Flite Test Design Engagement Challenge

Ok so who’s all gonna be part of the challenge, head count!

• Total voters

Quinnyperks

Legendary member
I guess I'm back in for now, I'll be a bit behind but that's fine. I need a good relaxing build; I'm honestly not doing too well right now.

I got home last Friday, almost exactly one month after I left. Evidently I had some undiagnosed anxiety, I didn't even make it through receiving week. I got covid too so they locked me in isolation for 14 days beforehand, I was in pretty bad shape coming out and I'm still not feeling perfectly alright.

Not sure what I'm going to build yet, something gentle. I don't have any planes that I trust right now except for a glider or two, I need a trainer and I'm open to suggestions.
sorry man

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
Thanks everyone.

There you have it: it's easy to teach someone to fly when you hand them a trimmed gentle aircraft up 3+ mistakes high.

Hey @Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes : are they going to let you back in? Really sucks otherwise.
Most likely, I'm looking at options in the Air Force as they have a more direct path to becoming a pilot. I'll probably have to finish my BS first but it is what it is.

As for the challenge I haven't decided on anything yet but I'm considering restarting the U-2 project, I got a new 70mm EDF that actually fits the fuselage I built. It's winter too so I can actually build master series planes without the heat messing up the hot glue.

Last edited:

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
I've got a few good ideas in the works, I'll be out of town next week and won't be able to start on anything until I get back so I'm in the planning stage currently. I really want to focus on some gentler planes to help improve my flying ability. I'm thinking I'll probably start off with a PT-19 and that Mossie I was talking about a while back, after that I might restart my U-2 with a new, better EDF I built before I left. The windy season is just about over so lighter planes are an option again.

mackaiver

Elite member
Since the master series projects have taken much of Flite Test’s time and there isn’t much focus on fun, boxy, and easy to build planes I was hoping Flite Test would pull through and engage the forum community. My idea is as follows:
Have everyone design their own plane that will be judged in a few different categories. -Performance in a submitted video,
-Professionalism/Looks (can still be boxy and beautiful)
-Ease of build/simplicity of parts to scratch build/cut
Ideally there would be a few categories of builds, Warbirds, Jets, GA, Vintage Aircraft, Aerobatic aircraft, and general just miscellaneous flyers that don’t represent anything. Ideally I think it would be great for the community to have a competitive design/build off every so often and have the winner(s) work with @SP0NZ in making their design a flite test official build. However I think the recognition of being put in an FT video would also be a great winner reward. I have more ideas here but lets work it out below 🤘
i would like to but it will be hard because i don't have the budget for the electronics.:(

Ryan O.

Out of Foam Board!
A few design flaws I'll beed to fix by the next iteration, but overall it's a pretty simple build, and yes, it is decently box
image.jpg

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
I've got a few good ideas in the works, I'll be out of town next week and won't be able to start on anything until I get back so I'm in the planning stage currently. I really want to focus on some gentler planes to help improve my flying ability. I'm thinking I'll probably start off with a PT-19 and that Mossie I was talking about a while back, after that I might restart my U-2 with a new, better EDF I built before I left. The windy season is just about over so lighter planes are an option again.
For EDFs Id recommend the larger you go the more efficient they are it seems... however with a U2 that makes things a little difficult

DinosEatPeople1

Elite member
I was thinking of a ww1 biplane but I have only found the Albatros to be a plane to make. There were a few other ones I liked but the shapes were a bit complicated to make. For example a plane I saw had a circular shape transition into a boxier shape. Doable with balsa but not foam. I kinda want to make an Aeronca Champion as master series bit we will see

Grifflyer

WWII fanatic
I don't know why I had to go with white paint and red painted over white decals, when I could have done the reverse and do fewer coats of paint, but It turned out decent. For the plans I'm making a 3d printable template piece, and a normal paper template for the hexagons. View attachment 184436
I really like that plane! I'm interested in seeing how it flies