Flite Test Design Engagement Challenge

Ok so who’s all gonna be part of the challenge, head count!

• Total voters

bwarz

Master member
attempt #2 nearly ready. now for some nice weather...
1600313694867888883141239054185.jpg

wing fillers are a bit big and not concave enough but for my first try I'll deal with it!
16003135409777595309387314317851.jpg
16003135651757259696941150865150.jpg

If the crappy weather continues for too long I might just get bored and paint it:ROFLMAO:

bwarz

Master member
Wait - I didn’t notice those till you mentioned it - that’s amazing! How did you do it?
The turtle deck is posterboard. Remember the underwear-looking piece? It has the concave edges. I scored the line on the posterboard and once glued to the underwear :)ROFLMAO:) it ended up looking pretty cool.

bwarz

Master member
On another note, I've reminded myself that 1. I'm impatient 2. I'm still a noob. 3. Both 4. I'm a doofus. 5. all of the above

I took the P36 out for a maiden this evening at the club weekly fun fly. Lots of people to chuckle at my 'landing'. The source of all of the multiple choice options above is me being lazy about the CG. She was t....a.....i....l......h....e....a....v....y. She flew like butt most of the time. I did find a throttle setting where I got it to fly kinda like an airplane. Cut the throttle and it was a white albino Flipper the dolphin. Or was he a porpoise? Either way trying to land was a mess. We sorta got some video, but we're still learning that too:LOL:

In all though, a miserable cartwheel landing. In the nature of the beautifully light DTFB planes, the only real issue was a broken prop. Oh yea, and my ego:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: For some whacko reason, I actually thought about trying it again when I found a spare prop in the radio box....what the heck is wrong with me!!???!?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

I'm confident that with a bit more patience and some dummy actually getting the CG right, she might be a fun flier. We'll see - maybe this weekend?

In other flying news, I think I broke my mini zero trying to set the rates to high and doing a roll too close to the ground. No pain no gain, right? At least the simple scout came home unscathed

FlyingWithRyan

Elite member
On another note, I've reminded myself that 1. I'm impatient 2. I'm still a noob. 3. Both 4. I'm a doofus. 5. all of the above

I took the P36 out for a maiden this evening at the club weekly fun fly. Lots of people to chuckle at my 'landing'. The source of all of the multiple choice options above is me being lazy about the CG. She was t....a.....i....l......h....e....a....v....y. She flew like butt most of the time. I did find a throttle setting where I got it to fly kinda like an airplane. Cut the throttle and it was a white albino Flipper the dolphin. Or was he a porpoise? Either way trying to land was a mess. We sorta got some video, but we're still learning that too:LOL:

In all though, a miserable cartwheel landing. In the nature of the beautifully light DTFB planes, the only real issue was a broken prop. Oh yea, and my ego:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: For some whacko reason, I actually thought about trying it again when I found a spare prop in the radio box....what the heck is wrong with me!!???!?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::rolleyes:

I'm confident that with a bit more patience and some dummy actually getting the CG right, she might be a fun flier. We'll see - maybe this weekend?

In other flying news, I think I broke my mini zero trying to set the rates to high and doing a roll too close to the ground. No pain no gain, right? At least the simple scout came home unscathed
Josh’s best quote is a noseheavy plane flies poorly, a tailheavy plane flies once.

bwarz

Master member
Josh’s best quote is a noseheavy plane flies poorly, a tailheavy plane flies once.
yea. and the crapper is I knew it was tail heavy before launching. just impatient. I love that quote btw. I was lucky in that it lives to fly another day. Before next attempt (after balancing of course) I think I'm going to dial back the throws so I don't do what I did to my zero:eek::LOL:

yea. and the crapper is I knew it was tail heavy before launching. just impatient. I love that quote btw. I was lucky in that it lives to fly another day. Before next attempt (after balancing of course) I think I'm going to dial back the throws so I don't do what I did to my zero:eek::LOL:
Oh that's awful. On the maiden of my biplane it took me the better part of a battery pack to figure out the erratic pitching wasn't a design problem, it was CG. (I'm new.) All it took was one cm of battery placement to fix it. It's unnerving to fly a plane I don't have complete control of. I don't ever want to experience THAT again.

bwarz

Master member
Oh that's awful. On the maiden of my biplane it took me the better part of a battery pack to figure out the erratic pitching wasn't a design problem, it was CG. (I'm new.) All it took was one cm of battery placement to fix it. It's unnerving to fly a plane I don't have complete control of. I don't ever want to experience THAT again.
last design the cg felt great (pitch angle likely my last problem) . but then I added the wing fillets which of course added weight behind the cg. I need to either add weight inside the cowl or trim the back of the power pod a bit to give more forward room for the battery. Glad to hear you found your problem without needing a rebuild:D

last design the cg felt great (pitch angle likely my last problem) . but then I added the wing fillets which of course added weight behind the cg. I need to either add weight inside the cowl or trim the back of the power pod a bit to give more forward room for the battery. Glad to hear you found your problem without needing a rebuild:D
Haha one good little bump on the nose AFTER I fixed the CG! For your plane - next time you'll build the fuse 1/2" longer? To heck with "scale"! It's a foamboard toy. It'll still look just like the thing it's supposed to look like...

The Fopster

Master member
My simple Miles Hawk Speed Six is coming along. Simple box fuselage with poster board upper. Chose the full size as a subject as that's pretty much how the real thing is shaped! Got a few days away now - thinking time while I figure out how to install and access the power system and receiver!
IMG_20200918_213430937~2.jpg
IMG_20200918_213010959~2.jpg
49715378063_cd4da62a9d_b.jpg

Last edited:
My simple Miles Hawk Speed Six is coming along. Simple box fuselage with poster board upper. Chose the full size as a subject as that's pretty much how the real thing is shaped! Got a few days away now - thinking time while I figure out how to install and access the power system and receiver!
View attachment 179382 View attachment 179383 View attachment 179384 View attachment 179382 View attachment 179383 View attachment 179384
Wow from pictures I didn't imagine it would look so sharp. That's a really handsome airplane. Really good lines. Now I wanna make one. (y) You win!