Flite Test Design Engagement Challenge

Ok so who’s all gonna be part of the challenge, head count!

• Total voters

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
Would this qualify?
Build Thread
Plans
230478_2d891c23bb9643dda1dd0b178a8ea558.jpg
As long as its foam board and your design sure!

Ranger_107

Elite member
Alright this thread wasnt supposed to be name dropping and bashing people in FT’s wheelhouse but yes my two cents is it appears as if John is trying to smother builders in the community by duplicating or playing off their ideas. For example as soon as @MiniacRC and @Grifflyer ‘s minis started blowing up we started seeing Johns minis that just so magically happened to appear. This takes away from the credit the actual revolutionary builders on here deserve since Griff put ungodly amounts of time into designing his mini spit and 109 and since John is covering it up with his minis itll be like Griff’s never even existed like how everyone forgot about the Niez family and their master series planes that were in development way before John came along
Well at least we know that some of his designs are his like all of his jets and the p-38. those are feats of foamboard!

Alright this thread wasnt supposed to be name dropping and bashing people in FT’s wheelhouse but yes my two cents is it appears as if John is trying to smother builders in the community by duplicating or playing off their ideas. For example as soon as @MiniacRC and @Grifflyer ‘s minis started blowing up we started seeing Johns minis that just so magically happened to appear. This takes away from the credit the actual revolutionary builders on here deserve since Griff put ungodly amounts of time into designing his mini spit and 109 and since John is covering it up with his minis itll be like Griff’s never even existed like how everyone forgot about the Niez family and their master series planes that were in development way before John came along
I didn't want to feed the fire - offtopic and negativity & all - and I hear you. I just wanted to add that when I read your post here about the minis the first thing that came to mind was the FT team in one of their meetings @ their conference table, and the Bix asks what's new, what's hot, what do we need to focus on. And somebody that monitors the forum says Minis are all the rage right now, and Bixler says "awesome, the master series has been moving us a little too much away from the newer builder, limited budget, just starting out. We should offer more smaller planes that are one step up from our old trainers to offer more build and flight challenge. Overstreet - can you work on a couple designs?" - "Yep, no sweat." And so there's a new herd of minis.

I was just thinking it could be innocent.

leaded50

Legendary member
At this forum, we enjoy making planes to fly with, and help others make something to fly with. Some more or less wants to also make it "natural" best possible, others not. Anyway we all enjoy the community if is about FT planes, or forum members own designs.
What FT, then of course also John if are under cocoperaton/contract with FT, have at goal, are of course as a company to make models/plans on planes that sell! Thats standard commercial way "of life"!
Of course, if main of members here talks, wants, make, a "Birdie-plane" over time,.... John or/and FT see this as commercial interesting to have such one in their line. Stealing, copying? If are exactly a copy of a members shared plans/build method, the member should be credited as least though. But if you make a Birdie, and John/FT make a Birdie with some changes on how did it, its not any such.
The idea isnt something we could blame others do, planes in all different shapes are done over a lot of years. Even just Aerofred have approx 11000 build plans , if someone makes one similar, or after the planes, then we could say we stole it too...or?
Most of in scratchbuilding do something the way we want, to fit better, or we believe thats a better way of doing it. Whatever if its 100% similar in view... it doesnt need be in how made.

We need see the difference of a commercial actor, and a private hobbyperson doing just for fun. As long something is shared, it will always be others closing up to similar idea. And to "complain" on a commercial actor because made something similar as you done... is a jealousy on reputation, or money of others, instead of enjoy your self by the satisfaction that youve given such, by a idea other would use.
A moral aspect isnt a virtue all over mainly, remember that! If someone is afraid someone copy your work, then you cant share it!

JasonK

Participation Award Recipient
wait? so if we can get multiple people to say they like something we might get a FT speed build kit for it? :)

BATTLEAXE

Legendary member
Overstreets are doing Mini's??
How did i miss that?

Mr.Grinch

FT is busy with whatever they have going on. Overstreet’s designs are about all they have coming out and are being spaced out 4-6 per year.
Don’t take his designs as theft, bullying or whatever, he’s very good with his designs and has basically unlimited resources to make the projects as good as he can make them. He’s got tons of great designs,but it’s not like we will be seeing most of them as SBK’s any time soon, if at all.
Just keep developing your projects and sharing the plans, regardless if John or FT are doing something similar, at least we can all appreciate, enjoy and maybe even build along. We can share ideas for mods that can actually be incorporated and plans updated, something that doesn’t happen with SBK’s.
Keep up the great teamwork!!