.. typical of the FT planes before Master Series.

Threadstarter made this comment: " there isn’t much focus on fun, boxy, and easy to build planes I was hoping Flite Test would pull through and engage the forum community. "
Well... fun, boxy, easy?
DSC_0463.JPG

Then i suppose a Cartoon P-51 could fit!
Idea was done in some hours to completion.... canopy, and electronics & paint its whats back (possible a landinggear perhaps)

Ranger_107

Elite member
joined late, but.... (at least trying) i was bored awaiting parts for other builds to come for complete finish, and see much in the forum, typical a few planes are close to "norm" ;).
For ONCE im working with a "regular" plane, boxy, scord lines eg.. typical of the FT planes before Master Series.

Threadstarter made this comment: " there isn’t much focus on fun, boxy, and easy to build planes I was hoping Flite Test would pull through and engage the forum community. "
Well... fun, boxy, easy?
View attachment 182791

Idea was done in some hours to completion.... canopy, and electronics & paint its whats back (possible a landinggear perhaps)
nice, kinda looks like a super cartoon duster

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
I've gotten my ailerons cut and hinged. I tried to copy the FT Bloody Baron's 1 servo with 2 pushrods going to 2 ailerons with the control horns at an angle.
1604859885340.png

1604859985533.png

The Hangar

Fly harder!
Mentor

Well... fun, boxy, easy?
View attachment 182791

I like it!

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Flew the Miles Hawk Speed Six prototype again today. Still having some servo issues (I think my cheap 5g servos are struggling with too much friction in the pushrods) but got two six minute flights in and came down in one piece each time. Paint this weekend...
I only run the Emax 12g metal gear servos in every plane under 60”

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Ive never had issues with undercambered wings fluttering in high g maneuvers with foam board planes 🤷‍♂️ Depends how you reinforce them I suppose