Flite Test Design Engagement Challenge

Ok so who’s all gonna be part of the challenge, head count!

• Total voters

The Fopster

Master member
Not sure I get all the negativity around John O's designs. The way I see it, there are some great, very professionally produced plans for very thoroughly designed and tested planes that we can all get for free, or kits if we want to buy them. I've bought several SBKs when I started out, and then scratch built a couple from FT free plans. But inspired by FT, John O and the many designers on here I've started designing my own planes. I doubt I'd be doing it without FT and John, but now I'm going to build one of Niez's designs next (from the utterly brilliant 13thsquadron website already mentioned in this thread). I don't see John trying to stifle anything - he and FT will do their thing, and as I get better at building with less hand-holding (professional plans and build videos etc.) I'll build community designs off here. It's all good!

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
At this forum, we enjoy making planes to fly with, and help others make something to fly with. Some more or less wants to also make it "natural" best possible, others not. Anyway we all enjoy the community if is about FT planes, or forum members own designs.
What FT, then of course also John if are under cocoperaton/contract with FT, have at goal, are of course as a company to make models/plans on planes that sell! Thats standard commercial way "of life"!
Of course, if main of members here talks, wants, make, a "Birdie-plane" over time,.... John or/and FT see this as commercial interesting to have such one in their line. Stealing, copying? If are exactly a copy of a members shared plans/build method, the member should be credited as least though. But if you make a Birdie, and John/FT make a Birdie with some changes on how did it, its not any such.
The idea isnt something we could blame others do, planes in all different shapes are done over a lot of years. Even just Aerofred have approx 11000 build plans , if someone makes one similar, or after the planes, then we could say we stole it too...or?
Most of in scratchbuilding do something the way we want, to fit better, or we believe thats a better way of doing it. Whatever if its 100% similar in view... it doesnt need be in how made.

We need see the difference of a commercial actor, and a private hobbyperson doing just for fun. As long something is shared, it will always be others closing up to similar idea. And to "complain" on a commercial actor because made something similar as you done... is a jealousy on reputation, or money of others, instead of enjoy your self by the satisfaction that youve given such, by a idea other would use.
A moral aspect isnt a virtue all over mainly, remember that! If someone is afraid someone copy your work, then you cant share it!
What you don’t understand is @Grifflyer kits his planes as well and its odd that John went to a box style inner construction like Nate’s for his minis rather than just doing what he does on his master series. It just is fishy and also what happened to the Niez family isn’t right. I wont share that conversation with them though because it is private.

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Without sharing all the information we have found it is difficult for yall to understand what angle we see this as. However a lot of the information we have has occurred because of private conversations with people in the FT community that would not want their opinions to surface. Its all very secretive and very personal.

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
What is the scoring system going to be?

Since I'm leaving for Basic Training in 3 weeks I don't really have time to finish a fresh build, is it alright if I enter something I've already finished?

I've got two planes I'm considering entering, the Albatros and Draco. Neither have been maidened but I feel more comfortable getting a few flights in on the Albatros before I leave. If I crash Draco it won't be repaired for at least a year and I'd rather display it for that time. I still need to finish painting both too. I can probably assume I'll have to choose between the two, one entry per person?

IMG_20200724_150843.jpg
IMG_20200708_171653.jpg

Joe Carpino

I’m thinking about submitting this for the challenge.
1596548172260.jpg
This is a French Breguet I made last year for the Rhinebeck Competition. It flys great and fairest easy to build. Boxy and a couple formers like any other ft model. It runs on the C pack radial with a 1300mah 3s. I just have to make some plans for it and then test them and it should be all good.
1596548360582.jpg

Crawford Bros. Aeroplanes

Legendary member
I’m thinking about submitting this for the challenge. View attachment 176344 This is a French Breguet I made last year for the Rhinebeck Competition. It flys great and fairest easy to build. Boxy and a couple formers like any other ft model. It runs on the C pack radial with a 1300mah 3s. I just have to make some plans for it and then test them and it should be all good.
View attachment 176346
I fold.